Sign in to follow this  
jersey_emt

Couple of potentially collectible Ruger .22's - shoot or no?

If you were able to obtain a brand new, boxed, unfired .22 LR Ruger Mark I for about $300-$350, would you keep it unfired, or retain it as a collectors' item?

It was manufactured in 1976 and has the following engraved on the top of the slide by the factory: "Made in the 200th year of American liberty".

Same deal with another Ruger...if you were able to obtain a brand new, boxed, unfired .22 LR Ruger Mark II NRA Endowment Special Edition for $350-$400, would you keep it unfired, or retain it as a collectors' item?

This was a recent special edition that was done by Ruger when the Mark III was developed and released. Here's some info & pictures:

MK4-NRA.jpg

Would you buy both and keep one unfired and use the other one? Which one?

Most of these "commerative guns" are so "not rare" as to not be collector pieces. They're not much different than the colored presidential quarters hawked on TV at 3 am. All the insomniacs have bought them and they're just not that rare which impacts their overall value.

1) I'm with TBtrout. If I can't shoot it, then I may as well have bought a 'commerative plate'.

No safe queens for me! Okay, maybe Matt. But come on, guns are made to be shot. Not stared at every few days and handled like precious diamonds. Buy'em, and shot the crap out of them. It's what there for.

I have one safe queen handgun, springfield 1911 nra 125th anniversary, still unfired to today, but i have other 1911's too shoot.. so i can keep this one unfired..it is up to the individual you cannot look to someone else for advise in this situation. it is your responsibility!!

Yeah, I'm generally a believer in things should be used -- classic cars should be driven, not sit in a garage. Guns should be fired, not kept behind glass.

But because these were brand new and unfired, I wasn't sure. I really like the Mark II with the white grips, the engravings (combined Ruger/NRA logo at the muzzle end of the slide, Will Ruger's signature, and the Ruger logo on the bolt) are very nice too. I think I'm going to go ahead and get that. I will shoot it, but will take extra good care of it and maybe get a second .22 LR pistol to be a primary shooter.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I just wanted to see if it would be crazy for me to use and shoot these guns.

Well, I decided to get the NRA special edition Mark II. The one in the pictures above with the white grips and engraving. It's going to cost $360 after shipping and FFL transfer fees. Not a bad price for a brand new, unfired Ruger Mark II with some cool extras to make it different from most other Mark II's.

And yes, I am going to shoot it. It is going to be my third gun, and my primary .22 LR handgun.

Well, I decided to get the NRA special edition Mark II. The one in the pictures above with the white grips and engraving. It's going to cost $360 after shipping and FFL transfer fees. Not a bad price for a brand new, unfired Ruger Mark II with some cool extras to make it different from most other Mark II's.

And yes, I am going to shoot it. It is going to be my third gun, and my primary .22 LR handgun.

If you can buy a gun that is "commemorative" and out of production for about the same street price as a normal one, what's that tell you? I'm sure it'll be pretty and all and once you realize it's a fun pistol, it'll be a great shooter too!

i would shoot it - very common model , thousands produced - you do not see them often because ruger collectors are sitting on them waiting for price to go up -