GoNRA

Best Home Defense Rifle

I'd say anything you're comfortable enough with shooting. As long as you know how to properly manipulate the firearm in a stress situation, then anything else is a moot point. Sure, there might be over penetration, but that's what situational awareness is for. If you know someone or possibly someone is behind the target and could be in harm's way from FF, then don't pull the trigger. If you think you might end up shooting through your house into the neighbor's, look for a better shot. Personally, I'll stick with my AR any day.

Upstairs

M4 with Eotech and Surefire vertical grip/flashlight

Remington 870 as backup

FNP-45 as secondary weapon

Downstairs

Beretta Storm 9MM (only because it's a rifle or else I would never choose a 9MM for HD)

Glock 20C as secondary

Basement

The entire safe!

for those of you with shotguns.. the shotgun is a GREAT effective weapon.. but im not sure what thats going to be like going off in pitch black enclosed area.. my shotgun is pretty loud.. is that really a good in the home weapon..

for those of you with shotguns.. the shotgun is a GREAT effective weapon.. but im not sure what thats going to be like going off in pitch black enclosed area.. my shotgun is pretty loud.. is that really a good in the home weapon..

Even a .22 is going to be loud inside your house. Your hearing is going to be all messed up and probably your eyesight, and your blood is going to be pounding just about fast enough to squirt out your ears..and why would you be shooting into a pitch black area that you can't aquire your target? make your shot(s) count.

Even if your at an outdoor range and forget your ear protection for 1 shot, your ears will probably ring.

First don't shoot into the dark, you need to know your target, that's what lights are for. ANYTHING that you shoot in such an enclosed area is going to be LOUD, between not being used to shooting without hearing protection and you being in such a confined space your ears will probably be ringing for a while. However with your adrenaline pumping during the incident you probably wont realize your ears hurt until after the threat has subsided and you've had a moment to remove the oh shit factor.

First don't shoot into the dark, you need to know your target, that's what lights are for. ANYTHING that you shoot in such an enclosed area is going to be LOUD, between not being used to shooting without hearing protection and you being in such a confined space your ears will probably be ringing for a while. However with your adrenaline pumping during the incident you probably wont realize your ears hurt until after the threat has subsided and you've had a moment to remove the oh **** factor.

Much truth in your statement. I know there are arguments against it, but my HD pistol AND 12ga both have tactical lights on them. I'm not stalking prey, I need to see what I'm pointing the firearm at. Plus with how bright they are, perhaps god willing the moment of blindness will allow me to resolve the situation peacefully. And if not, the light will help me stay on target to do what I have to do to protect my family. That's really all you can hope for in a situation like that.

First don't shoot into the dark, you need to know your target, that's what lights are for. ANYTHING that you shoot in such an enclosed area is going to be LOUD, between not being used to shooting without hearing protection and you being in such a confined space your ears will probably be ringing for a while. However with your adrenaline pumping during the incident you probably wont realize your ears hurt until after the threat has subsided and you've had a moment to remove the oh **** factor.

Much truth in your statement. I know there are arguments against it, but my HD pistol AND 12ga both have tactical lights on them. I'm not stalking prey, I need to see what I'm pointing the firearm at. Plus with how bright they are, perhaps god willing the moment of blindness will allow me to resolve the situation peacefully. And if not, the light will help me stay on target to do what I have to do to protect my family. That's really all you can hope for in a situation like that.

I also have a light on my 12 ga and a remote pressure pad makes a world of difference. I'm not saying to leave it on all the time, enough to get an idea of where you are, identify your target and beyond. If you give a quick flash at the cieling you'd be amazed at how much it lights up the room and quickly too! I personally think doing this may not give away your position as much.

I also have a light on my 12 ga and a remote pressure pad makes a world of difference. I'm not saying to leave it on all the time, enough to get an idea of where you are, identify your target and beyond. If you give a quick flash at the cieling you'd be amazed at how much it lights up the room and quickly too! I personally think doing this may not give away your position as much.

I've been thinking about the pressure switch for the 12ga (don't need it on the XD) but since the shotgun is what my wife would use, and she doesn't get much practice, it would be one more thing to think about if the SHTF. The less she has to do the better her chance of success. Hell that goes for me too, it's not like I've had extensive tactical training. Trying to keep it simple!

For her, I said turn the light on, rack the sucker, stand at the bedroom door and don't let anyone up the stairs. Anything moves up towards you after repeated warnings to leave our house, let em have it.

while i can agree that ALL guns are loud... im not willing to agree that there is even a remote comparison between 22 and 12 gauge.. and while i would obviously not point my firearm into the complete darkness, and fire.. and i DO have weapon mounted lights.. its STILL going to be pretty dark.. im just saying i would think that after many trips out shooting both numerous times.. to me a shotgun inside an enclosed room or hallway would be deafening.... i own a shotgun and love it.. but im just trying for my own good, to compare the blast of something like a cx4 and my 12 gauge.. and thats the reason for inside at least ive decided to settle on the storm.... reduced "blast"... reasonable accuracy... less mess.. magazine capacity.. etc.. im not downing anyone who chooses a shotgun , like i said they ARE devastating.. but im just not sure i could personally handle that "blast" effect inside...

im not downing anyone who chooses a shotgun , like i said they ARE devastating.. but im just not sure i could personally handle that "blast" effect inside...

This has been a great conversation. And you are right. EVERYTHING is a trade off. If there were one "perfect HD gun" then everyone would use it in every situation!

I'd like to ask you what lights you have. I have a SureFire X200 and a StreamLight TRL1. Both light up EVERYTHING in the room just by turning them on, it's not dark at all. And the spotlight portion is enough to blind anyone not wearing black glasses. They key is to blind the target so the "extra" light only helps you, and not them find where you are.

I've been thinking about the pressure switch for the 12ga (don't need it on the XD) but since the shotgun is what my wife would use, and she doesn't get much practice, it would be one more thing to think about if the SHTF. The less she has to do the better her chance of success. Hell that goes for me too, it's not like I've had extensive tactical training. Trying to keep it simple!

For her, I said turn the light on, rack the sucker, stand at the bedroom door and don't let anyone up the stairs. Anything moves up towards you after repeated warnings to leave our house, let em have it.

If you're comfortable with that then that's what you should use. You're worthless with a weapon you're not comfortable with. The remote switch isn't going to do much harm if you can't figure it out when shtf. Only disadvantage is the cord hanging off when you goto use the gun for something else.

while i can agree that ALL guns are loud... im not willing to agree that there is even a remote comparison between 22 and 12 gauge.. and while i would obviously not point my firearm into the complete darkness, and fire.. and i DO have weapon mounted lights.. its STILL going to be pretty dark.. im just saying i would think that after many trips out shooting both numerous times.. to me a shotgun inside an enclosed room or hallway would be deafening.... i own a shotgun and love it.. but im just trying for my own good, to compare the blast of something like a cx4 and my 12 gauge.. and thats the reason for inside at least ive decided to settle on the storm.... reduced "blast"... reasonable accuracy... less mess.. magazine capacity.. etc.. im not downing anyone who chooses a shotgun , like i said they ARE devastating.. but im just not sure i could personally handle that "blast" effect inside...

Not disagreing with you at all. All guns are going to be loud in a confined space and some louder than others. Like I said the best gun is one you're comfortable with. To me that's the shotgun, the benefits of the stopping power and wound profile outweigh the hearing loss.

im not downing anyone who chooses a shotgun , like i said they ARE devastating.. but im just not sure i could personally handle that "blast" effect inside...

This has been a great conversation. And you are right. EVERYTHING is a trade off. If there were one "perfect HD gun" then everyone would use it in every situation!

I'd like to ask you what lights you have. I have a SureFire X200 and a StreamLight TRL1. Both light up EVERYTHING in the room just by turning them on, it's not dark at all. And the spotlight portion is enough to blind anyone not wearing black glasses. They key is to blind the target so the "extra" light only helps you, and not them find where you are.

point taken.. i guess in thinking about it it WOULD light up the whole room... i mean ALL of my lights do that.. as they are really bright.. and what you said about trade offs.. again %100 true..

This may sound weird, but I actually keep a set of electronic ear muffs next to the bed. I figure it's a plus to get the amplification so I can hear what's going on around me a bit better, and, if God forbid, I need to start making loud noises, I won't go deaf in the process. Now, whether I'll actually have the presence of mind to put them on and flick the switch is another thing entirely. Hopefully I never have to find out.

Oh, and for the OP - Mossberg 590A1 loaded with 00

I love the bang-bang without hearing protection... until I damaged some of my hearing in my right ear when I lost my protection! Oh, those danger close missions :roll:

But hey, if we're talking principle of gun lights, I agree that it makes you a target if you leave it on... so I do support pressure switches, just make sure to dry run with them so you are comfortable using it in a pressure situation. But if we're talking lighting in general, flipping on a switch might scare away the bad guys so you never need to resort to pulling the trigger.

I never said it was a good idea to shoot guns without hearing protection. All I said was anything you shoot in your house is going to be loud. Even my damn BB gun is louder than you would think. If you need to prove it to yourself.. just go to the range and take a shot or two without ear protection. That's all I was saying.

Every time you make your ears ring, you've done some sort of incremental damage.

I never said it was a good idea to shoot guns without hearing protection. All I said was anything you shoot in your house is going to be loud. Even my damn BB gun is louder than you would think. If you need to prove it to yourself.. just go to the range and take a shot or two without ear protection. That's all I was saying.

Every time you make your ears ring, you've done some sort of incremental damage.

unless you are at an indoor range and do that you will still have no idea.. the sound of a firearm out in an open field.. and that same firearm inside a room at night and day imo..