NJJim

Favorite Web sites.

hahaha @ Tally!

"Wacker" . . .

A person, who is in the Fire, EMS, or Police service, or one who badly wants to be apart of such service. A wacker always has the latest gear, the "coolest" shirts and plenty of stickers on his car. Wackers often overdoo everything, such as lights, sirens, or expensive equipment. These items are almost always paid out-of-pocket, as no organization can justify that much wasted spending. Wackers are most commonly between the agest of 14 and 30, and are usually trying to show off to others, how "cool" they are for being a Firefighter, EMT, Police officer, or for wanting to be one of the above. A Wacker can often be found with their radio turned way up, so that everyone can hear it from a mile radius, or sitting around their local headquarters trying to catch any scrap of action going on in any of the surrounding districts.

"Hey look at that kid with his saturn, he joined the fire department last week and now he has a lightbar and stickers all over it, what a wacker!!"

lol....not mine bud. That's just insane! No wacker cave either, just a scanner sitting on my night stand. I am just nosy and like to know whats going on instead of waiting 2 days for it to come out in the news. Oh, and I have plenty of "life". ;) I started out when I was a kid, I would see a fire truck or a cop going a bazillion miles an hour and always wondered what was going on. I was tired of always wondering, so I got a scanner.

BTW, wackers will refer to their equipment rooms as "command posts" :roll: :lol:

Big stuff right now...

Little Silver had a pursuit, Rumson PD joined once they entered their town, car crashed into the oceanic bridge in rumson and the suspect is in the water. USCG, Monmouth County, and NJSP helicopters are enroute, requesting everyone available to assist in the search. Had sightings of the person, but keep losing sight of him, unknown if he conscious. Scuba dive teams requested. Live feed available at... http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1783 click on middletown area fire.

Edit...suspect was recovered, alive. Being combative, unk severity of injuries.

Chad, I'm having some difficulty with some of the lingo. Listening to NJSP under the bergen county tab.

BTW - saw what you meant about newark being unprofessional...

Dan...the state police have their own language lol, they are pretty hard to follow. This should help you out for sure....

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/State_Police_%28NJ%29

this was a couple days ago, but some dude supposedly drowned on Greenwood lake in my town. But now they are saying he faked his death to avoid his debt. WOW

And I can't listen to the scanners, just the sound drives me insane. My buddy was on the FD and the Ambo and he had one of those super duper scanners in his car that got like a million stations, you couldn't even have a conversation in his car so annoying. Now that he's a professional Firefighter, he doesn't even have it in his car anymore :lol:

ps Chad, get a life dude

And I can't listen to the scanners, just the sound drives me insane. My buddy was on the FD and the Ambo and he had one of those super duper scanners in his car that got like a million stations, you couldn't even have a conversation in his car so annoying. Now that he's a professional Firefighter, he doesn't even have it in his car anymore :lol:

ps Chad, get a life dude

+1 matt.. My old man and my two uncles are professionals. It's a world of difference.

I'm proud to say I graduated from the whacker academy. Been there, done that, still have the T-shirt. I started as a Cadet and went to assistant captain. I had the bars on my collar, whacker clothes, stickers, oxygen tank in the trunk.. etc etc etc. I'm still on the squad.. but my duty night is all I answer. My pager is turned off when it's not Tuesday. I don't even have any blue lights any more. I can tumble out of bed, search for my shoes, and drive the speed limit, and still beat the rest of the crew there, without blowing red lights and being dangerous. Still have the siren installed.. but it's only used to scare my sister when she walks in front of my truck :-P I don't have my duty belt anymore.. I'm too fat for it anyways.. I have a girlfriend who does not wear EMS T-shirts and combat boots.. When I'm driving the ambulance.. I prefer to drive it cold.. easier than dealing with idiots who like to slam their breaks and freak out when they see an ambulance.

sheesh.. I'm kinda glad that those years of my life are over. When you try to transition from whacker to try to get something good changed.. the system.. like most things in NJ is soooo fcked up.. it's gunna take a nuke to fix it.

Whackers are not bad people, they are good hearted, and do it for free.. they just need to wake up :-P

but thanks NJ for the free training.. I have helped lots of people for free, and I can pick up a part time job pretty easily if I need to. Corzine only stole a lot of that money. :-(

Yes, wackers are absolutely consumed (live, sleep, breathe, eat, sh*t) with being part of volunteer work. I was a firefighter for a few years after high school, when I lived in Toms River I never really fell into the whole thing of that business of lights / sirens / etc. Never bothered with it...for whatever reason, I just felt it was not necessary. I always looked at wackers as a group of people who are finally fitting in with people like them. I accepted them, never made fun, and just laughed inside at myself and sort of felt bad for them in one hand and was happy for them in the other.

I just look at it as a hobby, something to do. Some people reload ammo for relaxation, others go to a shooting range and some people might even go to the gym for relaxation, I listen to a scanner. I have the kind of personality where my mind must keep busy or I will go nuts. Just like the aforementioned hobbies, it is not for everyone. Scanners might annoy the crap out of one person, while reloading or working out might annoy the crap out of another. I work 80 + hours a week because I enjoy it, while work may annoy others. I even work in my sleep...I keep a voice recorder with me all the time, at night it goes on the nightstand and I wake up usually about 1 or 2 times a night with thoughts or ideas about work and I will record them and play them back in the morning and write them down. Now, that may annoy some people, but I enjoy it. Weird? Sure. Do you have any idea how weird the anti's think we are? Its all how you perceive things. Its all relative. ;)

Ed thats funny, you just described my buddy to a T. He had the lights scanners everything. He had the scanners on in his house every night, and every time it went off, he would wake up, and if people didn't respond he'd be out the door responding for people who didn't show up. It was highly out of control if you ask me.

Now he goes in, works his 24 hour shift, and doesn't think about work or a scanner until 4 days later when he goes back in for his 24 hours. It's pretty amazing.

I thought about volunteering for the FD but I can sleep through anything so that probably wouldn't work for me and with school I have no time. But do appreciate all you fellas that donate your time!

Chad, you wake up in the middle of your sleep to record yourself talking, you are freaking insane. Your wife is a saint I have just decided!