Malsua

Cabelas 500 rounds of 9mm for $110 + tax?

Friend emailed me this one. Anyone have more info?

Cabelas has some issues shipping to NJ, do they do ammo or no? I know they were not shipping primers or something recently.

------------------

PMC 9mm Ammo - 500 rounds delivered for $110

Buy ten boxes at $10.99 each, then use code "9SANTA" for free shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0067445217043a.shtml

If there's a Cabelas in your state, they'll add sales tax.

This is Korean-made 115gr ammo. Good stuff. Reloadable.

You can Google this ammo for reviews.

They also have 40cal on sale -- $150 for 500.

Doubt they will ship to NJ if they prohibit shipping us primers.

3000 rounds of 7.62x39 in my garage and 1000 rounds of .40 cal in my garage right now all from them.

Been ordering for them over the last 6 months no trouble with ammo, I am pretty sure it's only powder and primers.

Doubt they will ship to NJ if they prohibit shipping us primers.

3000 rounds of 7.62x39 in my garage and 1000 rounds of .40 cal in my garage right now all from them.

Been ordering for them over the last 6 months no trouble with ammo, I am pretty sure it's only powder and primers.

Good to hear. Very strange why they will ship handgun ammo but not primers.

Glad I reload all my own pistol ammo.

I put in two orders using the $20 coupon. My friend and I ordered shotgun ammo last month and it shipped with no problems.

The MFS 2000 ammo on sale for $9.99/box of 50. I have heard good things about it. Let us know how you like it. It will be testing mine next weekend.

Argh, d*mn you people :) So I did this one for the 9m, then figured WTH, I need .45 and you can never have enuff .22lr, so off I went to Ammo to go, now $300 poorer all the way round---

I hate to tell you how many 9mm and .45's you could have handloaded with $300.00.

With lead a 4 to 1 ration and with jacketed a 3 to 1 ratio.

If you can spare some "fun" money it would be worth it to start investing in some reloading equipment.

Free lesson's in Forked River. ;)

I hate to tell you how many 9mm and .45's you could have handloaded with $300.00.

Tell me, I'd seriously like to know.

For $300, how many 9mm FMJ's could I reload? What would be the upfront equipment cost and per round cost for primer/powder/bullets/brass? How long would it take in time to handload $300 worth?

I am sure, but I did also get a brick of .22lr in there :mrgreen: That 500 each of 9 & .45 will last me a couple of months, likely into the summer....

I am collecting my (reloadable) brass at this point for the pistols and m1, when I decide what other rifle to get next year, will save that right off the bat as well.

Really a function time right now at least, lots going on at home, can barely squeak time out to hit BA/CJRPC indoor once every two weeks, and forget about spending a day outdoors shooting on a weekend :roll: i will certainly take you up on that free lesson, and probably drag along a fellow shooter with the same time issues that lives in Waretown. I did tell my wife already that I am calling the JCG and Hi power clinic days for 2010 at CJRPC as boys day out at the range, and to schedule stuff around them 8-)

Tell me, I'd seriously like to know.

For $300, how many 9mm FMJ's could I reload? What would be the upfront equipment cost and per round cost for primer/powder/bullets/brass? How long would it take in time to handload $300 worth?

I'll break it down this way. Buy in bulk and save.

5000 CCI small pistol primers $136.99

4lb. jug of powder. $68.00. 4lbs of powder will make 6000 rounds of 9mm.

Lead bullets $63.00 1000

Jacketed bullets $95.00

Brass free since I save it all.

Works out to like $5.00 or $5.50 a box of 50.

Since I use a single stage press I can only do 50 rounds in 20 minutes. If I went with a progressive press it would only take a few seconds to crank out one round after I had the press all set up.

I would take Mauser88s' advice. I have started reloading for my .223 after taking a lesson from Mauser88. I have reloaded at or around 800 rds through my progressive. Albeit I do not have the vast experience and knowledge as Mauser88 I can load about 200rds through my progressive in less than an hour. Thats if all cases have been prepped beforehand. It is interesting and rewarding prepping your own rounds. I have not regretted it since I began. Have not bought any .223 ammo in well over a month and have been shooting every weekend at least a 100rds a session if not more.

The initial cost can be From $200 to over $1000 depending what you buy. You will save money over time if you save any at all. Because once you realize how cheap it is to load, you will shoot more of it. So in the long run you will shoot more for less but equal the same. :?

One thing is you will also stock up on components and be able to shoot when nothing is availible. I know last year I had no issues doing range trips and neither did Mauser or anyone else I know that has been loading for a few years.

Ahhhhh the joys of reloading. The press is you biggest and most expensive decision. Research research research. I've been reading crap for months and still have no decided on a press yet.

M

Really depends on how you want to reload. I do it because I enjoy it more then the savings cost. For me it's very relaxing and I do it when time permits.

If you strictly reloading rifle ammo then the single stage RCBS Rock Chucker is the way to go.

If you want to crank out a bunch of pistol ammo in a short amount of time then one of the Dillion progressive press's are the best.

Me, I'm in no rush and still use my second hand RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press since 1982.

Lead bullets $63.00 1000

Jacketed bullets $95.00

Since I use a single stage press I can only do 50 rounds in 20 minutes. If I went with a progressive press it would only take a few seconds to crank out one round after I had the press all set up.

Thanks for the reply Mauser! This helps me do some crunching and get an idea of the "break even" points.

Ok, assuming I buy at your recommended quantities, then upfront supply costs are:

Primers - $137/5000, or ~$0.03/round

Powder - $68/6000, or ~$0.01/round

FMJ Bullets - $95/1000, or ~$0.10/round

Brass (cleaned, deprimered, sized) - $62/1000, or ~$.06/round (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150161842, this is assuming I'm starting from scratch and don't have a big pile of processed brass to work with)

So assuming that I need a "seed" batch of brass to start with, my initial supply up-front costs are $362 (does that include shipping and tax?) without including any of the "fixed equipment" (press, dies, sizers, brass tumbler, tumbler media, trays, scales etc.). Any estimates on the "fixed equipment" costs to start with?

Only looking at the supply costs, that first batch of reloading comes out to $0.20/round. If I didn't have to buy the prepped brass, it would be $0.16/round.

Assuming that 100 round WWB ammo at $23/box shipped becomes a "regular" price again, I'm saving $0.03 or $0.07 per round, $1.50 or $3.50 per box of 50, or $3.00 or $7.00 per box of 100.

If I can get some numbers on what the actual equipment costs are then I can work up a "break even" point as in a number of rounds you need to shoot to justify the start up investment in reloading equipment and supplies.

Lead bullets $63.00 1000

Jacketed bullets $95.00

Thanks for the reply Mauser! This helps me do some crunching and get an idea of the "break even" points.

Ok, assuming I buy at your recommended quantities, then upfront supply costs are:

Primers - $137/5000, or ~$0.03/round

Powder - $68/6000, or ~$0.01/round

FMJ Bullets - $95/1000, or ~$0.10/round

Brass (cleaned, deprimered, sized) - $62/1000, or ~$.06/round (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150161842, this is assuming I'm starting from scratch and don't have a big pile of processed brass to work with)

So assuming that I need a "seed" batch of brass to start with, my initial supply up-front costs are $362 (does that include shipping and tax?) without including any of the "fixed equipment" (press, dies, sizers, brass tumbler, tumbler media, trays, scales etc.). Any estimates on the "fixed equipment" costs to start with?

Only looking at the supply costs, that first batch of reloading comes out to $0.20/round. If I didn't have to buy the prepped brass, it would be $0.16/round.

Assuming that 100 round WWB ammo at $23/box shipped becomes a "regular" price again, I'm saving $0.03 or $0.07 per round, $1.50 or $3.50 per box of 50, or $3.00 or $7.00 per box of 100.

If I can get some numbers on what the actual equipment costs are then I can work up a "break even" point as in a number of rounds you need to shoot to justify the start up investment in reloading equipment and supplies.

If you decide to start I'll gladly donate 500 pieces of brass.

Secondly you really can't bring start up cost into the equation. Yes, it may cost more then you want to spend but will last a lifetime.

Prices I quoted were either shipped or picked up so no freight should be included.

I would start with the RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit. Cost is appx. $275.00 Depending on how you want to do it I'd say add another $50.00 for a few more important items.

9MM Lee carbide 4 die set appx. $25.00

Electronic digital caliper from Midway appx. $25.00.

Now again, that's the bare minimum to start but your ready to reload 9mm.

...Secondly you really can't bring start up cost into the equation. Yes, it may cost more then you want to spend but will last a lifetime. ...

Why not!? I want to get a rough estimate on how much I need to reload to actually save money.

I would start with the RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit. Cost is appx. $275.00 Depending on how you want to do it I'd say add another $50.00 for a few more important items.

Ok, $375 in bare minimum equipment start up costs. I'll note that does not include any brass prepping equipment or supplies.

$375 in equipment / $0.07/saved per round means I'll need to reload ~4,870 rounds to recoup the equipment cost.

I think I'm currently shooting about 1500 rounds of 9mm/year, so in 3 1/4 years I can realize the savings to cover the 'bare minimum' startup costs.

...Secondly you really can't bring start up cost into the equation. Yes, it may cost more then you want to spend but will last a lifetime. ...

Why not!? I want to get a rough estimate on how much I need to reload to actually save money.

Ok, $375 in bare minimum equipment start up costs. I'll note that does not include any brass prepping equipment or supplies.

$375 in equipment / $0.07/saved per round means I'll need to reload ~4,870 rounds to recoup the equipment cost.

I think I'm currently shooting about 1500 rounds of 9mm/year, so in 3 1/4 years I can realize the savings to cover the 'bare minimum' startup costs.

Never said it was worth it for everyone. Some people can't justify the cost of joining my club either CJRPC.

However if you are a "gun nut" like myself then the cost is justified. If your a casual shooter then maybe reloading isn't for you.

Also 9mm is probably about the WORST caliber to compare costs with. Start to compare prices of store bought .45 acp or .40s&w compared to what your reloading it yourself. .40s&w is going at about 24 dollars a box I think you can reload it for under 10 dollars a box thats where the savings start coming from.

And reloading rifle cartridges forget about it, there is so much saving there is not even funny.

But you have to keep in mind what Tim mentioned because its cheaper to reload and because you'll be reloading say 500 rounds at a time, you will have more ammo on hand. Because of this you will shoot A LOT more. Now in my eyes this is not a bad thing because a practiced shooter is hopefully a good shooter and isn't that the whole reason we got into this sport?

Also down the road you will probably be expanding the guns you have. You have 9mm now, soon maybe you'll have .45acp etc etc its much easier to just reload your own ammo and know you have the ammo instead of relying on Wal-mart to have it.

To give you an idea of costs.

I'm looking at either getting a used Dillon Square Deal which will load all pistol caliber, you can find a used one with 1-3 dies for around 350 bucks to your door.

I'm also looking at a used Dillon 550b which will reload pistol and rifle. These start to get into the 400-600 range with some dies.

I'm also looking at a brand new Hornady LNL AP which is a progressive press that will do both rifle and pistol. It can be bought for 400 dollars shipped to your door brand new and you get 1000 free bullets from hornady up til the end of this month. Then the dies are about 30-50 for a set, and you need a shell plate which is 30 bucks per caliber.

I've also bought almost all my accessories including a scale, ammo boxes etc etc and that cost me another 230 dollars.

As you can see if you buy all the stuff and you go progressive it can be a little pricey. But if you plan on loading a lot of ammo and do a lot of shooting, its totally worth it.

M

Never said it was worth it for everyone. Some people can't justify the cost of joining my club either CJRPC.

However if you are a "gun nut" like myself then the cost is justified. If your a casual shooter then maybe reloading isn't for you.

Try justifying the cost of OBRPC :D

yeah, I was gonna start with .30-06, ROI should be faster on that round, then .223 & .45 ACP, before 9mm. If I get real ambitious and there are dies for then, 7.62x38R.

You reload 7.62x38r not only because its cheaper, but because you can have it always not sometimes and because you can reload it so its not corrosive YAYYYYY

Your looking at for .30-06 without paying for brass at like .20 cents a round ish. buy it in the store and your paying like .44 cents a round. Don't quote me, thats just quick math I did because I don't reload .30-06

yeah, I was gonna start with .30-06, ROI should be faster on that round, then .223 & .45 ACP, before 9mm. If I get real ambitious and there are dies for then, 7.62x38R.

You reload 7.62x38r not only because its cheaper, but because you can have it always not sometimes and because you can reload it so its not corrosive YAYYYYY

Your looking at for .30-06 without paying for brass at like .20 cents a round ish. buy it in the store and your paying like .44 cents a round. Don't quote me, thats just quick math I did because I don't reload .30-06

There's a pretty abundant supply of hotshot 7.62x38r on the market now. its all brand new non-corrosive. It is expensive, around 50 cents a round.. but then again.. The Nagant Pistol isn't really fun to shoot (unless you are lucky enough to have a silencer for it). I shot about 21 rounds from mine then I was done. That's a caliber you load for fun.. not for defensive purposes or to save money :-P

Thanks for the replies all!

I'm not trying to poke holes in the "reloading saves money" argument, just trying to see if it makes sense for me with what I shoot at the moment. I shoot 9mm the most and 12 gauge second (I'm not even considering reloading .22 LR :lol: ). I already hear that 12 gauge isn't worth it.

I know I'd enjoy learning how to set up and use the equipment and actual reloading, so that's something else to consider.

My next purchase is probably going to be an AR type rifle, so perhaps once I start shooting .223 the numbers will become more compelling in my case.