Sign in to follow this  
rauchman

M&P advice.....

Greetings my fellow brothers and sisters of the Lead Slinging Association of NJ.

I just sold an XD9 Tactical to a fellow NJGF'er, Chad. A very nice guy who is supposed to be a daddy sometime today...wish him congratulations!!!

Now, with the funds acquired from the sale, I am buying an M&P....only problem is...which one?

If we were in a free state, it would be no question....and M&P9 or 9 Pro would be gotten without another thought. But, being that we live in a state where we are one step away from communism and have a 15 round mag limit, having a neutered 9mm (M&P9 has a 17rnd mag in free states, vs a 10rnd mag here) is a hard pill to swallow for me.

Some backround...

I was originally going to trade my XD9 Tact for a G26, but that deal fell through. Keep in mind, I have 2 G19's and a G17 (G17 also has 10 round only mags.......grrrrrr), so the G26 would have been a a nice addition. Also have a bunch of other stuff... HK USP45F, P7, Beretta 92FS (wife's), P226, CZ75SA .40, SA 1911 Loaded, etc..... didn't want to give the impression of being a Glock only guy.

I was in Meltzers a couple of weeks ago, and handled an M&P9C, M&P40 & M&P45C. All very nice pistols. All had the thumb safety, which I want. The M&P9C seemed to be in between a G19 and G26 size wise and has a 12 round mag. I liked it .... a lot. The M&P40 has a 15 round mag and felt very nice in the hand also. Does anyone know if anyone makes a conversion barrel for a M&P40 to convert to 9mm? The M&P45C was really nice, but it only has 8/10 rounds and I'm a big fan of LOTS OF BULLETS. Probably a bad comparison, but I used to play paintball competitively about 10+ years ago. It was always better to have lots of ammo than not and my mentality on real guns is the same way.

So, kind reader, what I need from you, is your advice on helping me make the choice of .....

M&P9C, or

M&P9 fullsize ( I deal w/ the 10 rnd mag issue, or find somewhere where a 17 mag can be blocked to a 15 rnd mag) or

M&P40 fullsize (this would be the leading contender if aftermarket conversion barrels for 9mm are available)

advice....thoughts.....???

Thanks,

Ken

Storm Lake makes barrels quality stainless barrels for the full size S&W M&P products. They sell a .40 to 9mm Conversion barrel for the full size M&P. If you replace your mag with a 9mm M&P mag, you will even be able to reliably shooting 9mm from your gun also.

I would go with the .40 and not worry about ammo. 9mm is getting really hard to find, yet i always see .40 on the shelves. I am now looking for a .40 gun to shoot just so I dont burn through my 9mm and .45 stores.

The M&P40 is a great gun. I had a 9mm and sold it because of it's size vs capacity drove me nuts... but it was a really nice shooter. Just not nicer then my CZ85. I say go for it and lets us know your thoughts. You would always be able to sell it here if you dont love it. It's just money.

I have a 9mm M&P..... I love it.

But I do agree with above..... get the 40, and then get a Storm Lake 9mm conversion....

I agree.

I have the full size 40 and it's by far my favorite pistol. Balances and fits my hand well, shoots soft and accurate and has nice fit & finish. Plus, 15+1 40's is a comforting thought.

If you are around Friday afternoon, I should be meeting klutch at Bullet Hole to do some shooting.

Of course I will have my M&P 9 with me and you are more then welcome to shoot it at will ;).

If you are a .40 guy, then get the 40 and conversion barrel (believe they have .357 sig barrell too and uses same mags as .40.

I have no desire to change from 9mm, so 9mm it is for me.

I am not quite sure why axeman_g can't find 9mm, but it is EVERYWHERE now.

One possible tie-breaker could be checking to see if any of the models have a lesser availablility of spare parts & accessories.

I mention it because I bought the M&P45C not long ago, and while I love the gun itself, I've been a bit frustrated with the limited options for holsters & attachments. Plus the 8 round magazines for the 45C have proven to be hard to find and expensive. This might ease eventually and may not even be an issue for you as the M&P models you're looking at have been out a bit longer than the 45C, but I can speak from personal experience when I say it's probably worth checking into before you buy.