NJ609

HD Shotty Ammo

This has been hashed over time and time again on every gun forum. If you are going to grab a gun, you had better have your cell phone in your hand and call 911 so the dispatcher can hear (and record) you telling the purp to leave, that you have a gun and are afraid for your life, right before you blow the MoFo away!

First one loaded is birdshot, next 5 are OO. I think that is the legal way to do it.

I'm not worried about legal since the criminal is breaking into my house threatening my families safety. Even in NJ, if they continue the threat towards you or another inhabitant of your house, it's legal to respond with force.

I may only get one shot to protect my wife. I can't live with myself if it's a non lethal warning round and she gets hurt or god forbid worse because of that. Just something to think about.

I agree about the protection part. But in NJ there is no castle law and if you use firearms to defend your house you will become an inmate. As far as force goes there has to be a match of force. Basically if they are using deadly force it can be met with deadly force, but the state of NJ says if there is a second way out of the house like every house in the state deadly force can not be used you must try to exit the second exit.

I would be interested in seeing this law if you could provide a link. As far as I'm aware you're wrong, there is a castle doctrine in NJ. You have no duty to retreat within your home.

We covered the castle law in a few threads

here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2674&p=30401&hilit=castle#p30401

and

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3301&hilit=castle

There is probably more.

I understand that, I was referring to the law he stated required you to find a 2nd exit first. I would rather find these now than when its too late.

I understand that, I was referring to the law he stated required you to find a 2nd exit first. I would rather find these now than when its too late.

There is no obligation to retreat in your dwelling. He won't find any such link because it doesn't exist.

(2)The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; nor is it justifiable if:

(a)The actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or

(b)The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i)The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor;

Basically, if you're outside and can run away or give the bad guy your wallet, you have to EXCEPT in your dwelling.

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om ... =0&y=0&zz=

and

There is probably more.

I don't know if it's written I was in conversation with by best friend who is a LEO and some of his fellow LEO's and this is what they were saying but they said it like you should be doing this cause otherwise it's prison.

and

There is probably more.

I don't know if it's written I was in conversation with by best friend who is a LEO and some of his fellow LEO's and this is what they were saying but they said it like you should be doing this cause otherwise it's prison.

"Retreat within your dwelling" is certainly not supported in the statutes governing use of deadly force. You don't have to find a second exit or crawl into a closet. If you are within your dwelling and your life or others within the dwelling are threatened, you may act. There must be a threat but you may also estimate the need to act. It is not an absolute, it is an estimate. I'm sure there is settled case law surrounding these statues that has further ramifications but the statutes are pretty clear in this instance.

To stay on topic, I will answer the question. Sellior & Bellot 00 Buck has the lightest recoil out of all the ones I've tried, which include: Federal Low recoil, Remington, Hornady TAP, Military buckshoot, and Winchester.