Scottcba1

Glock 22....any info??

So I have been looking to add a higher power handgun to my collection and I came across a nice looking Glock 22(Full size 40cal. for any non-glock people).

Anyone have any pro's or con's on this gun? Any personal experiences? Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

Until the trigger issue there were no problems of any kind. I was very proficient with it and really enjoyed everything about it at the time. I have since moved away from plastics as well as 40 cal. Nothing against them it's just not where I'm at anymore.

I'm holding it right now, still feels good in the hand. I like the original grip design.

I use to drive passed you all the time, I was commuting to Absecon everyday for 3yrs. I no longer make the drive. Thats really cool that you would let me try the Glock out. Let me see, I maybe shooting another one on Tuesday but I appreciate it. If it doesnt work out I will PM you.

Thanks again!

-Scott

I've read on a few different occasions where Glock 22 and 23s have had "failure to extract" problems when a weapon light is mounted to the handgun. If I remember correctly it was attributed to the 22/23s using a 9mm frame, but it's been a while, so I could be wrong. Never seen it myself, but just an FYI. Might be worth some further research if you plan on running a light.

If your interested in a 40 cal you should try the cz75b in 40cal. I shot that and a Glock 23. The 23 had a noticeable snap, But the recoil on the CZ felt like a 9mm. I was shocked because I didn't like 40cal till I tried it on a heavy frame. Glocks are nice weapons though.

If your interested in a 40 cal you should try the cz75b in 40cal. I shot that and a Glock 23. The 23 had a noticeable snap, But the recoil on the CZ felt like a 9mm. I was shocked because I didn't like 40cal till I tried it on a heavy frame. Glocks are nice weapons though.

I take it the CZ is a full frame compared to the polymer frame of the glock?

The main reason I was looking at the Glock 22 was because I came across a nice deal on a used one but I will have to keep the CZ in mind as well. Thanks for the info!

-Scott

I've read on a few different occasions where Glock 22 and 23s have had "failure to extract" problems when a weapon light is mounted to the handgun. If I remember correctly it was attributed to the 22/23s using a 9mm frame, but it's been a while, so I could be wrong. Never seen it myself, but just an FYI. Might be worth some further research if you plan on running a light.

So their 22 is the same frame as the 17? So with a slide/barrel swap you can have a 40cal and a 9mm??

-Scott

So if i mount a light on the rail it may cause a failure to eject problem?

-Scott

There have been isolated issues with Glocks but for the most part, they are rock solid guns. If you like how it feels in your hand it's good to go. I don't happen to like them, but they are very good guns.

Thanks for the info! I hope it fits my hand and shoots nice!

-Scott

From what I've READ, in some cases, yes, it may cause FTEs.

So their 22 is the same frame as the 17? So with a slide/barrel swap you can have a 40cal and a 9mm??

I don't know if it's exactly the same or if works like that. Again, what I wrote is based on memory of stuff I read a while ago.

Don't take any of it as gospel, but as a starting point for some more research ;)

A Glock 22 is my carry gun. It has never given my a bit of trouble. That is a pleasant change from my previous handguns. Mine has Trijicon night sites and is otherwise completely stock. It's easy to maintain and parts and accessories are plentiful.

One more advantage: the gun has a low bore axis, meaning that recoil is lessened. Also, the plastic frame actually lessens the recoil shock.

-Scott

The only malfunctions I ever had with my glock was with a TLR1 mounted, I would get 3-4 malfunctions per mag this gun was manufactured 4/09 so its recent. However I know police departments that issue the 22 with the TLR which i dont think they would do if they had these problems. From what Ive read its due to the weight of the light and the frame flex and the polymer glock light does not cause this issue.

Here are a couple threads on other forums that discuss the malfunctions:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showth ... tion+light

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40781&page=2

However I know police departments that issue the 22 with the TLR which i dont think they would do if they had these problems.

If you look around online, there's supposedly quite a few departments that moved away from G22s because of the malfunctions.

Anyway, I'm starting to come across like I'm bashing the 22, and I'm not. Just passing along some of the things I've read. There's plenty of people that have gone thru thousands of rounds without a single malfunctions in their 22s. Just do your research and decide if it's right for you :)

Greetings,

I did own one from '99 to 2001 or so. If you like it, it is an outstanding pistol. I am an internet commando and like the tacticool guns. 15 rounds of .40 w/ a standardized rail (at the time I got mine, I believe Glock was one of the few offerings that had the standardized rail) sounded great to me. However, I personally wasn't that crazy about it. I thought it was exceptionally snappy in .40. Shooting it one handed, I got a lot of torqueing in the hand. Shooting it w/ both hands, I didn't think it was all that accurate. In fairness, this was my 1st Glock and at the time, I really wasn't used to the Glock trigger. Also I wasn't as good a shot then as I am now. Regardless, it was considerably harder to get a good group as compared to a P226 9mm or Beretta 92FS that I also owned at the time. Ultimately, the pistol just didn't do it for me. This was the 1st pistol I sold and learned that there are some pistols that just don't work for me. These criticisms are all subjective and I'm sure there are lots of folks who love their G22, and G23's for that matter. The only Glock .40 I'd consider is the G35. Having said that, I love the 9mm and .45 Glocks. I do believe the 9mm Glocks are some of the best 9mm offerings out there. Off all the Glocks, it seems the .40's are more problematic than Glocks other offerings. I understand Glock has revised the chambers on the .40's to address the KaBoom reports. I've read numerous reports of G22/23's having cycling problems w/ lights attached. I understand the Gen4 Glocks are supposed to address this problem as well.

As for my favorite .40, right now it is the M&P. It recoils much more favorably and is easier for me to be accurate on. Having said that, I do think Glock has a much better stock trigger.

I bought a Glock 22 because it was light. In retrospect that wasn't the smartest decision I've ever made. IMHO the Glock 22 is too light for the .40 cal round. It kicks like a mule after about 30 minutes I can't keep my hands steady enough to shoot it accurately more than 10 yards. Personally I don't like the fact that it's double action only and has no exterior safety. You can put a lighter trigger on, but I won't as there's no external safety.

I put a Hogue grip on it to lessen the beating on my hand. As far as reliability goes... No jams with about 1000 rounds of .40 and 2 due to faulty ammo with my Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel out of a few thousand. It's a pleasure to break down. It takes less than 1 minute for me to break it down completely for cleaning (I'm not quick by any means either).

It is a great gun, but the polymer frame is way too light for an extended session at the range. 180 grain ammo is the standard. I prefer 165 grain if I can find it and they make 155 gr I believe. I switched to 9mm for the range due to the price of ammo. I'd look for something in an all metal frame for .40 caliber. I don't know if Beretta makes a .40 cal, but their 9mm is nice. I haven't shot a Sig Sauer, but I've heard great things. You also need to find what's comfortable in your hand.

RANGE REPORT:

Sorry for the delay. I had a chance to shoot the Glock 22 that I was interested in purchasing and I have to say it is a pleasure to shoot. I have seen in this thread, as well as been told in person, that longer range sessions then what I had could result in the gun becoming more uncomfortable, but at this momment I am happy.

I didnt have any problem with the grip. It was very comfortable. The recoil, I thought, was easy to manage and not that much more then my Ruger SR9. The accuracy is awesome! My first 10rds knocked the bullseye out of my target at 10yrds with no strays. Even with some rapid firing the clusters were still tight.

I will say that I did only bring one box of 50rds. and now looking back I probably should have brought more but I didnt want to purchase too much 40cal. if I didnt like the gun I would have been stuck with it. After the 50rd. session I put a deposit on the gun and Hopefully will be taking delivery next week sometime.

Thanks for all the help and information from everyone. Once again, a great community came together to help out and I am very appreciative.

-Scott

-Scott

You don't need a slide just a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. About a $100