XDJohnTact

How do you know?

I picked up a Mosin M91/30 Tula yesterday and broke it down. It is pretty easy to tell when the metal is clean and free of the cosmoline but how do I know when I have the stock clean enough to use. Too cold to use the sun on the car trick (and you know my wife is not going to let me bake it in the oven, even if it did fit) so I started with the Mineral Spirits/Brake Kleen method. I can tell that there is quite a lot off but when do I stop? Funny thing is the stock looked almost "perfect" when the cosmoline was on it and as I stripped it, I can see there is a patch on the very front of the stock, probably done at the refurbishing armory. It is a good fix but, or course, the wood is a different shade. Not an issue for me since I bought it to be a shooter, not a looker.

Be careful with the Mineral Spirits/Brake Kleen method, as it has the possibility of harming the wood. For dents, an easy way is to set a damp paper towel on the dent and then hit it with a hot iron(dont let the wife know). Also for cosmo if you have a heat gun they work out great just keep it moving, not in the same spot. I have a little more passive way of dealing with cosmo now, just shoot it. When it gets hot enough to seep cosmo to the surface, i wipe it off. As for finish, I like a little Boiled linseed oil. A little goes a long way, so a small can is good. If you want it shiny like it was when it had the shellac on it, I prefer a spray can of lacquer sanded with 600 grit wet paper between coats. After about 6 coats it will be nice and purdy. Best of luck and give me a shout if you run into any issues.

I read about those Matt and was going to go over to Harbor Freight to look at them but I had an few minutes free this morning and 'had" to tinker with the Mosin. It took less than 5 minutes to disassemble it. I put the small parts in a coffee can and put in some mineral spirits and wiped down the barrel and action as well. Then I went out for a couple of hours to do errands. When I got back, I used a stiff paint brush (I use a 1 inch brush and cut the bristled down to about 1/2" long and it works great) and washed all the small parts and the oiler can.

Then I used Mineral Spirits and the brush on the receiver and then ran a can of Brake Kleen through the barrel and receiver. This worked extremely well and everything looked squeaky clean.

Then I moved to the stock and tried wiping it down with the Mineral Spirits. Everything I read said these were finished were originally finished in Shellac. Since the solvent to dissolve Shellac is Alcohol, I figured Mineral Spirits (or even Lacquer Thinner) would not hurt it. This did not seem very effective so I went to the Brake Kleen again and it seemed to cut right through the cosmoline. I was careful not to "douse" it or wait too long before wiping it off doing a little section at a time. Less than a can and it seems to have removed the layer of cosmoline on the wood.

I will order some ammo and shoot it to get it nice and hot and see what else seeps out before going nuts on a finish. So far there are a lot of helpful posts and I think we are on the right track.

So, in summary, my opinion is that these rifles from Tony are in really good condition and seem to clean up easily....unless I am missing something. I was ready for hours and hours of labor but managed to do all this in about an hour. I was going to make one of those ceramic heater/duct ovens or get the steam cleaner if I had to, but I really don't think that is necessary now.

Remember, this is my first attempt at mil-surp so I am certainly not very knowledgeable. Fortunately, we have this forum and some very helpful and experienced members willing to help and offer advice and solutions. If I can make it to Brick tomorrow, I plan on bringing it to show Tim to see what he says.

on a mosin the most important thing to clean is the bolt. Take it all down to parade rest and clean it up. The cosmo inside the bolt body will often make the bolt bind a little causing light primer strikes and failure to fires.

I don't know what parade rest is :o

I soaked it and brushed it out with Mineral Spirits and it appears clean and free but I guess I should completely disassemble the bolt before shooting it (that will be tomorrow task, figuring out how to take it apart).

I bought my 2nd mosin, CSJ's supposed "cleaned" one..... first time shooting it... was fine. Second time shooting it, i get cosmo on my tshirt, face and glasses. that crap comes out of every nook.

btw, if you want a hand steamer.... go to your local staples. They have a bunch of them on the clearance racks for stuff that didnt sell for holidays. I was in the south brunswick one, and they had apx 5.

I bought my 2nd mosin, CSJ's supposed "cleaned" one..... first time shooting it... was fine. Second time shooting it, i get cosmo on my tshirt, face and glasses. that crap comes out of every nook.

btw, if you want a hand steamer.... go to your local staples. They have a bunch of them on the clearance racks for stuff that didnt sell for holidays. I was in the south brunswick one, and they had apx 5.

ZOMG I'm on my way to Staples tomorrow morning. Must have steam cleaner!!!

Matt, the metal is the easy part! I just took my bolt apart and it was already clean outside after my soaking it in Mineral Spirits and them blowing it out with Brake Kleen. But, now I know how to take it apart and better safe than sorry.