BCeagle

Licensing for Salt Water, you have to be kidding me.

Does the federal gobvt have nothing better to do, they are trying to get into everything possible. This is a waste of time and money, I guess the Coast Guardwill be pulling boats over.

New federal law requires licenses for many saltwater anglers, including in N.J.

By The Associated Press

December 30, 2009, 9:58AM

Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerA pair of fishermen in a rental rowboat fish just inside Shark River Inlet on a sunny and breezy day at the Jersey Shore earlier this year.Many saltwater anglers are going to have to register with the federal government, including in New Jersey.

The new federal law that takes effect Friday exempts anglers with licenses in the 15 coastal states that already have comprehensive licensing requirements.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, registering is free in 2010. A fee will be assessed starting in 2011.

But in the other coastal states

It is a registry not a license (YET) and is free for at least this year.

NY just instituted a license in Oct. so guys like me who fish NY waters (since it is so close to sandy Hook, etc) have to buy 1.

Anyone who fishes on my boat has to buy on for NY in case we fish in NY.

If you have an NY license, you don't need to sign up for the registry.

Shit, I think anyone who fishes on my boat has to sign up for this crap too.

I will be flying the pirate flag this year.

The ONLY reason NJ does not have a saltwater license is because they can not figure out a way to pay for the administrative costs of implementing the license.

IDIOTS.

It is a registry not a license (YET) and is free for at least this year.

NY just instituted a license in Oct. so guys like me who fish NY waters (since it is so close to sandy Hook, etc) have to buy 1.

Anyone who fishes on my boat has to buy on for NY in case we fish in NY.

If you have an NY license, you don't need to sign up for the registry.

****, I think anyone who fishes on my boat has to sign up for this crap too.

I will be flying the pirate flag this year.

The ONLY reason NJ does not have a saltwater license is because they can not figure out a way to pay for the administrative costs of implementing the license.

IDIOTS.

What's the international waters line? 3 miles? Guess the fishing is gonna explode at 3.05 miles from the shore...

Not international, but federal is 3miles and one of the provisions to have to sign up is if you fish outside the 3 mile line.

if you have an NMFS migratory permit(9tuna, shark,etc) then you do not need to sign up for this registry.

ONLY for states that do not have a current licensing platform in place.

We were at the gas dock last summer in Point Pleasant and some guy pulled in with a cooler of fish. Some guy asks how they did, then pulls out a badge and measures all the Fluke. One was a little short and the guy got a ticket. Now when we come in, all rods are stored below decks and it looks like we are just out for a ride in our Convertible.

It looks like you only need this if you are fishing more then 3 miles offshore! While the pirate flag sounds neat, I had a guy at the marina last summer stopped and boarded by the coasties. They went through everything and, of course, found something to cite him on. When he asked why they stopped him out of all the boats going by them, one of the coasties said it was because he was flying a pirate flag.

The USCG's main function isn't to enforce Fish & Game Laws. Though it has the authority to do so, as does NJ State Police, Local Police (some maintain summer water units, though any NJ Law Office can inspect your boat i.e. ANY) and the 6 or 7 State Fish And Game agents. Myself I'm not in favor of this registration. I believe it will lead to yet another license fee & more freedoms lost.. You all know this is the tip of the iceberg. This license thing always lights a flame in my bildge. I will say this much, I have seen alot of NJ fishing laws and limits just plain disregarded (enlisted April 1969 & still at it, Girl Souts weren't recruiting at that time). Understand theres more to this then then can disclose. Please no drinking and driving. Trust me on this one, its harsher then MV pentlies. Better yet don't have any onboard, its causes so many problems, just from the heat, sun light it can cause heat strokes, strokes, heart attacks & +. Drinking water is the best bet. Sun Block won't stop or help any of the forementioned.

"Fishing Rod, a new name for GUN"

It looks like you only need this if you are fishing more then 3 miles offshore! While the pirate flag sounds neat, I had a guy at the marina last summer stopped and boarded by the coasties. They went through everything and, of course, found something to cite him on. When he asked why they stopped him out of all the boats going by them, one of the coasties said it was because he was flying a pirate flag.

You need it fishing any tidal waters in within 3 miles. If you have a pelagic license (tuna, shark,etc) you do not need to register. If in NJ and fish NY waters frequently (like me), you need to buy a NY state license and you do not need to sign up for registry.

NJ would like to implement a SW license and has wanted to for years, but they can not figure out a way to implement the license while having it pay for itself.

They also can not pillage any monises received from the licensing and use it for something else or they will loos all federal grants pertaining to hunting and fishing (BIG BUCKS).

This registry was created by the feds, not the state.

if the state has licensing in place, they do not need the regsitry. Since NJ does not, we are required to sign up for it.

I won't since I will have to get an non resident NY license.

It sucks tho.

Especially since these idiots have no idea how to manage fish populations.

This is from the NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife

Under a new federal law, most New Jersey saltwater recreational fishermen will be required to register with the new National Saltwater Angler Registry before they go fishing in 2010. The Saltwater Angler Registry is part of an improved data program to help protect the long-term sustainability of recreational fishing.

Beginning January 1, 2010, New Jersey fishermen must register if they:

* Fish for or catch anadromous species in tidal and salt waters; these are fish like river herring, shad or striped bass that live in the oceans but spawn in fresh water, OR

* Fish in the Federal waters more than three miles from the ocean shore or from the mouths of rivers or bays, OR

* Don't meet any of the exceptions in the law.

Those exceptions include anglers who

Go find me a saltwater angler that doesn't fish for striped bass.

I guess if u never fish for them, you MAY be exempt by the way this is written, but I don't know any fisherman who don't fish for them.

Especially since their isn't anything else to fish for until Mid June when Fluke Season opens up.

Its funny, I dont fish anymore but my little girl likes it eventhough she doesnt catch anything and she uses my old stuff. She is 6 and all I do is put a worm on the hook for her. I actually had a guy come up to me and ask me where my license was and he insisted that it was me fishing eventhough she had the pole and when I told him I wasnt fishing, he actually watched to see if she got a bite and if I was going to help her.

I know people abuse things and we need wardens etc, but do they really need to harass a guy when they can see a little girl throwing a hook in the water with more noise then a rock falling into the lake.

Mike, I have fished with my son for 27 years and we have never fished for striped bass! Fluke, Flounder, Weakfish, Bluefish, Seabass but we have never fished for or caught a Striper. My brother in law and sister (who I have been fishing with for 10 years) have never fished for striped bass either. Now that I think about it, there are only a couple of people in our small marina (100+ boats) that actually go out for striped bass? More for you guys, I guess?

Matt, if you guys go out on a head boat, you will not need to be registered as you all will be covered by their commercial license.

Excellent!!

I wouldn't mind gathering a few people and pooling some money and paying one of the guys on the boards who have a boat.

A lobster license has been required for years. The dive boat holds the license and the state has put limits in effect as to size and number. The boats and sport has self enforced the limits as any boat caught with a short will cause the boat owner and occupants major headaches.

Sadly these waters are pretty much fished out. even on the wrecks the number of fish has dwindled greatly.