KpdPipes

ARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, agonized scream over, anyone know of anyplace mid-to-north jersey that might have a front takedown pin detent in stock???? Mine got launched somewhere into near-earth orbit several times. managed to find it the first 2 but #3 acheived escape velocity. On that subject How the %^%$#$#@ does one install this little booger???? i have a couple more builds planned and im going to be going through this again.

EYA: already checked NJFG in Rahway, with no luck...

I checked to see if I had a left over detent from my build, but sadly I do not. This won't help you quickly, but midway has most of the parts individually.

As for how to install it, I used a small curved needle nose plier and an exacto knife just like in the video linked on this page

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1237

Worked like a charm for me.

OP,

You should be able to make one out of a #4 finish nail. The diameter is about right at .090". Cut a piece .330" long then round off the ends using a file or emery. The length isn't critical as long as you are close. You could oil harden it after geting the final dimensions but I don't think that it's necessary.

FWIW

YMMV

Try Firearms Guild in Rahway, or there is a really good gunsmith in Paterson, he does great work on all my guns, including my AR. Im sure he would do it fast and cheap and good...in the reverse order..

Try Firearms Guild in Rahway, or there is a really good gunsmith in Paterson, he does great work on all my guns, including my AR. Im sure he would do it fast and cheap and good...in the reverse order..

Do you have information for this gunsmith? I need AR work done.

To avoid launching, I use a punch that fits right thru the receiver pivot pin hole to hold the spring and detent in place. I then pull a Raiders of the Lost Ark move.. and substitute the pivot pin for the punch. I just mate up the pivot pin end to the punch end, then slowly move the pivot pin to take the place of the punch. The detent and spring don't have a chance of flying out provided you keep the pivot pin and punch end mated up solidly. So far with two lower builds, haven't launched once.

This kit from PSA is good to have on hand when building lowers out. PSA anti-frustration lower parts kit

Good luck!

BTW, I notice you are in Keansburg, I'm in Matawan if you want to stop by and pick one up.

edit: just noticed original post from Jan 10', DevsA, I see you are further away in Morristown, but if you need a spring I have one.

To avoid launching, I use a punch that fits right thru the receiver pivot pin hole to hold the spring and detent in place. I then pull a Raiders of the Lost Ark move.. and substitute the pivot pin for the punch. I just mate up the pivot pin end to the punch end, then slowly move the pivot pin to take the place of the punch. The detent and spring don't have a chance of flying out provided you keep the pivot pin and punch end mated up solidly. So far with two lower builds, haven't launched once.

This kit from PSA is good to have on hand when building lowers out. PSA anti-frustration lower parts kit

Good luck!

Yeah. I used a razor blade to keep the detent/spring down, then slide the pivot pin over it.

I just ordered a replacement spring kit, but I'll keep your idea in mind next time I do a build. Shoulda thought of that technique seeing as I use it for the bolt catch, trigger, and hammer assemblies. :icon_mrgreen:

1 gallon ziplock bags. anytime I am dealing with springs.

Learned this with the Walther G22 carbine.

I tried that, but the bag caused more trouble than anything. Next time I'll just do it in a big cardboard box. :icon_twisted: