Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Kudos to Gene and the Cherry Ridge RSOs

The backstory...

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, Lynn and I went to CR for some range time. It was a nice warm day, and the handgun range was packed. No lanes or sleds available. Rather than wait around, we went over to the silo range to play with the P22 for a while. There was nobody else out there and we had the range to ourselves. I thought this would be a good opportunity to start practicing double taps. I want to start shooting the events at Shongum next season, and I have no way of practicing the necessary skills, so this looked like a good time to at least get a sense of shooting twice in quick succession, and picking another target and doing it again.

One of the ROs came by and told us that doubles weren't allowed, even on the .22 range, and even if I'm the only one there. No problem, the rules are the rules.

Jump to last Saturday...

We were back on the handgun range, and while we were packing up, Young Gene and one of the other ROs came by. We were standing around shooting the shiite for a while, talking about this and that, and the conversation turned to the DT incident a couple of weeks earlier. I questioned the rule, and they said yeah, it's a safety thing. I apologized for not knowing the rules, and we went on to another subject.

Jump to last night.

I was up in the middle of the night, so I did what I always do when I'm awake at 3 in the morning, I checked the forum. There was a PM from Gene informing me that they had a meeting, and they decided that doubles are now okay, as long as all other safety precautions are taken. I don't know that I'd do it on a crowded handgun range, but the next time I'm on the .22 range, it's nice to know that it's now okay.

I like those guys.

Ken

That is good to near. Double tapping is invaluable to handgun shooting and should be a staple of everyones training/practice.

It is nice to see the Club responding to the shooters needs like that. Some places are very inflexeble. You guys have a good club up there.

You're right all the current RO's are good eggs.

The restictions at CR are what has kept it safe for the last 50 years. So, I just suck it up and follow the rules. BTW double taps have never been a problem as long as you notified the RO's first. Or that's what worked for me anyway.

Question? When you referred to the "silo range" are you talking about the plinking range to the right of the 2-300 yd? Are handguns allowed on the plinking range? That would be nice...

I'm glad you had a good time and I like you value CR as a great resource.

Give me a shout on your next visit my wife Kimber and I are there often and I always like her to see other women shooting.

Frank

You're right all the current RO's are good eggs.

The restictions at CR are what has kept it safe for the last 50 years. So, I just suck it up and follow the rules. BTW double taps have never been a problem as long as you notified the RO's first. Or that's what worked for me anyway.

Question? When you referred to the "silo range" are you talking about the plinking range to the right of the 2-300 yd? Are handguns allowed on the plinking range? That would be nice...

I'm glad you had a good time and I like you value CR as a great resource.

Give me a shout on your next visit my wife Kimber and I are there often and I always like her to see other women shooting.

Frank

Frank,

Yeah, .22 handguns are allowed on the plinking range. I usually post here when we plan to go to the range. I like shooting with other people, and shooting with the guys from the forum is always a good time. When we both go, we generally stay on the handgun and silo ranges. I'm not a rifle guy, and Lynn has no interest in making orange dust on the shotgun range. I satisfy my clay jones at Hercules and Sparta.

Ken

Target shooting has developed into a nice activity in our family. My wife and daughter both shoot and we even teach the grandkids firearms safety and to shoot.

I'm shooting since I'm 10yo and My wife was career military so we're very comfortable around firearms. The important thing to me is training the next generation in firearms safety and sport.

Maintaining this American Tradition is what will maintain our firearms freedom.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :D