ah141nj

Whatever happened to that Reloading Class????

What do you expect to be taught in a class that you can't read in a book?

Is your ammunition safe? Is it accurate? Are you saving money? Do you think you are reloading efficiently?

Ask you questions here. You won't learn anything in a class.

There have been a few people recently who got systems and were tutored by some of the experts on the board. ah141nj, I bet if you post where you live and what kind of machine you have (or want to get) someone will respond to give you a lesson.

There is something comforting to have someone with experience go over the procedure in person with something as delicate as reloading. Sure, if you are mechanically inclined and very intuitive, you can pick it up by reading the instructions and trial & error but there is something to be said about doing it with an expert watching over your shoulder.

[

quote]What do you expect to be taught in a class that you can't read in a book?

Dont know. Thats why I want to see it first hand from someone else.Being that I taught myself from books and the internet...maybe I am doing things wrong. Maybe I can learn some tricks of the trade. Maybe I picked up some bad habits.

Is your ammunition safe? Is it accurate? Are you saving money? Do you think you are reloading efficiently?

Safe - Yes.Accurate - Yes but probably could get even more accurate.Saving Money - thats a tough one. -Yes & no...always buying equipment & components.But if I had to buy the ammo that I have loaded, it would been a hell of a lot more. Definitely shooting more. Efficiently? Dont know for sure...dont have anything to compare it to. How do you guage efficient?

Ask you questions here. You won't learn anything in a class

You never know, have to keep an open mind. Maybe I can help someone as well.

There is something comforting to have someone with experience go over the procedure in person with something as delicate as reloading. Sure, if you are mechanically inclined and very intuitive, you can pick it up by reading the instructions and trial & error but there is something to be said about doing it with an expert watching over your shoulder

Thats how I feel. Maybe I picked some bad habits or something. You always have room to learn...if you are open to not "KNOWING EVEYTHING"

There are probably plenty of people on here that want to start reloading and want to see it first hand. Being that I have been reloading for a while, maybe I can lend a hand as well as possibly picking up a few things.

Just trying to help out a little while possibly helping myself

[

quote]What do you expect to be taught in a class that you can't read in a book?

Dont know. Thats why I want to see it first hand from someone else.Being that I taught myself from books and the internet...maybe I am doing things wrong. Maybe I can learn some tricks of the trade. Maybe I picked up some bad habits.

Safe - Yes.Accurate - Yes but probably could get even more accurate.Saving Money - thats a tough one. -Yes & no...always buying equipment & components.But if I had to buy the ammo that I have loaded, it would been a hell of a lot more. Definitely shooting more. Efficiently? Dont know for sure...dont have anything to compare it to. How do you guage efficient?

Ask you questions here. You won't learn anything in a class

You never know, have to keep an open mind. Maybe I can help someone as well.

Excuse me if I came accross as an A-hole. Any help I can give you I will. I guess I've been reloading for about 35 years so I take a lot for granted.

PM me and I'll give you my phone #. I'll answer any questions I can and chat about your equipment, procedeures and quality checks. Yes I have formal quality checks throughout the process and record them. Just incase I ever get a Ka-boom and I survive I can go back and investigate.

Frank - at the HELP line

[quote name="Old School

Excuse me if I came accross as an A-hole. Any help I can give you I will. I guess I've been reloading for about 35 years so I take a lot for granted.

PM me and I'll give you my phone #. I'll answer any questions I can and chat about your equipment' date=' procedeures and quality checks. Yes I have formal quality checks throughout the process and record them. Just incase I ever get a Ka-boom and I survive I can go back and investigate.

Frank - at the HELP line[/quote]

Thanks for the offer. Its nothing in general. Its just I have been reloading on my own. All my loads have worked as they should.Looking to see if I can do things better or something.

There is always room for improvement in everything we do.

Right now I have been experimenting with OAL/lands/ogive/sizing for my 223 AR. People tell me I am wasting my time, just load to max length.

I would like to learn a better & more exact way to adjust my sizing dies. Keep making dummy loads to set OAL for various bullets. Now, I am so lazy I have a different turret set up for the different bullets I load in 9mm & 45acp calibers. Just bought a Forster Competition sizing die with micrometer for .223. Havent really set it up yet.

Old School, excuse the question but now I am curious. Are the chambers and OAL substantially different between .223 and 5.56? I don't own either but thought you could shoot either in an AR? Thanks

If you have a 5.56 chamber you can shoot .223 Rem but not the converse.

Also 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures. Here's the chamber dimension differences.

http://ar15barrels.com/data/223vs556.pdf

Old School, excuse the question but now I am curious. Are the chambers and OAL substantially different between .223 and 5.56? I don't own either but thought you could shoot either in an AR? Thanks

If you have a 5.56 chamber you can shoot .223 Rem but not the converse.

Also 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures. Here's the chamber dimension differences.

+1

http://ar15barrels.com/data/223vs556.pdf

ah141nj- 223 or 556 chamber?

Opps you said 223.

You kind of got one hand tied behind your back. The best OAL for accuracy

may not fit in the magazine or feed.

It is chambered for 5.56, its just easier to say 223 for some reason.

I guess it depends also what brass you are using.

Commercial brass would be 223 while military/nato would be 5.56.

Is that politically correct?

IMG_7681.jpg

Even if it wasn't cheaper (but it is), re-loading is a hobby, just like shooting is. It is something you can do when it is too cold or wet to go out shooting. Plus you have the added advantage of being able to tailor your rounds for your particular gun and situation. For example, we load "light" for rounds we are going to use for steel shoots and tactical exercises. Reduces the recoil and gets you back on second shot faster. Plus it isn't beating the crap out of our guns.

ah141nj- 223 or 556 chamber?

Opps you said 223.

You kind of got one hand tied behind your back. The best OAL for accuracy

may not fit in the magazine or feed.

It is chambered for 5.56, its just easier to say 223 for some reason.

I guess it depends also what brass you are using.

Commercial brass would be 223 while military/nato would be 5.56.

Is that politically correct?

IMG_7681.jpg

I specifally bought a 5.56 because.... It is not really healthy to shoot 5.56 NATO in a .223Rem chamber. You may never have a problem 5.56 in 223 but there is a risk.

Now about accuracy... 223 is inherintly more accurate than 5.56 because to accomodate the higher pressure of 5.56 the chamber throat/lead is longer allowing a pressure drop on a higher pressure cartridge. This means that the bullet has to jump that gap. Which is not beneficial to accuracy.

Now on the other hand having a 5.56 chamber gives you more ammo and loading choices. Including the choice of heavier bullets when the twist is appropriate.