Sign in to follow this  
Chad

Help Needed....Scope Issue

Ok, here goes it.

I have a simmons model 800116 8-32x44 mounted on my Savage .308. I have not used the gun in about 2 years. I took it out to ft. dix the other day and had to re-zero it in. I shoot 3 shots wayyyyy right, but grouping fine. I adjust the scope about 2" to the right, and it brings them closer to the target spot, but still about an inch off. The problem now is I go to adjust the windage again and it only allows me to turn the knob 2 or so clicks. Its bottomed out......there is no more room for adjustment. Any clue as to why? Is there a fix? I removed the knob to see if there are any internal adjustments but not that I can see. Is it busted? It is by no means a very expensive scope, but I've had it for a while, and really enjoy it. Here are some photos with one of the knobs removed. . . .

scope001.jpg

scope003.jpg

scope004.jpg

Chad:

If, as Mark suggests, you have no adjustability in your scope base, I'd suggest new Burris "Z" rings. These rings are availabe with offset inserts to add or compensate for windage and elevation. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It doesn't look like it. Leupold has some windage adjustability in the rear mount - which is what Mark was alluding to, but that would require new rings and bases. My friend swears by the Burris rings with the inserts. I'm not personally familiar with them, but the only issue I see is whether they make them to mate with your Weaver bases, thus saving the expense of new bases also. The other plus of using the rings with the inserts is that it precludes lapping the rings.

Adios,

Bob

That's a Leupold base, which would also require you to purchase Leupold rings - and to do things properly, the rings should be lapped. That is one way to go, but more $$$ and work than is needed.

Here is what I was talking about...

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2

scroll down and you'll see the offset inserts - which allow you to offset the scope the designated amount, left/right or up/down depending on how they are inserted in the rings. You can use one just in the front or rear for a little offset, or offset one way in the rear and the other in the front for a large adjustment. The inserts also come with varying degrees of offset.

You need to bottom out the windage adjustment and then turn it completely in the opposite direction until it bottoms out there - keeping track of the number of clicks from one extreme to the other - and then based on the adjustment interval (1/8 MOA, 1/4 MOA) calculate your total windage adjustment available within the scope. Then center it (turn it back half the total clicks) so you have equal windage adjustment left & right.

We'll go into the rest of it once you secure the rings. Write down how far left you were with the scope bottomed out and then we should be able to calculate (uh oh, geometry and probably some trig) what offset would work best.

You may want to take this off the board for more info, you have my e-mail. Up to this point it may have been helpful to others, but beyond this we are into specifics about your set-up. Up to you.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

May I suggest starting at the bottom, literaly. If you happen to take you base/bases off, take a ruler and line it up with the holes in the reciever and check alignment. Is the front offset from the back? Are they pointing off into la la land?

Shane

Not a bad thought, but the fact that the problem is as described, already indicates that there is most likely a problem with an out of true mount system. Unless the the receiver is drilled way out of spec, it may be impossible to see by just using a straight edge aligned with the holes in the receiver. However, the point is it may not be the mount, but the scope. According to Chad, the scope seems to adjust OK, it just ran out of windage - thus all the solutions proposed to this point.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

if it is a wood stock + it has been stored for 2 years i'd check for stock warpage + bedding issues - was gun been dropped since it was zeroed 2 years ago ? - also are mounts + rings tightened properly ? -

I took everything apart, all seems to be tight. I used a ruler to measure the bases (two separate ones) and they seem to be perfectly aligned, which I had suspicion of because at one time, this gun shot PERFECT. Nothing changed, just time. It has not been bumped around, or messed with at all. It is a synthetic stock, not wood so warping would not be an issue as far as I know.

Bob is right, the scope functions fine, it just runs out of windage. Its screwed all the way down but I still need another inch or so of adjustment. The holes being offset is a good explanation, but like I said, it did shoot fine at one time. I like those rings with the inserts from burris. I will give them a shot. I want to shoot the gun one more time before I change things. Maybe today by removing everything, and tightening everything up fixed the problem. I'm trying to be optimistic here, but I honestly don't think anything changed because everything was tight and looked clean.

You know, now that I think about it, Maks shot this gun before I did at Ft. Dix. . . I'll bet he broke it. :evil: No problem, now he owes me a new swarovski scope.... this one will work I suppose. And look it even qualifies for free shipping Maks!!!! :D

I took everything apart, all seems to be tight. I used a ruler to measure the bases (two separate ones) and they seem to be perfectly aligned, which I had suspicion of because at one time, this gun shot PERFECT. Nothing changed, just time. It has not been bumped around, or messed with at all. It is a synthetic stock, not wood so warping would not be an issue as far as I know.

Bob is right, the scope functions fine, it just runs out of windage. Its screwed all the way down but I still need another inch or so of adjustment. The holes being offset is a good explanation, but like I said, it did shoot fine at one time. I like those rings with the inserts from burris. I will give them a shot. I want to shoot the gun one more time before I change things. Maybe today by removing everything, and tightening everything up fixed the problem. I'm trying to be optimistic here, but I honestly don't think anything changed because everything was tight and looked clean.

You know, now that I think about it, Maks shot this gun before I did at Ft. Dix. . . I'll bet he broke it. :evil: No problem, now he owes me a new swarovski scope.... this one will work I suppose. And look it even qualifies for free shipping Maks!!!! :D

Good idea Chad. Reassemble and bore sight it and see where you are at. I'll guess something was over looked. Machines just don't change. Have you pulled the barreled action out of the stock by any chance?

Good luck,

Frank

Thanks Frank. I did boresight it the old fashioned way by looking thru the bbl and focusing on something at about 100yds then looked thru the scope and it was dead on. But, that will only get me close, it was only off by about an inch at the range.

The only thing I removed was the bolt today for cleaning.