david8613

smith and wesson model 19

i have a friend who wants to sell me his smith and wesson model 19, its in nice condition. he wants to me to make him an offer but i no clue what its worth. i have done some research and i know its a very good gun but thats all i know...

David,

It really depends on condition, finish and barrel length. Is it pinned and recessed. If you dont know what that means look it up (Google). Does it have original grips? Has it been shot ALOT.... 19s can wear out, they are a medium frame gun ind if and this is a big if... subjected too thousands of hipo .357 they can have small cracks in frame.

I have seen bad ones go for $300 and great ones sell for $700. My last one I purchased for $450. It was pristine, in box, with waxpaper wrapper and papers. 4" Barrels are preferred by many, 3" rare not as common.

thanks i appreciate the information, thats why i love these forums you learn so much... here is a pic of the actual model 19 it looks pretty good, let me know what ya think. im going to check it better tomorrow with the info you provided...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45746521@N ... 4324136454

I recently bought one from TJ it's a Model 19-5 it's in Mint condition locks up tight, very

light holster wear, looks like it was shot about 50 times since it was made, I paid $310.00 for it.

They are very hard to find any cheaper then $500.00 on Gunbroker. I would start your offer around

$400.00 depending on condition, if you get it for that it's still a steal.

The pictures were taken before it was cleaned.

guns004-3.jpg

guns006-2.jpg

if you dont mind can you post a pic, i would love to see it. the one im looking at looks pretty good, i know the trigger and hammer havent been touched, i have seen alot pics where they take the blue off those parts...

Just did, check above.

Nickle was not as common as blue. Grips are the standard issue. The box, wax paper, sealed tool kit and instructions can raise the price quite a bit.

I'd say $350 to $450 is more than fair. Gunbroker has several going for around $300.00 I picked up a almost new Model 66 recently with a 2.5 inch for $300. But Gunbroker prices are highly inaccurate. The prices are out of line and the ones priced over $350 do not get any bids.

Hodgie...

robbery... that 19-5... while a later model is a highly desirable variant. I will give you $312 for it... you make some profit and we are both happy.

Sorry I am going to hold out for $313.50, thanks though.... :D

She is a keeper and if she goes anywhere it's to my Brother.

well i got a better look at her, and shes nice, clean, no cracks. he already tried to sell it at a gun shop and they offered him only 250.00, so figured i'll offer him 300.00 cash and thought we will haggle and he will meet me around 325.00. he repsonded by saying its a nice gun, he wants at least 600.00! :o i couldnt respond... but his nephew is gonna bring him down to earth and see if he will let it go for the price im

offering we will see.... i really like the piece i hope he sells it to me....

$600.00 is on the over priced end for a model 19, the reason why he was offered $250.00 is because it may only be worth around $300.00-$400.00 depending on the series run on(1-5). Even in pristine condition they usually go for about $500-$550.00 for the more describable models on GB and as stated above the ones in the higher price end do not move.

oh i forgot to mention its a model 19-4 if that means anything. so what do you think i should tell him to convinve him next time we speak? i dont want to make'em feel bad, that he is selling his gun way over what its actually worth...