lunker

BUIS (Backup Iron Sights) Recommendations

I bought a Rock River Varmint model with 24" barrel. It does not have the EOP (extended optics platform) because I want to be able to use iron sights when I shoot indoors.

Is it realistic/desireable to have a removable riser with mounted scope that I can use on the flattop, then take the riser off to use iron sights?

I need a front gas block rail mounted (as opposed to on the top rail that most are) front sight. I don't know if I care if it is flip-up since it disappears when looking through the scope anyway. I do need a rear sight. I think it should be a flipup.

• Like 1

I use these, they are great and mount solidly.

This Vendor is great low shipping and fast, although these ship free.

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail. ... FG&cat=159

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail. ... RS&cat=160

Another option is to go with something like this.

http://www.cmore.com/tactical.html

It includes the rear back up sight into the unit, Once I get some funds together

I will be investing in one.

i had a set of Troy BUIS on my last AR and they were built tough... seemed reliable.. and flipped down out of sight (no pun intended) when not in use..

Chris:

You saw my Varmint last week. I used a Troy rear sight because the are the lowest (when folded down) of any out there, and made the task of clearing the ocular lens of the scope easy. The scope was mounted on a LaRue 5/8" QD riser - which cleared the rear sight and makes for easy on/off without loss of zero. The scope is mounted to the riser using TPS aluminum rings - which are the nutz! They are such a precision fit that there is no need to lap them and you can actually tighten down one side completely and then the other, with no scope rotation. They are available in three heights, so once you figure what scope you're using, you'll be able to get the scope as close to bore centerline as possible and still clear your sight.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here's a picture (different scope than what you saw, but same mount as described)...

lar15j.jpg

Thanks Bob. That's just what I'm looking for. What did you do for a front sight, folding or fixed?

Chris:

You saw my Varmint last week. I used a Troy rear sight because the are the lowest (when folded down) of any out there, and made the task of clearing the ocular lens of the scope easy. The scope was mounted on a LaRue 5/8" QD riser - which cleared the rear sight and makes for easy on/off without loss of zero. The scope is mounted to the riser using TPS aluminum rings - which are the nutz! They are such a precision fit that there is no need to lap them and you can actually tighten down one side completely and then the other, with no scope rotation. They are available in three heights, so once you figure what scope you're using, you'll be able to get the scope as close to bore centerline as possible and still clear your sight.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here's a picture (different scope than what you saw, but same mount as described)...

lar15j.jpg

• Like 1

I used a Midwest Industries folding front sight, mounted on the gas block. That can be problematic with a short barrel and a long scope, but you should be fine with your 20" barrel. I went with MI just because it was available from RRA with the gun. It is very similar to a Troy - both being the HK design with the round wings.

The LaRue riser was spendy, but worth it in my opinion. It allowed me to use whatever height ring I wanted - whereas with a riser with built-in rings you lose that option. PM me and I'll give a good source for the rings. The riser, I think, can only be had at LaRue.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Those are nice. I don't think I can use the front sight though. It is meant to be mounted on a handguard rail. I need one that mounts on a gas block rail.

• Like 1

where does it say that

It doesn't specifically, but...

From having looked at a lot of these lately, it seems like the default type is the kind that mounts on a handguard top rail. The ones that mount on a gas block rail all seem to make special note of it in theor description. I am also guessing that because of the relatively low height of the sight. Front rail mounted sights are not as tall as those that are mounted on gas block sights.

• Like 1

Those are nice. I don't think I can use the front sight though. It is meant to be mounted on a handguard rail. I need one that mounts on a gas block rail.

Remember that the Magpul MBUS are polymer, not metal, and may not fare too well on anything that gets smoking hot...

Yep. Because of the polymer design is the main reason why it is recommended to place it on the rails (MBUS that is). I personally run the MBUS set, and can't beat it for the price IMO. I too run the front sight on my rails (even though my DD omega rails line up perfectly with the railed gas block on my MP15).

I like the Troy sights that came on my S&W M&P15T. I prefer the Troy M4 style front sights (wings go outward like fixed AR15 front sight base), vs the HK style (wings are surrounding the post in an almost closed circle). I have MI (it might be GG&G) fold down sights on my AR10A4. The front sight isn't bad, but again, it has the HK style front sight. I don't know of any manufacturer's that make an AR10 front fold down sight that has the M4 style wings. The rear sight is too bulky to get under the scope though. Also, I question the sturdyness of it as compared to the Troy unit. There seems to be more "play" in it as compared to the Troy. At some point, I plan on purchasing a Troy rear sight for the AR10.

Why wouldn't it? If your railed gas block is dress-right-dress with the rest of your rails (like the SW MP15), I don't see why it wouldn't.

I got off the phone with Rock River tech support. The receiver rail is not exactly in line with the gas block rail. That is why I need a gas block mount. If they were, then I could use a rail mounted one. Unfortunately, Troy only makes rail mount sights. I went with a Yankee Hill Machine flip up front sight after reading a number of good reviews.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=454763

As for the rear, I will use my spare carry handle until I can save a few shekels to pay for a rear flipup.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Troy only makes rail mount sights.

while the yankee hill sights are nice, troy DOES make a gas block version:

http://store.troyind.com/Gas_Block_Front_BattleSight_p/ssig-gbf-00bt-00.htm

Thanks. Looks like Rock River customer service made a mistake. I don't thinkm I'll be disappointed with the Yankee Hill Machine ones though.

• Like 1

i really like the troy battle sights and prefer the hooded (hk-style) front sight.

with troy's new pricing, they're even more worth it for the pair.

How much $ are they going for now?