lunker

My New M1 Garand - Courtesy of the CMP

I followed the directions on the CMP website.

http://www.thecmp.org/

I joined the Garand Collector's Association.

I had a range instructor watch me shoot and certify that I am knowledgeable and safe in handling of firearms.

I put my paperwork together (i.e. proof of citizenship, residency, FID card, etc)

I sent all the paperwork to CMP a little over a month ago.

$650 later... Voila

Now I need to find me some surplus 30 '06 ammo cheap, and order some dies, brass, and bullets. Range 14, here I come!

• Like 1

Very Very nice!!!!

Stock is a little dark for my taste but it's still a sexy beast!

How's the condition?? Meet your expectations?

It is dark, but I wonder if I should do the same thing to it as I did with my Mosin. That is, use three cans of non-chlorinated brake cleaner to get all the nasty varnish and preservative (I guess Uncle Sam has its own version of cosmoline) off of it. It worked wonders with the Mosin. Turned it about six shades lighter.

• Like 1

I would use Denatured Alcohol is anything to see of anything will come out, the break cleaner may ruin the wood.

MN's are coated in Amber shellac by the Russians which will protect it from the brake cleaner. If anything I would keep it as is and you can get brand new replacement stocks for pretty cheap.

M1 stocks are generally pretty dark walnut. Unless it feels tacky I wouldn't get too radical with it. Just a 50/50 mix of BLO and mineral spirits should take care of it. The pictures themselves are extremely dark on my computer, but that stock looks excellent to me. The whole rifle looks sweet! Congratulations. Too many people complain about having to jump through the CMP hoops, but I'll bet you're glad you did it.

Could you add more specifics? SA? S/N?

Keep your eye out on the CMP website for ammo. Should be some available soon real soon.

BTW: The pix on the CMP page are of brand new, very dry aftermarket walnut stocks, not oiled up originals. In 60 years they'll be a little darker too!

M1 stocks are generally pretty dark walnut. Unless it feels tacky I wouldn't get too radical with it. Just a 50/50 mix of BLO and mineral spirits should take care of it. The pictures themselves are extremely dark on my computer, but that stock looks excellent to me. The whole rifle looks sweet! Congratulations. Too many people complain about having to jump through the CMP hoops, but I'll bet you're glad you did it.

Keep your eye out on the CMP website for ammo. Should be some available soon real soon.

BTW: The pix on the CMP page are of brand new, very dry aftermarket walnut stocks, not oiled up originals. In 60 years they'll be a little darker too!

Good info.

This is the 3rd post I have see in the last few days of guy's getting rifles back in less then 90 day's so things

are looking up for perspective buyers.

I scrub mine with full strength Simple Green MANY TIMES. Then I wipe them down with lacquer thinner and acetone. (nasty so ventilate well).

If you really want to get the cosmo out, the only way is to wait until the hot summer days and let it sit on sheets of alum. foil and get very hot. You will see the cosmo bleeding out and wiping down the stock with mineral spirits is needed. Leaving it in a closed car in the summer sun is even better if you can avoid messing up the interior.

I don't care what you do to a stock, leaving it in a very hot area will still bleed out some cosmo. But in the end it's worth it.

Very nice! Are those Garands from CMP all matching?

If you want one all matching you order a Correct Grade which of course costs you more. I have several Service Grades and managed to build a Correct Grade by swapping parts. If you want a shooter Service Grade is the way to go. I have never been disappointed with any SG I ordered by mail.

Rarely, they are built from original receivers and many have new barrels.

They are all professionally built and tested before being sold.

I have only one M1 that has been rebarreled. Like most rifles in the military they have been carried a lot and shot little. The one I have that has been rebarreled I picked out at the North Store. It is a genuine mixmaster with SA receiver and rebarreled by the Danes with a VAR barrel. I have parts from WW, IHC, and Beretta. It is also my best shooting M1.

The dark wood would indicate it's all walnut which most would consider a plus. If you go on the CMP website there is data on stock refinishing. Although many will disagree I have used oven cleaner to clean the stock followed by multiple coats of linseed oil. Before you refinish you need to check the cartouches as some stocks are worth almost as much as what you paid for the rifle.

I scrub mine with full strength Simple Green MANY TIMES. Then I wipe them down with lacquer thinner and acetone. (nasty so ventilate well).

If you really want to get the cosmo out, the only way is to wait until the hot summer days and let it sit on sheets of alum. foil and get very hot. You will see the cosmo bleeding out and wiping down the stock with mineral spirits is needed. Leaving it in a closed car in the summer sun is even better if you can avoid messing up the interior.

I don't care what you do to a stock, leaving it in a very hot area will still bleed out some cosmo. But in the end it's worth it.

+1 on that idea. Since we won't see summer any time soon around here. I built a "stock oven" by mounting a heat lamp from Home Depot on a 2x4 and put that in a large aluminum garbage can. It got tons of cosmoline out of my Czeck VZ24 Mauser.

Very nice, what grade is it, receiver type and barrel?

I have to find someone to fill out my paper work, I might just take it to Shore Shot and see if they will do it for me.

It's a Springfield Armory Service Grade. Here are some more pics.

As you can see, it's going to take a lot of cleaning.

• Like 1

AHHHHH the stock isn't as dark as I thought i was.

That thing is all gunked up, you better get to cleaning!!

Whens the DW showing up BTW?

It's already here, with a hundred fifty rounds down the pipe so far. And it's still shiny stainless, the way you like it.

• Like 1

AHHHHH the stock isn't as dark as I thought i was.

That thing is all gunked up, you better get to cleaning!!

Whens the DW showing up BTW?

It's already here, with a hundred fifty rounds down the pipe so far. And it's still shiny stainless, the way you like it.

WHATTTTTT!!!!?????? No in hand pictures, no write up review, no nothing!!!??? Slacker!!

Verryyy nice, it could be one of the Greek AF returns they have been talking about on the CMP forums. Supposedly they were re-parked by the greeks with a much blacker finish vice the original finish which is more gray-ish. I have a CMP Special (new stock & barrel), love it. Have not had the chance to get to Dix yet, do I smell a rifle day at Dix??? Not ona weekday, though!

I have put about 150 rds of HXP and fed M1 thru it at CJRPC, still have to fiddle with the sights. Was not gonna oil the stock till after the firs JCG match at CJ in April, lockup is sooo tight on the stock, I want to see how I do with it in that state first. If you havent already, join the CMP forums, so you can keep up to date on the ammo situation. Its still Any Day Now.

One of the CMP eligibility points can be got by shooting in a JCG match, they have them a CJRPC and other clubs, also DD214 works, the forums there can help out with paperwork piece if anyone else wants to give the CMP a shot for an M1

I have been hearing different stories about ammo for this gun. Will modern 30 '06 ammo damage the Operating rod? Do I need to shoot the surplus stuff?

Extensive use of commercial ammo can bent the op rod. The CMP HXP is probably the best available. LC is great but getting scarce.New supplies will be showing up soon. Getting it in span cans clipped is good for new owners.

Reloading is another issue with powder selection being very important. IMR4895 is probably the most popular with IMR4064 second. H4895 is up there in popularity.

Bullets heavier than 168-173 are not recommended. Federal Gold Metal Match is fine but pricey. 150 grain is the most ppoular.

Ooooh, that is a VERY nice stock for a SG, (sharp cartouche too) and the rest also looks to be at the top end of the SG scale. I'd say you lucked out pretty well on your first one.

It's a desireable prime WWII S/N too, (around Sept, 1943). Is the barrel also 1943? (Pull back the op rod to see barrel stamp - it might be marked something like S-A-9-43, but I'd suspect it's been replaced with a newer one at some point). If it's original it adds a little to the value, although it's been re-arsonaled at least once since the war and had a lot of parts replaced so it's just fine to shoot it like it was meant to be. The stock, rear sights, and bolt at least are all post-war and it looks like it might have been re-parkerized too. Great looking gun!

It won't be hard to clean up at all. I don't think that's cosmoline - looks like that Greek grease preservative. Melts right off with a little mineral spirits, or some heat.

Good info.

This is the 3rd post I have see in the last few days of guy's getting rifles back in less then 90 day's so things

are looking up for perspective buyers.

My co-worker ordered one and it took 30 days. I was surprise at the fast shipping. His garand was beautiful for $600.00 and it got my attention. I might order one for myself, but the $900 one with all the new parts.

Lunker, you did good, BTW do you still have the HK P7 PSP?