Sign in to follow this  
matt6669

:) SUCCESS!!!!!!

Just got back from the bullethole and shot about 150 rounds of reloads through the 686 and man was that fun. Thats the most rounds I've put through any gun in one sitting and man it was awesome.

Only thing i was disappointed in was at how dirty my 231 was burning. Made a nasty mess of everything so I'll have to look into that. But all the loads worked flawlessly and all performed excellent. I'm definitely hooked on reloading!!

It not the powder that was dirty Matt it's the lube on the bullets. If you are getting black all over your gun like on the cylinder edges that's the powder, try a bit more crimp and seat the bullet just a smidge deeper. I though they fired fine.

Yes, I forgot you are shooting lead bullets. Definately the lube. Some brands are worse than others

oh so you think I should crimp the bullet more??

Well I would leave them unless you feel they are no good.

More crimp just holds the bullet longer to burn more completely. Also light loads will have a tendency to be dirtier so you can up your powder charge some.

What I think I would do is try 4.0gr of W231 with a min. OAL of 1.50-1.55 my Lee manual says a max charge of 4.5 with W231 at OAL 1.55 but if you are going to use 4.0gr seat your bullet at 1.50 and it will burn cleaner and probably be more accurate. I use Unique for my .45ACP and I have a load that is not dirt at all, you just have to play with the loads a bit and find the sweet spot.

Through a 6" GP100:

I'm shooting 158gr. lead SWC with 4.2gr. universal clays. They shoot real nice, but are dirtier than a plated or jacketed bullet. I seat to 1.47 which is to the crimp groove with a light crimp.

I just started trying 158gr. Berry HP with 3.9gr HP38. These also shoot nice, but shoot cleaner than lead. HP38 is the same as W231. I'm seating these to 1.40 with a light crimp.

There's a lot more smoking with the lube burning off the lead bullet. This is going to make your gun dirtier.

Klutch I'll let you know what they are seated to when I get home Thursday. I don't have my caliper with me.

I'm starting to think it might be the lube and possibly a light load.

No doubt dude, get at me when you can. What manual do you use?

Which manual don't I use :)

Lyman and Speer are my usual go to's