AndyM

MIKES GUN SHOP -FAIRVIEW

He hsa a gun I like and saw online but I read a few very negative reviews online about his practices. Has anyone dealt with this place ? Thoughts?

I've been in there and he seems like a decent guy. My daughter has bought stuff there.

Have your permit, have your money and think for yourself. That last crybaby thread was the worst!

I bought a gun on gunbroker that he had listed. Gun was $75, Nics should have been $15 = $90 plus tax = $96.30 I gave him a hundred and I got no change. I didn't ask or make a stink about it. I figured I got a 12 ga pump for $100 so... It left a bit of a bad taste, and normally I'm not afraid to make a stink.

I would buy from him again, but I would make sure that I was better informed and prepared this time.

I bought a gun on gunbroker that he had listed. Gun was $75, Nics should have been $15 = $90 plus tax = $96.30 I gave him a hundred and I got no change. I didn't ask or make a stink about it. I figured I got a 12 ga pump for $100 so... It left a bit of a bad taste, and normally I'm not afraid to make a stink.

I would buy from him again, but I would make sure that I was better informed and prepared this time.

That's some shady stuff IMO.

Just so I understand... You guys are talking about $3.70?

Yep, just like if I went to McDonald's, the Supermarket, Chad's carwash or Home Depot I would expect any change due to me.

You wouldn't say something to the cashier at Home Depot if she didn't give you your change?

Yup - did you see me trash the guy anywhere?

Dan- No, as a matter of fact I've always known you to be a gentleman.

The thing that blows me away is there are loads of ammunition wasters out there popping 5.56 at a 1/2 buck a round. and in the big scheme of things making change didn't seem too significant. Obviously you've been to his shop and as small as it is it's always seemed a very informal shop. Not making any excuses. I agree he should have offered you change. But on the other hand I've bought stuff there for a price tax included. He says fifty I give him fifty.

All is cool here!

$.50 a round of 223 is a biiiiit expensive. =) $.30 and we are good. =)

But in any case, guy should of offer the change. or confirmed.

Hey, could of been worse.

Maks- I won't shoot Wolf steel case. :violin:

You're a little off. Wolf is closer to .22-.23/round.. PMC and the like are around .32-.33/round. Even the higher end match rounds don't run .50 a round.

Anyway, it's really not about how much money the change was.. 3.70 or .03. It's the principal of the matter.

The thing that blows me away is there are loads of ammunition wasters out there popping 5.56 at a 1/2 buck a round. and in the big scheme of things making change didn't seem too significant.

Apples and Oranges, what I do with my money is my choice, he made a choice to keep Dan's change weather is was

$3.50 or .10 it's Dan's. Case and point I use TJ for transfers, the 1st time I went to him I did not have exact change

the bill was something like 355.00, I gave him 360.00 he did not have change and he gave me back the $10

and took $350.00. I told him not to worry about it but he insisted. That being said why would I now go to a guy that

has a bad reputation weather it's true or not when I know TJ is 110% all the time.

With the online shopping the way it is local business need to step it up and it always cannot be done by better prices so it better be done with other small things like giving me back my change. You see these threads as Cry Baby threads I see them as where I should and should not take my business.

What happened on the last thread is nothing new for that vendor they have been that way for as long as I can remember back way before their move, so why would I shop there if nothing changed or even chance it so I can to get the run around?

Look guys, AndyM (OP) asked a simple question. I relayed my only interaction with the shop in question. EVERYONE can make their own decision with regard to whether to go to this guy or not. But, now you are informed and maybe you will be more cautious because you are informed.

I'm gonna leave this open as there is some good info in this thread.

Please don't post in this thread unless you have first hand experience with Mike's Gun Shop in Fairview. If you do, I will delete it without warning.

Thanks

M

Is he set up in the former NAVY ARM'S location?

No Mike's is in a little store front on Anderson Ave. and is real easy to miss if you haven't been there before. The old Navy Arms facility is now a dance studio...LOL

When I was a kid I lived around the corner from Navy Arms and have a lot of memories of that place. Bought my first Ruger MkI there for $115 and my first Model 19 S&W the at LE price for $175 w/ 3 T's.

They took pretty good care of the locals. rscalzo, did you live around there?

Sorry to inform you, Nics charge is $20.00 we do have signs up and it's on the invoice

Sorry to inform you, Nics charge is $20.00 we do have signs up and it's on the invoice

1) Way to resurrect a thread from the grave.

2) No sign AT ALL regarding cost of NICS when I was in there in late 2009. (Went back and checked my COE, it was 10/22/09)

3) Also, I never received an invoice at all, or even a tiny little cash register receipt. Had I received a receipt, of course, it would have been clear.

In any case, you've made your point - you charge $20 for NICS plus tax though the state only charges you $15 plus tax. Good to know.

• Like 1

Resurrecting this from the grave...

I bought another gun on gunbroker from Mike today (some might say despite my previous experience). While I was there I fondled a sweet BHP in the case and fell in love - I may need to go back after Christmas. Damn you Corzine and your damn 30 day law.

NICS remains $20 - no biggie.

Shop was well stocked (wall to wall) with guns and ammo, lights, cuffs, duty belts, etc.

im sure its the not money... its the point..... i went to plenty of places that will be a one time gun buy only because of how they treated me.... personality, attitude, and the amount the person goes out of there way to show a newbie is what i look for... its all about getting a repeat customer like any business practice in new jersey this is a limited one.