Sign in to follow this  
zeenon

Recommend me a rifle

Ok, so I've been going to the outdoor range and having a great time with my M&P 15-22 that has a Nikon 3-9x40mm scope and bipod.

No issues at 25m/50m, at 75m with the scope at 9x a solid 2-3" grouping, at 100m it's a mess. Trying to hit a 1" black circle and can't line it up through the scope, it's like I'm riding in a bumpy car, the cross hair is all over. Tried working on slow trigger control, breathing, etc. that didn't seem help. So now I'm wondering if the following have something to do with it:

1) Wind - It was windy as heck this Sunday at FD.

2) .22LR 36 Grain - What is the effective distance?

3) 3-9x40mm scope - Would a 6-24x50mm be better and make that 1" circle a heck of a lot bigger?

4) AR MP 15-22 - This is probably not the best for long range.

So I'm curious what's out there, that:

1) Shoots farther

2) Ammo won't break the bank (I'm not looking for a .50 cal sniper rifle)

3) I have a AR-15 w/ 16" barrel worth maybe getting a 6-24x50mm scope for that and use .223/5.56?

Z

Get a bigger target at a 100. =)

Are you shooting it off the bench or prone?

I have a hard time off the FD benches myself off of a bipod.... so just picked up a matt from Midway and doing it on the ground. =) Alot more stable.

While, personally, I like BIG glass on my rifles, you have to remember that high magnification not only magnifies the target, but also any flaws in your technique. Dependent on power, you may actually be able to see your heartbeat by the way the reticle moves on the target. Also, high magnification demands high quality glass. Don't buy a "Brand X" 24 power scope for $69.95 and expect a clear bright image at the higher magnification. Powerful scopes are a two-edged sword. All of my big glass is of reasonable quality (Weaver, Leupold & Bushnell) and mounted on guns capable of sub-MOA groups.

Just got a .22 "plinker" and I'm confining my optics to 6x, and probably won't shoot much beyond 50 yards.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

IMO high power scopes are great for target shooting. I had a 6-24x tasco scope on my 22, was pretty good at 100 yards. Also had a 6.5-20x scope on my 308 which was also good. I now curently have a 10-40x by 50mm Tasco target scope on my savage 10 308 high precision rifle and love it. Was able to shoot a nice grouping at 200 yards. For me the higher the power the better.

As for a rifle anything with a free floating barrell will give you the best accuracy. As for caliber it is up to you. I use NATO caliber rounds(223 and 308) easy to get and not really hard on budget. Any round should be good for the ranges that you can find NJ. Fd is 200, central jersey is 300 I think never shot there. Your AR should be able to shoot a nice grouping at 100 with a high power scope and bipod, prone is best but bench should be good too.

Keep working on your breathing, trigger control, and on relaxing your muscles. When sitting or prone get yourself as relaxed as possible because the more tense you are the worse you will shoot. Getting better with your rifle is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying a new gun. But that is just me. Try a different scope first, if you are still having trouble then try out another gun. I'm sure you know someone who will let you try out one of their rifles.

Pic of target at 200 yards not great

downsized_0317002357.jpg

My remington 700 has a nikon 6-24x50 and vepr/rimfires have 3-9x40's on them, Burris.

I have looked at some big power glass before, on multiple occasions, but it is just not usable. the picture just looks down right dirty. I would love to have a nice 40x scope, but...... not at the sacrifice of quality. At that point, I would not want to spend 4k on a good scope. $700 nikons are pretty amazing for the money and would put them up against any leupold.

Why not get a varmint upper for it? 24" fluted bull barrel made by a reputable company. You could go a little crazy and get a 6.5 Grendel upper. Awesome cartridge but tough to find ammo.

The m&p 15-22 will not accept a standard ar upper. The lower is smaller than a normal AR and if I recall is made of a polymer not metal.

Wow this post was from the beginning of March. Shortly after posting I decided to get a Savage Arms 10 FP (.308) with a Nikon 6-24x50 scope and love it!!!

I'm looking for a rifle in .223 now, long story short my brother in law is buying my .223 AR-15, so I've been looking for another Savage in 223. They have an 11 FXP3 which looks similar to the 10 FP I have. 2" shorter barrel, has the accu-trigger and comes with a scope. The scope is probably cheap so I was thinking of switching it with the nikon 3-9x40 that is on my MP15-22 now.

Z

That setup is a really good combo (10FP and the Nikon). I ordered a bull bag a few weeks ago on Tim's advice and I'm all set now at the range. Still can't shoot, but at least now I can hit that 8" 3/8" steel plate at 200 yards 2/3 of the time.

Z