Cylinder Head

HORRIBLE experience shipping a weapon from BH this weekend.

I'm a long time customer of the Bullet Hole. I've spend THOUSANDS there, and the way I've been treated by them in the last few days has been nothing less than contemptuous.

I went in on Friday to ship my P7M8 and dealt with Manny, the owner. As we were working out the details I told him that the new owner of the gun had not wanted to pay more than $60 for shipping, to which Manny replied that insurance for the $1,600 weapon plus overnight shipping would run over $100, but if sent overnight it would not be necessary to insure it for that amount because the weapon would be signed for at literally every exchange of hands.

I said fine, if it's packaged properly and sent overnight without all of that insurance we should be fine right? Manny replied yes, it should be just fine.

I made it EXPRESSLY clear that I wanted the weapon shipped overnight. MULTIPLE TIMES, including when I was on the phone with the person to whom I was shipping the gun, right in front of Manny. He quoted me $65 for overnight shipping with $500 insurance, the minimum for that type of transaction. He told me that Jen (older Jen) would call me on Saturday with a tracking number, and that if shipping ran over $65 he'd charge me for the difference. I agreed to that.

What was not made clear to me was that UPS does not pick up on Saturdays, and that the weapon would likely not go out until Monday.

I never got a call on Saturday with a tracking number, and on Monday (yesterday) when I called to check, I spoke with Jen (older Jen). The gun had not gone out. I repeated to Jen, multiple times, that the gun was to go out OVERNIGHT. It was absolutely imperative. I promised the buyer it would be shipped this way. She gave me a tracking number (that still does not work as of this moment) and told me that it would go out that day, overnight.

As of this morning the gun still had not gone out. The buyer of the gun, Will, called me to tell me that he spoke with someone at Bullet Hole, and that I had told them to ship the gun "as cheaply as possible and with no insurance". Absolute bs.

I am now mortified. I do not do business like this. I work in finance, we cross our T's and dot our I's. I don't mess around with a paying customer, EVER.

I called to clear this up with Manny. He was bullish, put words in my mouth and tried to make it like this was somehow my fault, despite my repeated pleas with both him and Jen that it was to be sent overnight. I insisted that in both my talks with him and Jen that I wanted the gun shipped overnight, and reminded him of our conversation. He told me I "misunderstood him" and that it was too late because the gun had already shipped. I didn't misunderstand. I have a near perfect memory of our conversation Friday, and of my conversation with Jen yesterday. I never once agreed to 2 or 3 day shipping.

My faith has been shaken. Jen I know you read this. I've never had anything but great things to say about your store on this forum or anywhere. I need this to be made right.

She gave me a tracking number (that still does not work as of this moment

The tracking number is generated as soon as the vendor puts the items into the UPS system. I found it takes a few hours until it actually reflects any change. Most likely that will be when it enters the Secaucus hub and is scanned.

the weapon would be signed for at literally every exchange of hands.

While it might be scanned numerious times along the route, I don't know about an actual signature.

Hmmmm...so the guy get's his gun on Tues instead of Mon? Was he leaving the country and one day made that much of a difference? I'm on the fence on this one, but I ship stuff all the time and know Fedex/USP only deliver on Sat. and UPS is closed SAT/SUN (residential).

Z

She gave me a tracking number (that still does not work as of this moment

The tracking number is generated as soon as the vendor puts the items into the UPS system. I found it takes a few hours until it actually reflects any change. Most likely that will be when it enters the Secaucus hub and is scanned.

The package was sent today, when I plug it into the UPS system it gives me an error. Apparently Jen misread the number to me, and I am absolutely not calling back to get yelled at and badgered by Manny again.

zeenon, I requested overnight, and promised it to the buyer. I was never told the package was shipping via UPS, however there was no reason why the gun shouldn't have gone out yesterday, and it only shipped today.

Does this need to be dual posted in two sections?

Did the buyer's FFL refuse to accept shipping from an individual?

The Bullet Hole forum has been dead for a while, but I do want Jen to see my story, as she knows me personally.

I was under the impression that FFL to FFL was the only way to ship a weapon, at least in Jersey.

...I was under the impression that FFL to FFL was the only way to ship a weapon, at least in Jersey.
Nope. But more likely the cheapest. USPS priority Insured Mail plus transfer fee may cost less than if you sent it UPS or FedEx Next Day.
  • Like 1

...I was under the impression that FFL to FFL was the only way to ship a weapon, at least in Jersey.
Nope. But more likely the cheapest. USPS priority Insured Mail plus transfer fee may cost less than if you sent it UPS or FedEx Next Day.

That knowledge would have saved me time, blood pressure and a migraine. I've always shipped firearms through BH.

Forgot to mention earlier, the buyer is going on vacation later this week, hence the reason for the overnight.

Hmmmm...so the guy get's his gun on Tues instead of Mon? Was he leaving the country and one day made that much of a difference? I'm on the fence on this one, but I ship stuff all the time and know Fedex/USP only deliver on Sat. and UPS is closed SAT/SUN (residential).

Z

UPS does Saturday delivery but it costs big bucks.

If the receiving FFL will accept from an individual, you can ship yourself via UPS or FedEx (but not the Post Office). Some FFLs are bitches about this and lie to you saying that the law requires they accept only from another FFL. I will not deal with them any more. I tell the buyer to find one who will accept from me or they are out of luck. Federal law does not state anything about having to ship overnight. This is a policy instituted by UPS/FedEx to combat sticky-fingered employees. Overnight packages are tracked much more closely and are harder to steal. You can go to a FedEx/UPS hub (Do not walk into the Kinko/FedEx office, the college slacker working there will probably call the cops on you) and mail it overnight. Just know that shipping a 5lb gun overnight via FedEx will cost you $50 to for a destination this side of the Mississippi and close to $70 to make it to the West Coast. I believe that UPS is slightly cheaper.

The advantage to using an FFL is that they can ship through the US Post Office and it does not have to be overnight. This is much cheaper, but then you have to factor in the FFL transfer that they may charge you.

I am not advocating this but...

You are only violating UPS/FedEx company policy, not the law, if you send the gun 2nd day air and neglect to mention that it is a firearm. You must make sure to check off the Delivery Required box so that it is signed for by the recipient.

Isn't the point that an individual familiar with the FFL requested a specific service, and when the situation became FUBAR, the FFL, instead of taking responsibility, decided to defame the same individual requesting the specific service?

Technical aspects aside, if a person/group fails at providing a service, shouldn't they accept it and remedy the situation to move forward. And if the technical aspect was an issue to began with, shouldn't it have been noted prior to agreeing to anything?

Isn't the point that an individual familiar with the FFL requested a specific service, and when the situation became FUBAR, the FFL, instead of taking responsibility, decided to defame the same individual requesting the specific service?

Technical aspects aside, if a person/group fails at providing a service, shouldn't they accept it and remedy the situation to move forward. And if the technical aspect was an issue to began with, shouldn't it have been noted prior to agreeing to anything?

This. Thank you. Shipping semantics aside, this is the point.

I have had issues there also not with shipping but with the way they treat you when you are there. I just simply chose to not ever do business there again I have used the range 2 or 3 times since but that's it. They are the only public range around and they know it and because of that they approach their customers with whatever attitude they want and if anything is questioned you will get barked at, just find an FFL who will treat you as a person and provide you with the service you need.

PM me and I will give you my FFL's info and you will never deal with this again and his pricing will beat the BH everytime.

I totally understand. Some days I go into the BH and I am treated like sh*t. Like that RO that stops you at the door and yells the range rules at you before you even finish shutting the door or the great customer service :lol::lol: that I receive when I want to look at something or have a question. They are really good at making someone feel stupid and inexperienced.

Then there are other days where you walk in, share a laugh and look at some cool guns with them. Days like that keep me coming back...plus, they are the closest public range. :?