Sign in to follow this  

After looking for a while trying to figure out what grains do what (lower grains to higher grains with their relative results), and coming up with about 30 different histories of what a grain is, and not what it actually translates to in use, I ask you.

What is the difference between the grains besides bullet weight? Someone told me the higher the grain the less recoil and more power? BTW Im looking for info on 9mm and not rifle rounds, so keep that in mind as I dont think Ill be shoot much more than 25 yards.

yeah.... grains is a measure used.

When it comes to rounds, not bullets, so lets get that out of the way too. A round, is the term for the complete cartridge that goes inside the gun. Consisting of the bullet(projectile), sitting atop of gun powder, inside a brass case(or aluminum), with a primer at the bottom.

Grains can be used to discuss both, the projectile weight, and the amount of gun powder. Typically, reloaders talk grains of powder. =P

The bullets themselves, for 9mm, are going to be 115gr, or 124gr. typically, the lighter bullet will be shot at a faster rate, however a heavier bullet is preferred for longer distances as easier to stabilize.

For recoil, most people typically would load less powder, ie, grains, but for factory loads, you dont have a choice.

Hope that makes sense.

Just go shoot them, and see what makes a difference.

Most 9mm ammo you are going to buy, Winchester white box, Remington UMC green box, PMC, are going to be 115gr, and shoot about the same, recoil wise. You have some 124gr home defense rounds, ie Speer Gold Dots, that are 124gr Jacketed Hollow points, that are a little bit hotter(more powder), that will kick a bit more, but shoot at higher energy, ie, knockdown power.

For shooting at 25 yards though, wont mean anything practical.

Only when you start shooting past 100 yards will that translate into stuff you ought to care for.

Hmm I just picked up a few rounds of American Truncated, 147 grain. I know this means more kinetic energy, but is the recoil difference noticeably stronger or weaker than a 115? Logic is telling me its stronger, but ive heard otherwise.

Also, thanks for your fast as replies, some of the fastest Ive seen on any forum

Hmm I just picked up a few rounds of American Truncated, 147 grain. I know this means more kinetic energy, but is the recoil difference noticeably stronger or weaker than a 115? Logic is telling me its stronger, but ive heard otherwise.

Also, thanks for your fast as replies, some of the fastest Ive seen on any forum

I was shooting my G19 with a few different kinds of ammo. white box 115 FMJ and Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm 147gr JHP +P and I mixed up the bullets when I was loading the magazine to see if I could feel the difference. From my experience with that I could feel the 147gr felt more powerful in general and it seemed like the slide would kick back faster than with the 147gr.

I asked a question on this site earlier about shooting +P ammo usually 147gr through glocks because I read about the glock "kaboom" and didn't want to risk it. Someone suggested that I move up to a bigger caliber for the desired effect and I think thats the best choice. Although I called Glock and and spoke with someone who said its not a problem shooting +P ammo through them I didn't feel like the Glock was handling the +P 147 gr as well as it should have.

I was shooting my G19 with a few different kinds of ammo. white box 115 FMJ and Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm 147gr JHP +P and I mixed up the bullets when I was loading the magazine to see if I could feel the difference. From my experience with that I could feel the 147gr felt more powerful in general and it seemed like the slide would kick back faster than with the 147gr.

I asked a question on this site earlier about shooting +P ammo usually 147gr through glocks because I read about the glock "kaboom" and didn't want to risk it. Someone suggested that I move up to a bigger caliber for the desired effect and I think thats the best choice. Although I called Glock and and spoke with someone who said its not a problem shooting +P ammo through them I didn't feel like the Glock was handling the +P 147 gr as well as it should have.

Please explain what I put in red.

For defense +P is just fine in your GLOCK. Many LEO use them and GLOCK stands behind +P use. Internet babble is just that!

For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. Heavier bullets do not necessarily mean heavier recoil. A light bullet generally garners higher velocity, a heavy one lower - but recoil energy is mass x velocity so you can't categorically state that a heavier bullet will have more recoil.

As was pointed out, the bullet weight has little to do with stabilization except for how it relates to the twist rate of firearm it is being shot from. Heavier bullets require faster twist rates to stabilize.

Heavier bullets will retain their velocity further down range (momentum).

7000 grains = 1.0 pound

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Pizza Bob gave a more complete answer than I regarding weight and stability. What I meant was that weight doesnt cause one round to be stable and another to be unstable. Length and weight are key determining elemants on what twist rate it takes to stabalise the projo. Here is the answer I got from an honest to goodness actual Ballisticiana few years back:

Shane,

Both the bullets weight and length are important factors in stability. Since they usually go hand in hand, the distinction isn't obvious, but they're both important.

A long light bullet is the worst case scenario and requires the fastest twist. A short heavy bullet doesn't need much spin at all.

If you're interested in a program that calculates bullet stability, send me an email and I'll reply with the program attached.

Take care,

-Bryan

Please explain what I put in red.

For defense +P is just fine in your GLOCK. Many LEO use them and GLOCK stands behind +P use. Internet babble is just that!

typo, should be:

"From my experience with that I could feel the 147gr felt more powerful in general and it seemed like the slide would kick back faster than with the 115gr"

I know its approved to handle the +P 147 grain but I just felt as though the gun wasn't meant to handle the extra pressure. When the slide slammed back it just felt like there was too much pressure, or it could just be me accustomed to shooting with the 115gr. Thats just my 2cents. In any case I am waiting to step up to a .45.