Sign in to follow this  
zeenon

Diary of a Newbie Reloader II

So, after a long conversation last month at FD, maks gave me the bug to reload.

RELOAD3.JPG

So after buy all the necessary items and reading manual after manual, I was off:

RELOAD7.JPG

Setting up the press was pretty simple, but be prepared to read the directions at least 3 times. Maybe because it was my first time, but Lee needs to come up with a better manual.

I used the following process:

1) Sort & inspect the cases

2) Tumble cases

3) Lube cases

4) Size & decap cases

5) Delube the cases

6) Clean the primer pocket

7) Trim to length and size with caliper

8) Debur/Chamfer

9) Seat the primer

10) Drop the powder

11) Seat the bullet

12) Check COAL on finished bullet

1) Sort and inspect the cases.

No reason to tumble a case that is bad (and in my case crimped)

2) Tumble cases

I order the Cabela's tumbler and sifter. I dumped about 3 capfuls of polish into the tumbler with the media and let it run for about 15 minutes to get rid of the clumps. I threw in about 3 handfuls of .223 and about 1 1/2 old drier sheets cut to 2"x2". The tumbler can take way more then that but I figure I'd start off slow.

RELOAD1.JPG

Clean brass

RELOAD2.JPG

3) Lube cases

I use the Lyman case neck cleaner and lubricator. Push the case on/off and dip the neck in the mica.

RELOAD8.JPG

RELOAD9.JPG

I squeeze a little lube out on the edge of the table for roughly 50 cases, and apply a light coating to the case, avoiding the neck and shoulder.

4)Size & decap cases

Case is ready to be decaped and sized. You can see the mica around the neck area and barely see the lube on the casing.

RELOAD10.JPG

5) Delube the cases

6) Clean the primer pocket

As I'm wiping off the lube, I'm cleaning the primer pocket.

RELOAD11.JPG

RELOAD12.JPG

Update:

I wasn't to impressed with the Lee primer pocket cleaner so I picked up the RCBS cleaner. I think it works better then the Lee, but the brush wires tend to bend :( if your not careful. A suggestion I saw, was to use the nylon brush dremel makes, attached to a variable speed drill/dremel. Seems you can clean out the pockets as fast as you can touch them on the brush.

RELOADE.JPG

7) Trim to length and size with caliper

I originally bought the Lee case sizers and quickly realized it would take FOREVER doing it by hand:

RELOADD.JPG

I quickly moved up to the Forster Original Case trimmer. I think this is one of those must have tools if you'll be doing a lot of trimming. I added a small plastic case, I had laying around, to keep the brass shavings from going all over.

RELOADC.JPG

I'll update these later this week.

8) Debur/Chamfer

9) Seat the primer

10) Drop the powder

11) Seat the bullet

12) Check COAL on finished bullet

Everything looked ok so I'm hoping Maks and Tim make it on tonight and let me know if I screwed up any place. I followed the Sierra manual and only made about 10 rds with the min charge:

20.1 Reloder 7

55 gr. FMJ

2.250 COAL

RELOAD5.JPG

RELOAD6.JPG

RELOAD4.JPG

Z

Zeenon-looks like your doing well, you're very methodical which is good.

What I like to do with rifle cartridges is: Keep all critical demensions the same and, go up 1/2 gr at a time and of course stop short of Max load. Load 5 rounds at each loading. Fire the lightest 5 first but after even the first shot inspect for signs of pressure, inspect all cases for pressure. Fire the next five the same way,and continue with the rest. Check your groups. Settle on a load that fuctions well in your rifle, gives you nice groups and gives you a velocity that you're happy with.

Now if you want to chrono, I have a standing offer that I'll chrono for the forum.

You'll have Loads of fun and satisfaction in your work.

Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press

Lee 4 Hole Turrets (optional, get one turret for each die set you buy, trust me)*

Lee Safety Primer Feeder (Small and Larger)

Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure Double Disk Kit

Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure

Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner

Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure Riser

Lee Auto-Disk Rifle Powder Charging Die

You will need a set for EACH rifle or pistol you want to reload:

Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set XXXXX (insert rifle cal)

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set XXXXX (insert pistol cal)

Lee Case Length Gage and shellholder XXXXXXX (insert cal)

Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud

(The jury is still out on this, this is by far the part that took the longest)

Lee Chamfer and Deburring Tool

Lyman Reloading Hankbook 49th Edition

Sierra 5th Edition Reloading manual

ABC's of Reloading 7th Edition

Cabela's Rotary sifter

Cabela's Vibratory Case Tumbler

Cabela's 6 Lbs Corn Media w/ 8 oz Brass polish

RCBS RangeMaster 750 Powder Scale

Caliper

RCBS bullet puller

Lee resize lube

*I need some guidance on this one, Lee makes a 3 turret and 4 turret disk. When you reload for rifle you only use 3 dies (at least for .223/.308). Pistol uses all 4 positions (the 4th crimps the bullet). So, when you are reloading rifle cal. you pull an extra time to skip the blank. Can you use the 3 hole turrets?

Z

Ok, only thing I do different....

Instead of sizing and depriming, I got the Lee Universal Decapper, which you can run cases dirty through it. Once decapped, you can clean pocket, then tumble.

So I have done it both ways.

I do have to get that sifter though, looks alot better.

Last note on the turret holes, I use the last one to verify the round, and if you put blank in between, I use it to verify powder.

Also.... make sure you got some powder in the hopper, when you get it low... it will throw a little less of a charge.

Two questions:

1) On the case length, what is an acceptable +/-? 1/100? 1/1000?

Ex. If the trim to length is 2.005 (.308 Win), is that 100% the length? Or is +/- 2/1000 ok?

2) Same with powder. If the recipe calls for 38.8 +/- 1/10 of a gr ok? (I see a powder trickler in my future)

Z

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:hand: :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Hey pal, at least I have a bed to sleep in . . .

One more that I forgot to ask.

I've been using the Full Length Sizer on all of the .223 and .308 cases, when do you use the Collet Neck Sizer die? (Can only use one or the other since they both have a decapping pin.)

The deluxe Rifle die set comes with both.

Z

One more that I forgot to ask.

I've been using the Full Length Sizer on all of the .223 and .308 cases, when do you use the Collet Neck Sizer die? (Can only use one or the other since they both have a decapping pin.)

The deluxe Rifle die set comes with both.

Z

You use that if the case is being fired out of the same gun, preferably a bolt action, where the case is fireformed to your firearm.

In a semi auto, you should be only using the full size resize.

Updated first post with new pics.

Tested out 10 - .308 rds and 10 - .223 rds and checked each one as they came out. I didn't see any issues but I leave that to the experts here:

RELOADA.JPG

No cracks or buldges on the case, area around the primers all look good.