Sign in to follow this  
67gtonut

Drifting Front Sight

So my Ameriglo front sight has moved a little .....

Since gunsmiths in NW NJ are rare.... its time to grow a set and do this myself.

So..... just get a brass punch set? or should I get the dedicated Sight tool for my M&P?

..... and to keep the sight from moving again.... Red or Blue Loctite?

Any thoughts appreciated....

Remove the slide, remove the sight. On a padded surface hold the slide and give one of the inside edges of the dovetail a little tap w/ the brass punch.

You just want to push that edge down a little. Replace the sight. The problem is the after market sight has a slightly undersized male dovetail.

Now "Red" permanent Loocktite may get you by without tapping the dovetail.

Your choice. A nice set brass puches is nice to have and should do the trick.

FS

Remove the slide, remove the sight. On a padded surface hold the slide and give one of the inside edges of the dovetail a little tap w/ the brass punch.

You just want to push that edge down a little. Replace the sight. The problem is the after market sight has a slightly undersized male dovetail.

Now "Red" permanent Loocktite may get you by without tapping the dovetail.

Your choice. A nice set brass puches is nice to have and should do the trick.

FS

I guess I dont understand because I dont really know which part of the sight is the "dovetail", and how exactly the groove where the sight is placed is shaped?

Looking from the side is the groove shaped /___\ or >___

Just for what it's worth...the guy that opened the shop in my town is a gunsmith.

Mastodon Ammo & Camo is located at 195 Highland Lakes Road, Highland Lakes, NJ. We offer Bait, Tackle, Firearm Sales, Ammunition Sales, and Gunsmithing Services

http://www.mastodonammo.com/

Just for what it's worth...the guy that opened the shop in my town is a gunsmith.

Mastodon Ammo & Camo is located at 195 Highland Lakes Road, Highland Lakes, NJ. We offer Bait, Tackle, Firearm Sales, Ammunition Sales, and Gunsmithing Services

http://www.mastodonammo.com/

Called him.... seems nice, but only open till 5.....

If I cant find a set of brass punches..... I will call him again Sat.

Looking from the side is the groove shaped /___\ or >___

Typically /___\

OK...... so doing what Frank says to do.... I am just hitting the top of the slide to bring down the edge to hold the sight in tighter..... correct? I am NOT hitting the actual sight....

Will a brass punch actually move that edge of the sight channel? Or am I totally confused now?

You sure you want to use red loctite?

I think I'd hedge with blue or purple first.

I have the blue at home..... used a drop last time I drifted the sight......thats why I was thinking Red this time..... little nervous about it

A heat gun will make short work of red without any appreciable damage to the slide. You could also try a shim. I would consider using a brass feeler gauge as shim stock.

A heat gun will make short work of red without any appreciable damage to the slide. You could also try a shim. I would consider using a brass feeler gauge as shim stock.

I have any brass shim stock you could imagine. We use it from 2 thousandths on up for shimming stamping dies. If you need some, just tell me what thickness you want.

As for Red loctite, I've twisted off hardened cap screws that were bound in with Red. We had to pull out this bearing from a stamping machine...it's one that never needs changed. We used heat and in the end twisted half the bolts off. We had to fabricate a whole new retaining assembly that the outer race was pressed into.

Update:

Couldnt find Brass punches to save my life locally.....

Ended up buying a section of 1/4" aluminum rod from Home Depot. Cut it down to 6" length ...... worked perfect.

Drifted sight all the way out. I tapped on either end of channel to crimp it down, doubt it budged. I coated the channel with Blue Loctite, and drifted sight to center.

If this doesnt hold..... then it will go to Gunsmith, or I will order proper tools to crimp down that channel, and do it myself....

You could have ordered them from McMaster yesterday and had it today.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-punches/=6g4l8d

We order stuff from there every day. Warehouse is in NJ and they ship same day if it's in stock and everything always is. Great outfit.

You could have ordered them from McMaster yesterday and had it today.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-punches/=6g4l8d

We order stuff from there every day. Warehouse is in NJ and they ship same day if it's in stock and everything always is. Great outfit.

...... and where were you yesterday?

:teasing-wedgie:

Sorry, it didn't occur to me. You have it for future reference. You can get any tool you want and have it the next day, McMaster is amazing. They aren't a bargain but they are industrial supply and pretty much always has everything. They also have things like bunny suits for painting(tyvek) and electrical components etc. We could get stuff from McMaster in NJ and have it in Honduras faster than they could get stuff from Tegucigulpa(major city 4 hours away by car).