chefhunter34

Reloading Cost?

I would say a good setup.... entry level, ie Lee classic Turret and all about $400.

you can start cheaper if you buy used, or a single stage.... but after all the stuff, about $400 on the gear.

You're pretty much on the money Maks. But if I was reloading rifle like 30-06 and 222 I'd stick with a single stage press since the reloading process is alot more QC intensive. RCBS makes a Rockchucker kit that's pretty comprhensive. And BTW the Rockchucker is an "O" press and super tough.

I would say a good setup.... entry level, ie Lee classic Turret and all about $400.

you can start cheaper if you buy used, or a single stage.... but after all the stuff, about $400 on the gear.

You're pretty much on the money Maks. But if I was reloading rifle like 30-06 and 222 I'd stick with a single stage press since the reloading process is alot more QC intensive. RCBS makes a Rockchucker kit that's pretty comprhensive. And BTW the Rockchucker is an "O" press and super tough.

Thats why I love the Lee Classic Turret. You get single stage and turret in one. =) Plus it can do all the big rounds, in turret mode, and even 50 BMG, but that is only in single stage. =)

I personally ended up spending closer to $600, after you factor in ammo boxes, and lots of 'em, tumbler, extra turrets, 5 sets of dies.

Think of it as another gun purchase, only this one lets you shoot more, for less and a better experience. Because of reloading, I am able to comfortably afford to shoot 80 to 100 rounds of 308 on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Top notch, match grade loads come to $.41 a round, shooting Sierra Match Kings, which are $.27 of that equation.

Other oddballs, like 45GAP, I can load for $12 a box of 50, with jacketed hollow points, as opposed to paying $23 a box. 9mm is running me about $7 a box.

9mm is running me about $7 a box.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I was looking at this months Midway circular last night, and maybe Midway isn't the best place to look for supplies, but between the price of brass and bullets, it doesn't seem like there's much of a savings in reloading 9mm. Sure, if you find enough "free" brass I'm sure it becomes much more economical, but, with the way everyone is scrounging for brass at the ranges these days, seems like it would be harder and harder to find brass. I dunno.. I feel like I'm missing something :?:

For all you guys who reload, What would my initial cost be to purchase a basic set up? I have only a 30-06 and .222. The others are shot guns, and a .22.

You get what you paid for. Spend Wisely, my recommendation, single stage,

http://www.forsterproducts.com/

Progressive

http://www.dillonprecision.com/Dillon_R ... s-8-1.html

If you want to reaload and cast your own bullets

http://www.bulletswage.com/presses.htm

but between the price of brass and bullets, it doesn't seem like there's much of a savings in reloading 9mm

The savings in reloading is by re-using your brass. It basically takes that cost out of the equation. You may need to buy brass in the beginning, but after you accumulate (a few hundred rounds), you keep re-using it. Hence.. RE-load. You typically are not buying new brass every time you load.

For something like 9mm, almost indefinitely. 9mm doesn't generate a tremendous amount of chamber pressure (relative to a magnum load). For example, I have .357 magnum brass that I have reloaded probably 30 times. .45's that I've reloaded probably 70 times and there are no stress signs in site. Basically you can use the brass until you begin to see a crack at the neck. A quick inspection after cleaning, and you can weed out the few bad ones.

Remember, the brass case only acts as a gasket in the chamber. The brass only expands to as much as the size of the chamber. So it's only a few thousandths.

as others have said....

quick comment about brass whoring.... it is mostly overhyped joke. =)

For things like 9mm, 40 sw, etc... you can easily find the brass. I have been saving mine for the past year since I considered reloading. 223 is readily picked up at the range. The tough ones are oddball calibers, like 45gap, 10mm, 357, 380, 38 super. For rifle, 308 etc, most people will not shoot indoors, and the ones outdoor, you have to know. If you are reloading light loads, you can reuse brass for a long time, esp if you are shooting out of a bolt action rifle.

Rifle is different than pistol because you are often dealing with much higher chamber pressure. But .223 should be OK. BE CAREFUL with range brass on .223. A lot of guys shoot Foreign Military Surplus. Not only do you have the Crimped primer to worry about, Check to make sure it is not Berdan primed otherwise you will be buying a new decapping pin!

Rifle is different than pistol because you are often dealing with much higher chamber pressure. But .223 should be OK. BE CAREFUL with range brass on .223. A lot of guys shoot Foreign Military Surplus. Not only do you have the Crimped primer to worry about, Check to make sure it is not Berdan primed otherwise you will be buying a new decapping pin!

+1 on this. :?

can somebody post a list of needs. I am ready to start loading my own ammo and need to get my stuff.

Maybe we can start a list and people can add as they see fit. I will start with a few basics that I can thing of:

Digital Caliper

Digital Scale that measures in Grains

Case trimmer

Chamfer

Case lube (If the dies are not carbide)

Primer pocket cleaner

Dies

Powder

Primers

Reloading Press

Bullets

Cases to load

Powder funnel

Case tumbler

Polishing Media

Polish

Sifter with bucket

I think Zeenon had a list recently that I am sure he can copy and paste, it was quite complete.

Alternatively, if someone wants Lee stuff, I do have a dealer account with them that I can get you dealer prices, which are basically 25 to 30% off msrp.

If anyone is looking for dillon stuff, may I remind people that Vinny, from Hunting World guns and ammo offers a discount for dillon equipment. Contact him directly for more info and pricing.

Maksim,

What is the best? Is Lee better or Dillion?

I am looking for a quality set up. Doesn't need to be to of the line but I want to make sure I buy stuff that is gonna last.

Dillon makes really good stuff, for the value, I choose the Lee Classic Turret myself, so did Zeenon. For the money it is a great press. it is faster than a single stage, but not quite as fast as a full progressive. Main reasons i went with it, alot cheaper to add on to reload for other calibers. will let tim chime in, I have been reloading for a short period of time, as opposed to some others on here. =)

Maksim,

What is the best? Is Lee better or Dillion?

I am looking for a quality set up. Doesn't need to be to of the line but I want to make sure I buy stuff that is gonna last.

Too many answers availible for such a vague question.

Are you concerned with speed?

Do you want to do rifle or pistol?

What is your budget?

Not sure if this was mentioned already but a progressive press is pretty good for pistol calibers. I use a Lee Pro 1000. Currently load 9mm, 40, 38sp, 357 mag and 45. A little frustrating setting it up but once it is complete, rounds come out of that thing quickly, all very accurate. Learning the feel of the machine is important, only takes about 10 rounds and your good to go. Progression of the plate, feeling the seating of the primer, etc. I plan on buying a second so I can do large pistol primer on one and small on the other. Just change the plate and the 3 hole turret.

I keep a turret with the dies for each caliber along with the powder measure so no need for adjusting when I switch.

When I was reloading 30-06, I used a single stage and measured each charge by hand. I think I was using the Lee Challenger?

I know a few people on this forum only use a single stage for rifle calibers.

I will be doing rifle eventually, just not right now. Also, I don't own any rifles but I am positive that will change.

I plan on loading:

pistol:

9mm

.357 sig

Rifle:

What I am getting at is, I'd rather spend the money once and not buy something I won't use and then have to upgrade. I like the idea of progressive.

Is there a possibilty that somebody is loading soon, that I can come check out the process?

I'm sure this is a silly question, but, how come some presses can't do rifle? Is it just height clearance or something? And, is there any reason to get a press that can't do rifle?

Yes some presses only allow the height clearence for pistol rounds. Like a Dillon SDB.

Some people only load for pistol. I load for both,but use Dillon SDB's for pistols and a Rock Chucker for rifles. I will be upgrading to a turret press for rifles in the future.

The is nothing wrong with a press that can do both, I prefer to leave my presses set up with as little change as necessary. I have 2 SDb's, one for large primer and one for small, and 2 RCBS's for the same.