Scrap

What's the deal with open carry in NJ?

Please explain and discuss thank you kindly.

And for the record, despite the fact I do not know the answer to this question, I am tacticooler than you son. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :pray: :pray: :pray: :dance::dance::dance: :hope: :hope: :hope:

:lol: 8-) :lol: :mrgreen:

NJ Gun Laws are unique. In most states the law tells youn what you can't do. Anything that's not prohibited is legal. NJ Gun Laws basically make anything to do with firearms illegal except what the law says you can do. A carry permit in NJ is a "permit to carry a handgun". Doesn't say open or concealed but if you have one and you're not uniformed security of some type it better be concealed.

NJ Gun Laws are unique. In most states the law tells youn what you can't do. Anything that's not prohibited is legal. NJ Gun Laws basically make anything to do with firearms illegal except what the law says you can do. A carry permit in NJ is a "permit to carry a handgun". Doesn't say open or concealed but if you have one and you're not uniformed security of some type it better be concealed.

Correct. As a former holder of an NJ CCW, I can confirm that NJ law makes no distinction between open or concealed carry among permit holders.

Why is that? If it's legal, then why better it be concealed?

Correct. As a former holder of an NJ CCW, I can confirm that NJ law makes no distinction between open or concealed carry among permit holders.

when did you have a CCW and why not anymore?

I had a NJ CCW for roughly two years, from January of 08 to December 09. I no longer have it as pursuant to NJ law permits for armored car employment are under a separate system and must be turned in if you no longer work for the company.

Yeah, it had heavy restrictions on it. NJ gives the issuing judge authority to place whatever restrictions he feels like on the permit. Some had restrictions down to a specific model of gun down to the serial of the gun. Hilarity ensued when one guy got his permit in the mail to find out it was a coaster as the serial was misspelled. There were about 60 of us with permits, and virtually no two were the same on the back! Only one person had a true CCW without restrictions besides state law. Some counties even require additional court hearings and the applicant must appear in front of a judge. In addition to all the state police, and fingerprinting visits. It's quite a mess....takes very long, anywhere between 3 and 6 months, and the longest I have seen was 14 months, quickest was 3 1/2 weeks.

The permit's face has the NJ statutes on the front and the signature of the issuing judge printed and signed. The back has your picture, fingerprints, vital info and then a space for restrictions to be printed on. Mine was "Valid only while performing duties for ________" and then had the make, model, serial, and caliber of the only two handguns I could carry

Actually, the way the law is written, I can open carry a shotgun/rifle if I am in possession of my valid FID card.

This seems to be the law, anyone want to comment?

Actually, the way the law is written, I can open carry a shotgun/rifle if I am in possession of my valid FID card.

I agree, "the way the law is written". :hand:

• Like 1

I had a NJ CCW for roughly two years, from January of 08 to December 09. I no longer have it as pursuant to NJ law permits for armored car employment are under a separate system and must be turned in if you no longer work for the company.

Yeah, it had heavy restrictions on it. NJ gives the issuing judge authority to place whatever restrictions he feels like on the permit. Some had restrictions down to a specific model of gun down to the serial of the gun. Hilarity ensued when one guy got his permit in the mail to find out it was a coaster as the serial was misspelled. There were about 60 of us with permits, and virtually no two were the same on the back! Only one person had a true CCW without restrictions besides state law. Some counties even require additional court hearings and the applicant must appear in front of a judge. In addition to all the state police, and fingerprinting visits. It's quite a mess....takes very long, anywhere between 3 and 6 months, and the longest I have seen was 14 months, quickest was 3 1/2 weeks.

The permit's face has the NJ statutes on the front and the signature of the issuing judge printed and signed. The back has your picture, fingerprints, vital info and then a space for restrictions to be printed on. Mine was "Valid only while performing duties for ________" and then had the make, model, serial, and caliber of the only two handguns I could carry

wow, with all that I dont know if I want a NJ CCW Permit.

wow, with all that I dont know if I want a NJ CCW Permit.

Yeah, even if they made NJ CCW shall issue tomorrow, the judges and beaurocrats have all the tools they need to make it so that the applicant is in the permit process at all times, or the permit has such asinine restrictions it's junk anyway.

Thanks for all it was indeed a serious question, just joked a little at the end...

So it's NOT legal to open carry but it's not ILLEGAL?

Sounds a little bit like hollow points right, it's legal to buy and own and have in a gun and shoot, but illegal to use hollowpoints in a crime, right?

So I CANNOT open carry? Thanks agian.

and I am still tacticooler than you son! :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :violin: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :arrow: 8-)

So then I should be OK with a shotgun in the trunk, unloaded, encased, with no specific range destination and be in possession of a valid FID and be in the clear...they way the law is written...Im just saying...not that I condone that sort of thing...

anyone want to comment on this?

If you have an NJ CCW you could open carry a handgun and it is 100% legal provided you are not in a prohibited place.

However, if you are not in a security guard uniform, and walking around in public places like restaurants, gas stations, down the street, you will draw lots of unwanted attention and possibly even panic. You cannot be charged with a crime for open carrying if you are licensed to do so, but you can and will be charged with other things like "disturbing the peace" "terroristic threats" etc.

Check out some open carry websites like opencarry.org or youtube videos, people videotape their open carrying in states like NH, OH, etc. and in certain towns even though perfectly legal they are often thrown to the ground, searched, hassled, and even brought down to the station on various other charges by PDs who "don't want that sort of thing in their town"

So, if you have an NJ ccw, walk in a supermarket openly carrying, they can charge you with disturbing the peace or making terroristic threats? I would like to be that person being charged. I would be sooo freakin rich after that discrimination lawsuit.

So, if you have an NJ ccw, walk in a supermarket openly carrying, they can charge you with disturbing the peace or making terroristic threats? I would like to be that person being charged. I would be sooo freakin rich after that discrimination lawsuit.

Plenty of videos on that stuff. Here's a good one, this one was even in a supermarket:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/88892207.html

Here's another:

Many gun owners fear that Ohio's open carry requirements in a car are going to get someone killed one day. Just last week, another incident played out that demonstrates just how dangerous the mindset of "man with a gun equals criminal" could be for law abiding gun owners.

Recently, a concealed handgun license holder was pulled over in Oregon, Ohio (near Toledo) after leaving a gas station. After a "man with a gun!" 911 call from a passing motorist, he was ordered out of his vehicle by police conducting a "felony traffic stop". He eventually had to crawl out of his window (his doors were locked and he was ordered to keep his hands in sight, rendering it impossible to unlock them), and was ordered to the ground while being held at gunpoint. His crime? Carrying a gun lawfully.

Can't find the link, but there was a good detailed story of it on thehighroad.org. They held him at gunpoint with rifles and harassed him for a while before eventually letting him go.

Sucks but that's how it goes in these kinds of areas for now. In a place like NJ I doubt any county, state, or possibly even federal circuit court would have much sympathy for you. Eh, maybe the federal court would.

There's a lot more hidden-camera videos of this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... carry&aq=f some of the police treatment of perfect lawful conduct is absolutely astonishing.

So then I should be OK with a shotgun in the trunk, unloaded, encased, with no specific range destination and be in possession of a valid FID and be in the clear...they way the law is written...

anyone want to comment on this?

i actually had this EXACT conversation with a certain knowledgeable LEO and he agrees that you CAN in fact carry a shotgun in the trunk unloaded for no specific reason..

i actually had this EXACT conversation with a certain knowledgeable LEO and he agrees that you CAN in fact carry a shotgun in the trunk unloaded for no specific reason..

Great. I hope you have that LEO in the trunk when another LEO finds it.

Great. I hope you have that LEO in the trunk when another LEO finds it.

while i understand and appreciate what you are saying.. but i fail to see what anyone could have done to them when following the law to the letter.. i do not practice this sort of carry.. but would not hesitate to transport a long gun in this manor as the law appears to allow it.. it is extra caution that needs to be taken when transporting handguns.. again per NJ LAW.. not opinion..

The section of the law that allows a hangun permit carrier to possess a handgun is almost word-for-word repeated allowing a FID carrier to possess a longarm; though an additional clause restricts that to unloaded longarms

"Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime..."

"Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime... Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime..."

Look guys, you live in NJ. I'm sorry to break it to you.

I'm sure you can come up with clever interpretations of some laws that would allow for useless carry, like having an unloaded long gun in the back of your car as if it's somehow going to be useful for self defense should you need it.

But I would almost put money down that your clever attempts to carry would put you in a world of shit if you ever encountered an LEO.

I think you should either work towards changing things here so that it could be properly done, or work towards moving somewhere that you can.

Damagedworld, you said you don't have any idea what someone could have done to them if they are following the letter of the law? Well. Here's an example, this guy is sitting in a jail cell for a month now, being held without bail. The state has 0 charges against him at the moment. Presumably, he is being held until they can find something, anything, to charge him with.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w142.html

I wasn't (seriously) planning on wandering around with an unloaded SUB2K in a backpack (though I may have joked about it once or twice). But it would appear that stopping off in the drive through for a big mac on the way home might be safe...

it might be safe to bring your shotgun EVERYWHERE you go provided you transport it legally.. as there are no laws stating otherwise.. while the government MAY wish to prosecute you.. while they may WISH there were laws.. there simply are not...

I wasn't (seriously) planning on wandering around with an unloaded SUB2K in a backpack (though I may have joked about it once or twice). But it would appear that stopping off in the drive through for a big mac on the way home might be safe...

it might be safe to bring your shotgun EVERYWHERE you go provided you transport it legally.. as there are no laws stating otherwise.. while the government MAY wish to prosecute you.. while they may WISH there were laws.. there simply are not...

They have all the laws they need to arrest, temporarily detain, humiliate, and cost you tons of money in legal fees defending against frivolous charges. Mr Girard didn't break a single law and he's been in a jail cell for a month.

They have all the laws they need to arrest, temporarily detain, humiliate, and cost you tons of money in legal fees defending against frivolous charges. Mr Girard didn't break a single law and he's been in a jail cell for a month.

well maybe his neighborhood is different... but HERE I don't think that you can turn a third story of your house into a shooting range.. and i further dont think you can legally have ANY type of grenade... I am no lawyer but it DOES appear the state has a case in this instance.. while i LOVE guns... while I further believe there IS a possibility for our society to slip into civil unrest.. while I even own a bullet proof vest... i DO NOT discharge my firearms in residential areas.. certainly not in my home.. can you HONESTLY say that you believe no laws have been violated here?