DirtyDigz

Any gunsmiths or machinists with a lathe out there?

So it looks like I'm going to have to modify the piston shaft in my Adams Arms piston kit for my AR in order for it to work with the Daniel Defense rail and have the recommended clearance between the end of the shaft and the gas block.

I need to take 0.020" off a hardened steel rod (the piston shaft). The shaft is 0.17" in diameter at the end where the metal needs to be removed, 0.250" in diameter at the mid point of the shaft and 0.425" at the opposite end. Shaft is ~11 1/8" in overall length.

Good job!

Hardened steel is hard to cut on a lathe anyway. If it is a long rod, I may have pushed it off center instead of cutting it. .020 (.010 deep cut) is also sometime difficult. Grinding was the way to go. I successfully ground a precision angle on a collet using a lathe and a Dremel sanding drum as a counter-rotating tool.

No, I am not a real machinist but I like to pretend I am.

Good job!

Hardened steel is hard to cut on a lathe anyway. If it is a long rod, I may have pushed it off center instead of cutting it. .020 (.010 deep cut) is also sometime difficult. Grinding was the way to go. I successfully ground a precision angle on a collet using a lathe and a Dremel sanding drum as a counter-rotating tool.

No, I am not a real machinist but I like to pretend I am.

But you are correct. Hardened steel does not machine well. It's much easier to abrasively cut it. A surface grinder with a rotating collet holder would be ideal for extreme precision.

tell me about his shop ? I'm in Lake Hopatcong

I went there yesterday to drop off a rifle for minor work. The shop is in his house in a separate area. Its in a residential street. Drove by it three times before I saw it. No big sign outside that screams gun shop.

Real nice guy with lots and lots of rifle experience. Talked to him for about 40 minutes about rifles in general and what needed to be done on mine of course. This is the first time I'm using him. Will let you know how it goes.

tell me about his shop ? I'm in Lake Hopatcong
Bob White is a pretty cool guy as far as "benchrest" shooters go... He is in the "benchrest hall of fame" and is renowned internationally. (his wife complains about getting calls in the middle of the night from Austrailia)...LOL Bob get's good prices for his stuff but, does stuff nobody else does with a precision that not many can attain. Great guy and even if you don't have a reason to do business with him, he's a great guy to know.