theRU

Springfield- 1911 mil spec .45

Anyone have one? How do you like it?

I have handled and shot them before. They are nice guns. The only thing I don't like are the sights. They have the original GI blade v-notch rear sights. I don't think that they are easily swapped out either. It is not a normal dovetail notch in the slide. I would rather get the next model up for a little more money.

Anyone have one? How do you like it?

I have handled and shot them before. They are nice guns. The only thing I don't like are the sights. They have the original GI blade v-notch rear sights. I don't think that they are easily swapped out either. It is not a normal dovetail notch in the slide. I would rather get the next model up for a little more money.

which is the next model up? i'm talking about the PB9108LP. Thanks for the insight.

Take a look at the "Loaded" models. If you like a rail on your gun, check out the "Operator" models. I had a stainless Springfield Loaded in 9mm. It was a really nice gun, but was a jam-o-matic unless you used a specific ammunition. I hear the 45ACP models are far less finicky.

I have a Springfield parkerized GI model for over 20 years, only had one problem with a pin breaking. It shoots everything I feed it without issues. As Lunker stated the sights are not great (non adjustable, small), but they get the job done.

Jimmy

It makes for a nice base gun. I had mine customized but still kept it retro looking. Had an Ed Brown thumb safety installed, Changed the ignition parts, fit a Kart Match barrel and bushing, installed Yost retro 1911 sights, and had an action job done. With $700 in parts and labor its a great shooter for me :D

its called the GI 45. the finish and sites are that way on purpose.....its supposed to be a copy of the original army issue gun.....WITH the shitty sites and all. if you want a nicer 45, theres no use in buying a GI in the first place. thats like specifically buying a cargo van, then adding seats in it afterwards.

If you want something with better sights at the same price, try the ParaUSA GI Expert. Doesn't have any bells or whistles but it's realiable and has nice big 3-dot sights.

You can't go wrong with the Springfield mil-spec 1911... I was considering that when I couldn't find a PARA GI Expert. I was told by my local gun store when I was doing my shopping that the Expert was back ordered and that they did not know when they can get it in.

After some research and checking 1911-dedicated forums, I ended up getting an RIA Tactical 1911. Excellent value and the customer service is way better than some more popular manufacturers. There's also an RIA GI version that goes for under $400 bucks.

If you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait for the Remington 1911. US made and from the pics that came out recently, it looks good too.

My two cents. ;)