autoxnyc

Finally got my first AK Variant

Got it from Henderson Defense. Milled receiver made NJ compliant. 30rd mags permanently blocked to 15.

I put 120rds of Brown Bear through her last weekend and the G2 trigger feels really nice 8-) . windage is right on but shoots a little bit high for me. Anyone know if the front post is adjustable like the ARs?

It also came from century without a cleaning rod. Do they sell those at gun shows?

firearms-002.jpg

Nice rifle.

Yeah, you should be able to find a cleaning rod at a gun show.

The front sight post is adjustable for both windage and elevation. To adjust for elevation you need the front sight adjustment tool, it clicks into the post like a screwdriver and screws it in and out. To adjust for windage the little drum inside the sight block that the post screws into can be drifted right or left. The tool for that looks like a clamp.

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Front-Sigh ... B001M5TSBO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B9 ... DWMSAADZHH

Also just to let you know, if you ever decide to change stocks or anything, remember you have a milled receiver not a stamped one.

NJgunowner86, thanks very much for the info!

maksim, I was shooting 50yards. Shot about 4 - 5 inches high with center hold sight picture and rear sight adjusted to 100yrds. I assume 7.62x39 shoots flatter than that so it shouldn't shoot this much higher @50yards with 100yd zero.

The rear sight has a "S" distance mark behind the 1 (100) mark. the leaf goes higher than 100 meter mark when placed on "S". Does anyone know what that is for? Battle sight setting?

thanks,

Daniel

NJgunowner86, thanks very much for the info!

maksim, I was shooting 50yards. Shot about 4 - 5 inches high with center hold sight picture and rear sight adjusted to 100yrds. I assume 7.62x39 shoots flatter than that so it shouldn't shoot this much higher @50yards with 100yd zero.

The rear sight has a "S" distance mark behind the 1 (100) mark. the leaf goes higher than 100 meter mark when placed on "S". Does anyone know what that is for? Battle sight setting?

thanks,

Daniel

Yes, battle sight setting. If you zero it at 25 meters on battle sight, you'll stay on a silhouette from 25-300 meters with it.

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/sightin.htm

That thing looks real sweet. She's on my list, but I'm afraid of New Jersey and buying one here.

This is NJ legal. Just have to be smart about it and shoot it at a friendly range where you won't get bothered by an ignorant LEO. I shoot it in PA and probably will try to shoot it as little as possible in any NJ ranges.

That thing looks real sweet. She's on my list, but I'm afraid of New Jersey and buying one here.

i shoot all my evil black guns at a county run range and have NEVER had issue.. I only buy firearms that i KNOW are CLEARLY legal..

is it an AK?

NO

is it substantially identical as defined by NJ law?

NO

then you are fine.. irregardless of what any snooping range officer or LEO says..

This is NJ legal. Just have to be smart about it and shoot it at a friendly range where you won't get bothered by an ignorant LEO. I shoot it in PA and probably will try to shoot it as little as possible in any NJ ranges.

If it's legal then why do I have "to be smart about it"? That's why I won't buy one unless I'm not in New Jersey.

If it's legal then why do I have "to be smart about it"? That's why I won't buy one unless I'm not in New Jersey.

I'm curious what makes this gun not substantially identical? Just because the name is different and doesn't have the evil features? The Mag limit and no evils?

Just for giggles, I put two side by side.

This is not a loaded question. I don't know the answer.

Because there are a lot of LEO out there doesn't know the legality of it. If someone goes around claiming it's a AK-47 then it'll likely bring him unnecessary issues. Sure it's legal but you don't want to be speeding down the highway and get pulled over and get arrested for it and then prove that it's legal in court. That's what I meant.

The receiver and a lot of other parts are built in the US. I believe the holes for the FCG and FCG itself are substantially different it cannot be easily made full auto. The brake is permanently attached and there are no bayonet lugs.

It's just like how we can legally own the evil "black rifle" in NJ when it's configured properly. Take a NJ legal AR and it looks no different from a full auto military M4 or M16 from first look.

I'm curious what makes this gun not substantially identical? Just because the name is different and doesn't have the evil features? The Mag limit and no evils?

Just for giggles, I put two side by side.

This is not a loaded question. I don't know the answer.

how bad are they checking these guns at the ranges, i mean do they really go into it with a microscope? like lets say you have foreign wood, so your not 100% 922 compliant with all the parts? i would not want to take any chances but im just curious.

how bad are they checking these guns at the ranges, i mean do they really go into it with a microscope? like lets say you have foreign wood, so your not 100% 922 compliant with all the parts? i would not want to take any chances but im just curious.

I have heard of people getting busted for 922r violations so I personally have always made sure to be careful. It seems however that most people who get the 'assault weapon' charges in general are usually being charged with 15 other violations as well so I have to guess that they're throwing as much as possible at you to get you to plea and lose all of your stuff. Why not toss 922 on top of the rest of the charges if they think they can?

992 compliance is simple to achieve and it is additional piece of mind..

want to never be wrong? keep the gun legal.. with that even if someone gets pissy over it at the end of the day you still win because the gun IS NJ LEGAL as the law defines..

I hear what everyone here is saying, however what scares me is that the "Assault Weapon" ban list does not state AK-47, AK-74 ect. I states "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms". Who could tell what that actually includes. Could any AK variant be considered an AK type firearm? The full-auto argument in my mind is out the window, because it clearly states semi-automatic.

I hear what everyone here is saying, however what scares me is that the "Assault Weapon" ban list does not state AK-47, AK-74 ect. I states "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms". Who could tell what that actually includes. Could any AK variant be considered an AK type firearm? The full-auto argument in my mind is out the window, because it clearly states semi-automatic.

they cant say AK47 on them here .

that is my understanding of the situation..

pretty straight forward.. NO AK type weapons..

meaning anything with an AK name.. weapons in NJ are banned by NAME.. this is important because that means anything in the list will be a NAME reference..

all illegal... AK-74 AK-101 AK-47

and so on.. if it has AK action it can not be substantially identical as defined by NJ law..

This what i mean, cops in my town aren"t gun friendly. If i roll up to the range with that and the po-po is watchin, then Im getting a pair of bracelets on my wrists!

meaning anything with an AK name.. weapons in NJ are banned by NAME.. this is important because that means anything in the list will be a NAME reference..

and so on.. if it has AK action it can not be substantially identical as defined by NJ law..

I see so any variant that has an AK name is considered an AK type weapon. One last thing that still puzzles me is that to my (although limited I must admit) knowledge there are no semi-automatic AKs. They are all fully-automatic or selective fire which would still be considered fully-automatic.

I see so any variant that has an AK name is considered an AK type weapon. One last thing that still puzzles me is that to my (although limited I must admit) knowledge there are no semi-automatic AKs. They are all fully-automatic or selective fire which would still be considered fully-automatic.

dont know.. i see semi automatic "ak" variants for sale on gun broker pretty often..

dont know.. i see semi automatic "ak" variants for sale on gun broker pretty often..

There are only a relative handful of firearms in the entire USA that are actual full auto AKs. Most of the semi auto "AKs" you see on gunbroker are one of the many, many "sporter" ones imported and the receivers will say MAK-90, MAADI, SLR, M70, etc. and all of the US built ones by companies like Lancaster, Century, etc. are all made from Soviet parts kits on USA made receivers like the NoDak SPUD and such. Most of these guns will be a various names like NDS-3 or MAADI on a 4473.

A lot of these "AK"s you see on gunbroker do not even say AK on them at all and are just advertised that way. It is pretty uncommon, especially these days, to find a semi auto AK that says AK anywhere on it. Even some of the very early import ones, before various import laws were passed, as well as actual weapons, even say AK anywhere on it - ie Type 56, AMD 65, etc.

It just shows the stupidity of these laws really. But, at least we can be happy we're not in Connecticut I guess.