Sign in to follow this  
Genewarper111

State Police now recording sales of rifle ammunition

Hi everyone

as recently as yesterday, firearms retailers are being provided with information on a single-shot, breakopen action handgun that is available chambered in six or seven common rifle loads, including but not limited to:

.223, .308, 30.06 (sorry can't remember the others)

in other words, through this mechanism the State Police are now requiring the recording of pretty much all centre and rimfire ammunition, against an FPID number.

I'm interested in your comments.

Best

G

Well. I can only report what I observed and was told. The guys at Cheyenne Mountain were very apologetic. They showed me the info from the State Police, all freshly highlighted, and told me they had received the information very recently. In fact, when I bought 223 there two weeks ago, it definitely wasn't recorded. I got the impression that this was a new programme being rolled out by the SP, but I agree that it could be an internal initiative by Cheyenne. However, they were adamant that this had been recently imposed.

G

Great, Lardass Christie is letting the NJSP & AG make stuff up as they go along. Whilst he makes all kinds of noises elsewhere to distract the rubes. Watch, I predicted this awhile back, and I state again, soon there will be no more online ammo sales at all to NJ.

I'm interested in your comments.

Are you sure? :)

Thats insane. l like walking around Dicks with a few boxes of 308 amazing the looks some people give.

Sorry dude, this is probably the most sad thing I have ever read on this forum. It really puts shit in perspective.

So, I guess you open carry your ammo boxes? I have a gun on my hip in Dicks.

am I sure?? well. um.. let me think.. yes.

I called Cheyenne today- the chap I spoke to said that it had been around for about a year and now they were 'having' to enforce it. Yes, that all sounds a bit confused. However it is what it is - Cheyenne are now recording all ammo for rifles on the basis that it fits one handgun. The question is how many others will end up doing the same?

best

G

am I sure?? well. um.. let me think.. yes.

I called Cheyenne today- the chap I spoke to said that it had been around for about a year and now they were 'having' to enforce it. Yes, that all sounds a bit confused. However it is what it is - Cheyenne are now recording all ammo for rifles on the basis that it fits one handgun. The question is how many others will end up doing the same?

best

G

Have they been recording .22LR ?

I purchased ammo at Cheyenne on last Thursday, the 20th. They, indeed, asked me and another person that was there picking up some ammo, for FID. I'm going to pick up some ammo tomorrow, locally. I'll report back after the holiday. I figure either it's being phased in state-wide or Cheyenne's lawyers are mitigating risks against potential law suites.

^^^. Yes. Indeed. I'm pretty sure that current legislation defines "handgun ammunition" as being "specifically" designed to be used "only" in a handgun. Somehow this has been transformed/accepted/interpreted/distorted (choose your preferred....) to mean "any ammunition that CAN be used in a handgun.

My real problem with all of this frankly isn't that there should be no regulation of firearms at all. It's that by the kind of domineering over-zealous hyper legislative effort coupled with heavy handed over enforcement we have in NJ, it actively encourages otherwise law abiding people to look for means to circumvent the law, and in so doing, creates a feeling of contempt for the law and law enforcement generally. In any civilised society, this is not a good thing.

Ok so in the scheme of things is it really so bad to have to sign for ammo that you buy legally and use legally? On the face of it, no. But what happens when someone asks why you bought 308 when you haven't legally bought a 308 rifle through the NJ system? Are they then going to accuse you of a "straw purchase" when all you're doing is sharing the cost of having some fun with your buddy's Remington at Dix?? Here in NJ I'd be inclined to think that they might.

These laws are going beyond the point of being effective and that's the real problem I think.

Have a good weekend everyone

Best

G

Disposition of all handgun and hollowpoint ammunition (even if for rifle) is recorded in the dealer's A&D Ammo Book. That is a separate statute from requiring a FPID or P2P for the purchase.

The key phrase "specifically designed". Why was it not written as:

• Like 1

Anyone know what stores do this?

Dicks?

I think that if a bunch of us go to these stores ask for a couple of hundred dollars worth of ammo and then walk away when they break out the book, they might start to get a message.

Not saying to do anything against the law just against "Corporate" policy.

Anyone know what stores do this?

Dicks?

I think that if a bunch of us go to these stores ask for a couple of hundred dollars worth of ammo and then walk away when they break out the book, they might start to get a message.

Not saying to do anything against the law just against "Corporate" policy.

They won't give a crap. They'll probably think it was a "straw purchase." I've never heard of a straw purchase of ammo before, but I've never heard of people getting looks for having boxes of ammo in a shopping cart in a sporting goods store either. So, by extension, it makes sense.

for what its worth Zeus in the egg harbor township area (south jersey) has recorded rifle ammunition at times sighting that it was also handgun ammunition.. while they are pretty nice there, they are not the most up on whats going on.. so who knows...

I don't remember ever buying rifle ammo at dicks, but I know they record "anything with a solid projectile".. ie, for some reason, I didn't have my FPID card on me, and I was able to buy bird shot and buck shot, but not slugs.

I know they also record .22LR.

I bought a box of 30/30 softpoints over the weekend from a small dealer, and don't recall him putting it in the book, he had my info from a separate transaction though. So idk.