Guest HuntingPaper

Lee Pro 1000

Does anybody uses this press? I would like to know your opinions about it. Thank you!

Personally I like it and have no problems using it.

Like anything else it must be set up correctly, it is not rocker science to do this correctly.

Here is another place where you can find good information on just your questions.... good people here too.

Lot od good info to answer any of your questions....

http://manual.loadmastervideos.com/

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/index.php

Its the biggest POS in the whole wide world.

I love the lee classic turret. Picked up the lee pro on clearence, and while it is progressive, too many slow downs.

the priming system sucks, goes out of sync quite often.

If you want, I have one for sale, $75.

Its the biggest POS in the whole wide world.

I love the lee classic turret. Picked up the lee pro on clearence, and while it is progressive, too many slow downs.

the priming system sucks, goes out of sync quite often.

If you want, I have one for sale, $75.

Thanks for the heads up and the offer. Since I'm trying to figure out which will be the best solution for the absolute beginner (Me) to reload 9mm and 45 ACP I would appreciate your suggestions.

the lee pro 1000 is absolutely a terrible idea for a beginner.

The Lee Classic Turret, not the regular Lee Turret, is a terrific press. Even though the pro 1000 is supposed to be faster, I still knock out 150 rounds of 9mm or 45 in an hour, at a comfortable pace.

As long as you can afford it, I wouldn't own anything but a Dillon. With proper set-up, having primer tubes ready, cases ready, bullets ready, you can do about 400-500 rounds an/hour with a 550B. Set-up and change over is easy and breakdowns are minimal. I have about 15000 rounds through mine and I'm happy. But even a 550B ends up being several times the price of the competition.

As long as you can afford it, I wouldn't own anything but a Dillon. With proper set-up, having primer tubes ready, cases ready, bullets ready, you can do about 400-500 rounds an/hour with a 550B. Set-up and change over is easy and breakdowns are minimal. I have about 15000 rounds through mine and I'm happy. But even a 550B ends up being several times the price of the competition.

I really like my Dillon press, and you can't beat their customer service. If something breaks, Dillon replaces it for free. The only thing I have moved away from Dillon products on is their dies. I found that their crimp die still left base bulges on my 357 and 10mm pistol brass. I switched to Lee dies (specifically thier factory crimp die) and have been happy with the results.

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit that I got on sale at Cabela's. I've had it about a year and it works great. It's only single stage so it's not as fast as a progressive press. It's built like a tank and is good to learn on. I can load about 100 in an hour with primed cases. It's best to have all the cases primed and ready to load to save time. I keep bags of primed cases on hand. Eventually, I'll probably get a progressive press but I'll still use this for test loads or rifle rounds.

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit that I got on sale at Cabela's. I've had it about a year and it works great. It's only single stage so it's not as fast as a progressive press. It's built like a tank and is good to learn on. I can load about 100 in an hour with primed cases. It's best to have all the cases primed and ready to load to save time. I keep bags of primed cases on hand. Eventually, I'll probably get a progressive press but I'll still use this for test loads or rifle rounds.

Rick- The Rockchucker is the Cadilac of sigle stage presses. An "O" type press. Super accurate NO FLEX!!

Thank you for all your comments. I'm still a bit lost on what to get. I've decided to start by making an appropriate space on my basement and build a press bench while I finish the book that I bought, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (any comments?)

In regards of equipment the big question is single or progressive. I probably would like to reload 3k cases per month.

Thank you for all your comments. I'm still a bit lost on what to get. I've decided to start by making an appropriate space on my basement and build a press bench while I finish the book that I bought, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (any comments?)

In regards of equipment the big question is single or progressive. I probably would like to reload 3k cases per month.

If you can afford it, you'll never regret buying a quality progressive press. I can get home from work and knock out 100 rounds of my favorite pistol ammo in 1/2 hour before heading to the range (heavy or precision loads and rifle loads require more time and care).

3000 rounds / month is a reasonable amount and warrants a progressive press. That being said, learning to reload on a single stage press gives you a better understanding of the process initially. And, you can do 3000/month on a sigle stage you just have to be organized. One night all sizing and priming, maybe 3-500 and next powder and seating. If you're doing rifle throw in a trimming night. How many calibers do you expect to load? Each caliber change equals more money and it's more pricey to do calliber changes on a progressive. Just my thoughts...

I would like to start reloading 9mm and 45ACP for now and .233rem later.

I would like to start reloading 9mm and 45ACP for now and .233rem later.

With 9mm so cheap NIB does it really make sense to reload that caliber?

45acp - I'm right with you...

9mm reloads cost me $.13 ea or $6.50 / 50 they're not Wolf steel and 115gr fmj @1150fps. Now you can't but good 9mm for $130 / 1000.

45acp cost depends on what you want. 200gr lead swc are $.125 or $6.25 / 50 230gr fmj $.18 ea.

I loaded 15000 rds of 9mm last year so the savings were significant.

The Lee manual is good if you are using Lee equipment. The load info is so so. I always recommend the Lyman #49 as a first read. Very comprehensive and has great load info for cast and FMJ bullets. Followed by Speer #14 and then Sierra #5 if you want to load rifle rounds.

I stay away from Lee equipment except the Lee Classic Turret. The LCT is a great press to learn on as a single stage option and will be faster when you get going on it.

I stay away from Lee equipment except the Lee Classic Turret. The LCT is a great press to learn on as a single stage option and will be faster when you get going on it.

Tim,

Any reason to avoid their rifle Dies? I have some factory crimp dies for 9mm and 10mm and like them so far.

Tim,

Any reason to avoid their rifle Dies? I have some factory crimp dies for 9mm and 10mm and like them so far.

No, the FCD dies are good. I have never had a use for them, but I know a few people who have. Maks swears by their rifle dies. I am partial to Dillon and RCBS, though Joe's Hornady is pretty impressive.

I probably would've tried the Dillon rifle dies since I like their pistol dies, but they only make them in three calibers (223, 30-06, and 308). I thought that was weird, considering how many dies they have for pistol.