sparny524

I am an IDIOT

This sucks. I got back from the range today and began my pistol cleaning. But oh this time was different, instead of completely disassembling my SIG P226 at my work bench, I walked to my kitchen to get a drink with the pistol (slide locked back, disassembly lever down) and for some reason that I still don't know (other than my idiocy) I actuated the slide release without thinking on my way back to the work bench. FLING, CRASH, BANG. Slide comes off the pistol and hits the tile. My first concern/thought was "Oh crap, I cracked the tile" but to my surpise.. no crack to be found. After a quick visual inspection of the slide/barrel I surmised all was well. Cleaned the pistol and went to put it all together but THE SLIDE WILL NOT FIT THE FRAME! After sitting there trying to fit it on and cursing under my breath I came to the conclusion that the slide bent in diagonally just enough to not fit anymore. To be honest I don't even know where the damage is on the slide because visually it is ok but the darn thing won't fit. Now the question is... what should my course of action be. Gunsmith.... Contacting SIG..... or just trying to buy a new slide (is this possible). So if you can, put yourself in my shoes and drop a word of advice. This really sucks :oops:

You can buy a slide for $370 here: http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226/

Check Sigforum.com and ask the guys there. I remember someone there did the same thing. The slide landed on the rear corner and ben the rail slightly and it won't go back onto the frame. I don't recall exactly what happened but I think he sent it back to Sig to have it fixed.

I would send it back to Sig Sauer. You can get an exchange kit and sell off the parts to recover some of the cost but caliber changes are not available now unless they are privately sold.

Just an update on the situation here... I called SIG customer service yesterday morning and talked to a very nice gentleman named Scott. He gave me his email address and told me to forward pictures of the slide and he'll have a gunsmith look and see what he (gunsmith) thinks. Checked my email today and there was a Next-Day Air shipping slip and a promise of having it back within 3 weeks. +1 for the good folks at SIG and +1 to Ted (Junkmanted) for offering to take a look at it.