EngineerJet

Got a new toy =) and my pre-shoot review

So I took the plunge and got me an ACR.

I have not shot it yet so here is my pre-shoot review based on my experience so far.

Ergonomics:

I love this thing. The all ambi at your finger tips controls are great. The charging handle can even be flipped around on each side (angled up vs angled down) for a total of 4 different positions. The bolt catch/release was a little stiff at first but now is nice and crisp. The charging handle acts as a forward assist. When the charging handle is in the forward most position a latch disengages the bolt and allows for the non-reciprocating handle during firing. When the handle is pulled back a latch drops down onto the bolt and will not release until it is in the forward position again, which is neat because if you need the forward assist, just shove your charging handle forward. The grip is decent but I'm too used to the magpul grips. I see potential for future improvement(aftermarket)

Dis-assembly: The pins are rock tight and definitely needs a tool of sorts (the dummyl 223 round seems good for this). They may loosen up in the future but as for now, a quick tooless field strip is tough. The barrel ratchet is a good design, however on my particular gun the tolerance was very slightly off. When my barrel nut/ratchet is tightened all the way there was still a very minor wiggle in the barrel. Now normally I would send this back to the manufacturer however since I have a pinned muzzle brake, there would be no way for them to take the gas/piston block off to put a spacer on there so I just fashioned my own spacer and now it ratchets on tight as ever.

Caliber change: For those who don't already know, the serial number is on the UPPER. Thats right. This means when they come out with the lower receivers for 7.62x39, you don't need to go through an FFL for the lower.

Weight: This thing is a heavy mofo. I think it weighed in around nine pounds and some change. This is the one downside of this gun and I hope this could be addressed in the future (light weight barrels).

Price: Now I'm sure people will chime in about the price so let me address this. Something is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. I got this for $2200 so I am happy with it. Personally I am impulsive, and if I had waited another six months or so I am confident the price will continue to come down. My guess is it will settle around the 1700 mark for the basic (some places are already selling them for 1900 but were sold out). Be that as it may, I think in the end it will be worth it because what other gun can you change calibers and barrel lengths with such ease? Is it worth $2200 right now? Thats up to you. Seeing as I paid 2200 for an LWRC, an ACR for the same range was acceptable to me, but it may not be for you. My guess is, it is the aftermarket that will determine if this gun thrives. This gun was designed to be modular so if people start coming out with aftermarket stocks/folders,lowers with different grip designs, handguards, then this gun may have a stong future.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg