Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

CMP Vintage match 6-20 Central Jersey

Hope all had a great fathers day. Just wanted to share about the match I shot today.

My first CMP match, and wow. Talk about an experience, and a grueling experience to shoot in 90 degree humid weather.

all the people at Central Jersey were very helpful. Some of the nicest folks I have met. Plenty of loaner equipment avail, and all events are open to the public.

As someone who shoots mostly with scopes, this was a completely different event. Everyone but myself were using M1 Garands with peep sights, I decided to use my new to me Swedish Mauser Model 38 with open irons.

i think I did ok for first time shooting at 200 yards/meters? with a bolt off of a sling, scored in the high 250's. But i dont think it was too bad for first time shooting a rifle match with a new rifle, for the first time. lol.

Started using the shooting jacket, but was just toooo hot, so just used it on the last round, slow fire standing.

will definitely be back again.

holy crap..... i am in soooooo much pain. lol.

I thought I was in pretty good shape anyway from working out and swimming, but damn, the last standing slow fire killed me. My whole lower back, where you pivot and shift your back is super SORE.

But still very very very much worth it.

holy crap..... i am in soooooo much pain. lol.

I thought I was in pretty good shape anyway from working out and swimming, but damn, the last standing slow fire killed me. My whole lower back, where you pivot and shift your back is super SORE.

But still very very very much worth it.

WHIMP

Hey Maksim,

I was guy with the AR next to you. I wasn't submitting my scorecard, as AR's aren't eligible for the CMP. I was there for the practise and to accompany my previously non-shooting friends who have since become hooked on CMP.

You're right - it was a damn hot day! We had to stop off at Al's BBQ on the way home to have a rib and brisket recovery.

That's a beautiful looking Mauser you had there!

Cheers,

Leth

Hey Maksim,

I was guy with the AR next to you. I wasn't submitting my scorecard, as AR's aren't eligible for the CMP. I was there for the practise and to accompany my previously non-shooting friends who have since become hooked on CMP.

You're right - it was a damn hot day! We had to stop off at Al's BBQ on the way home to have a rib and brisket recovery.

That's a beautiful looking Mauser you had there!

Cheers,

Leth

Was a pleasure to meet another forum member. =)

Was a nice looking AR. I was wondering wtf, he has an AR. that is cheating. =P lol.

You do not need to be a member of CJRPC to participate. Just show up day of the event.

It is for Garands, M1's, 1903's, etc, however foreign vintage military are allowed.

I would be tempted to try an SKS, however something with peep sights is a winner here.

All shooting at 200 yards, no optics.

You do not need to be a member of CJRPC to participate. Just show up day of the event.

It is for Garands, M1's, 1903's, etc, however foreign vintage military are allowed.

I would be tempted to try an SKS, however something with peep sights is a winner here.

All shooting at 200 yards, no optics.

Maybe I could show up with the SKS for the next match, MUHAHAHA

No problem with an Enfield... Mad minute with 10 rounds in the mags. Or 12 if using the Ishapore 308 Enfield :lol:

10 rounds in 60 seconds does sound really difficult especially at 200 yards. You're right, having peep sight definitely will help lots. Those little black dots are hard to see with iron sights that far away.

btw, if you are shooting a bolt action.... HAVE STRIPPER CLIPS for the rapid fire portion. lol.

It is 10 rounds, in 60 seconds, so unless you got strippers, about half your time is wasted on reloading.

If someone does not want to be conventional... I would think some of the top ones would be...

1. Lee Enfield. Removable mag, fast, smooth action, and 10 round capacity. Means no reloading during the rapid fire stage.

2. SKS - Semi auto, if you can get 10 rounds in the mag with the strippers. Cons? Sights and accuracy? I dont know.

3. Swiss K31 - Straight pull, fairly quick action, removable mag. Cons? Cant seem to locate stripper clips for it. Otherwise would need a second magazine.

Whatever the rifle though, get it sighted in for 200 yards and be comfy with it. My first shot with the swede was at the cmp, so I did not know what to expect.

No problem with an Enfield... Mad minute with 10 rounds in the mags. Or 12 if using the Ishapore 308 Enfield :lol:

10 rounds in 60 seconds does sound really difficult especially at 200 yards. You're right, having peep sight definitely will help lots. Those little black dots are hard to see with iron sights that far away.

btw, if you are shooting a bolt action.... HAVE STRIPPER CLIPS for the rapid fire portion. lol.

It is 10 rounds, in 60 seconds, so unless you got strippers, about half your time is wasted on reloading.

The target itself is actually pretty big. Not that bad to see. It is a man sized target. see the pic above. The straight irons made it a tad more difficult though.

Removable mag on the Enfield is a moot point since it holds 10. Try removing one of these 'removable' mag and reinserting a loaded one =) Not so removable lol :lol: Will be faster reloading those with stripper clips.

Do they hold any matches that allows AR15 NM?

How many shooting positions are there? standing/prone and with slow and rapid fire?

thanks!

If someone does not want to be conventional... I would think some of the top ones would be...

1. Lee Enfield. Removable mag, fast, smooth action, and 10 round capacity. Means no reloading during the rapid fire stage.

2. SKS - Semi auto, if you can get 10 rounds in the mag with the strippers. Cons? Sights and accuracy? I dont know.

3. Swiss K31 - Straight pull, fairly quick action, removable mag. Cons? Cant seem to locate stripper clips for it. Otherwise would need a second magazine.

Whatever the rifle though, get it sighted in for 200 yards and be comfy with it. My first shot with the swede was at the cmp, so I did not know what to expect.

Check out central jersey's site.

They also have matches for Service rifle, which is stock ar's, and ak's. But the CMP vintage match is only Garands, and the like.

4 positions.

Prone slow fire. 20 mins 20 rounds, loaded one at a time.

prone rapid fire. 10 rounds 70 seconds, loaded mag or from clips

Sitting rapid fire 10 rounds 60 seconds, loaded mag or from clips.

Standing slow fire. 20 rounds 20 mins.

There are like 5 sighter shots in the start.

During rapid fire, you are required to reload at least once. so for an M1 fer instance, its either a 2 round clip & then a full en-bloc, or 2x5clips. Springers go 5+5, I would guess the K31 was 5+5 also. The target is a standard 200 yd-er,I have a couple, and use them on the GP range there, or the HP, the same stands. The club has M1 loaners in great shape for use if you don't have one. 2 rd clips to loan as well, plus the ammo for the entry fee. It does take awhile to get done completely, if there is a big crowd. Bring lunch!

Removable mag on the Enfield is a moot point since it holds 10. Try removing one of these 'removable' mag and reinserting a loaded one =) Not so removable lol :lol: Will be faster reloading those with stripper clips.

Do they hold any matches that allows AR15 NM?

How many shooting positions are there? standing/prone and with slow and rapid fire?

thanks!

They have an any rifle, any sight (including optics) comming up July 18th and Sept. 19th. It is a 300 yd. shoot. All slow fire. I will be at the Sept. 19th match.