sirsloop

Range 14 Sunday July 11th

They sell cardboard targets stapled to wood, $3 each. They have a target and this arab lookin dude with an AK47 :lol::lol:

You can shoot almost anything you want as long as its not plywood, glass, or metal. You can shoot steel at 200yds. Metal soda cans are ok... just nothing that could create a ricochet. You are responsible to pick up any shotgun cases, any remove any non-organic material from downrange. I left a few pieces of wood down there, but they come in handy for targets for other people. They lend out post hole diggers at no cost. The grounds are real sandy with short weeds. Its best to elevate stuff up off the ground to shoot at.

I'm a maybe right now. I have a family member with health issues so if something happens (well, something is happening right now), I most likely will not be able to make it..... either that, I may want to blow off some steam by blowing up stuff.

I'm also going to build some sort of simple stand made outta scrap wood to elevate my targets off the ground. Last time I brought TV trays and we shot them all to hell! HAHA! I figure some sorta 2x4 contraption should work well enough. I'll be shootin at soda cans filled with seltzer water... and some larger 3L jugs of water.

Guys, one of youz should call before going there on sunday because there was recently a fire in the woods immediately surrounding the range that burned down a majority of the scrub adjacent the range. It was so severe that on wednesday my buddy who lives nearby the area went to shoot some skeet there and they were closed entirely. He went back friday for a redoux and the clay ranges were still closed because of some power issues but the rifle ranges were back in business.

Anytime there is a fire in the impact area, ALL live firing is suspended at all the ranges, until the FD checks it out or it burns out. This happened twice recently, the fire you are talking about was nowhere near range 14, but that is SOP. Also at that time, the Dix and local FDs were probably stretched thin with bigger fires not too far away. Especially since things have been so dry lately, this will probably happen more often till the monsoons come.

Looks like I'll have three friends with me. They are new-ish shooters, shot at shoreshot a couple times with me. May be a good time to read over the rules I wrote up and sent them... or fwd it to anyone else you are bringing. This is not their complete set of rules, but its basically what you need to know. All of their rules are posted on the bench upright, and their RO can assist you with anything else on range/phone.

PLEASEEEE read the range rules below. There are tons of people there packing heat...so there is no room for error. http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Range Rules

1. Always follow the NRA safety rules (gun always in safe direction (downrange), finger off trigger until ready to fire, always treat the gun as if it's loaded, know your target and what is behind it)

2. Listen for Range Officer (RO) commands and immediately follow them (stop and unload the weapon immediately when cease fire is called).

3. During Red Flag - Shooter is to be no further forward than the post on the bench and must have the muzzle in front of the post when firing. (stand in line with the center of the bench)

4. Shooter must remove all non-perishable items from the range before leaving.

5. Shooter must collect shotgun casings, but may leave brass on the ground

6. All weapons must be unloaded with the action in an open position when set down on the bench (bolt back on shotty/rifle, slide locked back on pistol)

7. During green flag, NOTHING is to be touched on the bench. If you have a water bottle on there grab it before we put up green.

Target rules:

1. Minimum target distance 20 yards

2. No metal, glass, plywood targets

3. Steel targets may be placed at 200 yards

Typical shooting cycle:

1. Green Flag Raised, everyone standing behind the chain away from the bench

2. Range Officer (RO) calls all clear, shooters have 5-10 minutes to walk foward of the bench to setup targets

3. RO calls 2 minutes, shooters return to bench, raise red flag, stand behind chain

4. RO calls clear to fire

5. Shoot for 20-25 minutes

6. RO calls cease fire, return to 1.

We had a good time today. Tony (TJ Sporting Arms), me, Br@an, NJPilot, and SirSloop and his friends all made it to the range bright and early.

Thanks to SirSloop for getting there super early and putting us all to the head of the line. It took me about an hour to shake off the sun poisoning from being out there for three hours.

Hopefully JD can post some of his pics and videos soon.