Sign in to follow this  
e80hydro

Movie review - I am Legend

I liked the 60s version(The Last man on Earth) with Vincent Price better. George Romero(director of all the _of the dead_ movies) has stated in interviews that "The Last man on Earth" was the seed of all his movies. Romero stated that Last Man takes place after the world is gone and only flashes back to the process of going away. With Night of the living dead, he wanted to show the devolution from the beginning.

The 70s version of the movie, The Omega Man, with Charlton Heston is essentially what we all wish to have when the Zombie Apocalypse arrives. Food, generators and full automatic guns. What more could you want?

I am Legend, meh. I have a problem with bone structure alterations on the zombies. Introducing a virus does not make your jaw get bigger.

I liked the 60s version(The Last man on Earth) with Vincent Price better. George Romero(director of all the _of the dead_ movies) has stated in interviews that "The Last man on Earth" was the seed of all his movies. Romero stated that Last Man takes place after the world is gone and only flashes back to the process of going away. With Night of the living dead, he wanted to show the devolution from the beginning.

The 70s version of the movie, The Omega Man, with Charlton Heston is essentially what we all wish to have when the Zombie Apocalypse arrives. Food, generators and full automatic guns. What more could you want?

I am Legend, meh. I have a problem with bone structure alterations on the zombies. Introducing a virus does not make your jaw get bigger.

:lol::lol:

It does if it caused acute Acromegaly ;)

Naw, that's different. That's bones all over getting bigger. Nothing in nature can make your jaw dislocate and drop 8 inches.

It does if it caused acute Acromegaly ;)

Naw, that's different. That's bones all over getting bigger. Nothing in nature can make your jaw dislocate and drop 8 inches.

That's why it's a movie and not real life ;)

People can't fly and Beretta 92's can't shoot 50 rounds with no reloads either ;)

Hell, their aren't even any real zombies (yet) :)

That's why it's a movie and not real life ;)

People can't fly and Beretta 92's can't shoot 50 rounds with no reloads either ;)

Hell, their aren't even any real zombies (yet) :)

Good science fiction is good science. When a world is defined, the story must adhere to the rules of that world. The world of I Am Legend is our world. In our world, a virus doesn't make your jaw grow unnaturally.

By the same token, it's perfectly fine in a story to have floating unicorns that fart rainbows, if that's how the world has been defined. This is a _KEY_ element in all story telling. You give a set of rules by which the viewer(or reader) learns the nature of the story and the universe it takes place in. This allows there to be tension as conflicts have to resolved within the defined rule set. When a director in a movie violates the rules as the audience knows them, the audience gets annoyed, laughs or just dismisses the entire project as it breaks the spell. You can suspend disbelief as long as the rules are adhered to properly.

Here's an example. Suppose you're watching Braveheart, the battle seems lost, William Wallace is captured and headed for the executioner's table. Moments before the execution is about to take place, a Scottish army appears and demands his release. As the soldiers for the king start their advance, the Scottish uncover their Squad automatic weapons and mow down the entire English army while calling in some airstrikes with 2000lb Jdams on the king's castle. Silly, yes. The rules were violated. We know all those things are possible..SAWs and airstrikes...but they violated the rules of the story and it makes the whole premise fall apart.

This is why good science fiction is good and you can believe in movies like Alien or Aliens. It's plausible for us and sticks to the rules for the characters in the movie.

Good [science] fiction is not necessarily on the story, but on the individual's ability to "suspend one's disbelief." Of course it doesn't hurt if the story makes a bit more of sense, but for it to be appreciated is no fault of the story-- but of the audience.

As for I am Legend, and any work of fiction, to say that we couldn't imagine it not set in our world is a bit off track. Every bit of fiction, and more apparent in science fiction actually, is merely an imagined realm with very applicable-real-world concepts that we live daily... its in our nature to think this way, and, really, there is no other way it could be imagined (unless an Alien came down here and told us different-- but even then, our minds could only decipher, and ultimately translate, its meaning in to a manner we understand... ie. emotions, language, mathematics, etc).

As for Aliens, it falls under the slip stream genre more or less... though, I do agree its a fun movie/saga.

[Yes, I took a course on science fiction with a published SF writer :shifty: ]

Not to be a wise *** but isnt this just a tad bit late?

I never go to the movies, I'm too cheap to have HBO or rent or buy it on CD. I wait until movies come out on channel nine. Usually takes about 3-4 years before I see a new release. Channel nine rules, they play a lot of spookey stuff. ;)

Not to be a wise *** but isnt this just a tad bit late?

I never go to the movies, I'm too cheap to have HBO or rent or buy it on CD. I wait until movies come out on channel nine. Usually takes about 3-4 years before I see a new release. Channel nine rules, they play a lot of spookey stuff. ;)

torrents... thats all im going to say about that.