raceruss2003

M4 to 22 conversion

I have a Bushmaster M4 that I absolutley love to shoot. However, as we all know this can get pretty expensive, pretty quickly. I have seen the conversion drop-in kits but was wondering if there are many people that use them. As much as I like shooting my M4, it is a bit of a pain to clean and the 22 ammo always seems so dirty.

Is there anyone out there using one of these kits and what are your experiences?

Was also thinking about purchasing a 15-22 and would like to know how they are as far as cleaning.

M&P 15-22 is much easier to clean then an AR. I would go so far as to say it is the easiest semi to clean that I have seen. The other factor is the 5.56 is a .223 projectile so the bore of an AR is .001 to big for the 22LR. So if you purchase a conversion kit it will affect accuracy.

M&P 15-22 is much easier to clean then an AR. I would go so far as to say it is the easiest semi to clean that I have seen. The other factor is the 5.56 is a .223 projectile so the bore of an AR is .001 to big for the 22LR. So if you purchase a conversion kit it will affect accuracy.

Wolfy is correct about this. If you have a barrel with a quick twist rate (1:7, 1:8, 1:9), the 22LR round will have too fast a spin to shoot accurately (If you have an older M-16 style barrel or a varmint barrel with 1:12, you are good though). I bought the Spikes Tactical 22LR upper and it was excellent quality and accuracy (As a matter of fact, it's for sale in the Marketplace right now), although this upper costs about $100 more than the S&W MP22 that everyone loves. I like the Spike's because it can fit on any AR upper. I am selling because I figured out I like AKs much better than ARs.

Wolfy is correct about this. If you have a barrel with a quick twist rate (1:7, 1:8, 1:9), the 22LR round will have too fast a spin to shoot accurately (If you have an older M-16 style barrel or a varmint barrel with 1:12, you are good though). I bought the Spikes Tactical 22LR upper and it was excellent quality and accuracy (As a matter of fact, it's for sale in the Marketplace right now), although this upper costs about $100 more than the S&W MP22 that everyone loves. I like the Spike's because it can fit on any AR upper. I am selling because I figured out I like AKs much better than ARs.

Chris that is a subersive comment and unAmerican... :o

Ha, ha Frank! You can have your poodle shooter. :)

If I want a short/mid range semi-auto rifle, I have the AK. If I want a mid/long range semi-auto rifle, I'll play with my M1 Garand or (soon-to-be) M1A. The AR is a good compromise between the two, but I like a round with a little more thump.

Ha, ha Frank! You can have your poodle shooter. :)

If I want a short/mid range semi-auto rifle, I have the AK. If I want a mid/long range semi-auto rifle, I'll play with my M1 Garand or (soon-to-be) M1A. The AR is a good compromise between the two, but I like a round with a little more thump.

Chris- I can't disagree with you there (M1 rifle or M1A). Nothing like 30 cal. to reach out and touch some one...

Back on topic. The Spikes tactical 22lr upper Chris is selling is top quality. Chris is a respectable individual to deal with. Most of his guns are like new it's because he has a short attention span. ;)

Now that's an understatement.

Good info, thanks.

Back on topic. The Spikes tactical 22lr upper Chris is selling is top quality. Chris is a respectable individual to deal with. Most of his guns are like new it's because he has a short attention span. ;)

+1 I dont have anything left to trade him for it :-P I've shot it and it is a really nice gun.

I was shooting the cmmg stainless .22 conversion bolt today. I put 100 rounds through it with no problems. I was shooting at 50 yards without glass and my groups were a little sloppy. My gf's were better. For a red dot with a 1:9 twist barrel no too bad. I already sank money into an Eotech for the AR so I figured I'd get the drop in. I should have gone with a 10/22 and just put an inexpensive scope on it.