Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Walking from the range / shop to your car

I know how silly this question seems I just got thinking about it and am curious what the actual legality is behind it - say for example you just bought a new gun at the store and are walking with the gun cased, in a brown paper bag unlocked out to lock in the back of your car. wouldn't this technically be illegal transport from the door of the store to the trunk of your car, and couldn't conceivably a cop having a really bad day and a want to screw you over nab you on "walking down the street with an unlocked firearm"? Obviously even if this is true there is nothing you can do about it, just wondering if there is a caveat that makes this legal, or something.

I know how silly this question seems I just got thinking about it and am curious what the actual legality is behind it - say for example you just bought a new gun at the store and are walking with the gun cased, in a brown paper bag unlocked out to lock in the back of your car. wouldn't this technically be illegal transport from the door of the store to the trunk of your car, and couldn't conceivably a cop having a really bad day and a want to screw you over nab you on "walking down the street with an unlocked firearm"? Obviously even if this is true there is nothing you can do about it, just wondering if there is a caveat that makes this legal, or something.

Read the post he says the gun is cased but it was placed in a brown paper bag.

Read the post he says the gun is cased but it was placed in a brown paper bag.

I edited my post after the first response, it wasn't very clear

Put some packing tape on the case so you would have to cut it to open the case. That should fulfill the well tied package requirement. Alternatively you could run some tape around the paper bag a couple times so you don't have to get packing tape on your new fancy gun case. Just make it relatively secure.

Since when does a gun have to be locked?

I thought the only time the gun had to be locked was when it was stored within the driving compartment of a vehicle?

This is kind of what I was thinking too, but I can't imagine it would be legal just to take a stroll with an unlocked pistol case (to the range, of course)...

I don't remember seeing a law stating the firearm had to be in a locked case while transporting from a store/range to your car. I walk to my car all the time from the range with my guns unloaded in a pistol rug in an unlocked range bag. Once I get to the car, I lock my guns in the range bag with the ammo in a seperate container.

I've bought new guns and had them tape the box closed because I didn't have a lock with me.

transport laws cover how it has to be transported IN the car...

the law forbidding you from carrying a handgun (CCW), has exceptions built into it that cover interacting with the places where it is considered legal.. gunsmith, range, gun shop, etc..

you obviously can not drive your car through the walls of the gun shop, so it is only reasonable that you will at some point have to be outside the car with a gun.. you are carrying the gun unloaded and cased... that is not equivalent to CCW...

I know that you don't really think that its an issue and more just kind of discussing this.. but that is my take on the situation..

it does not have to be locked only hidden if you have a FID you can put it in a brown bag as long as it is not showing. put it in a sock who cares just keep it hidden and it is perfectly legal

it does not have to be locked only hidden if you have a FID you can put it in a brown bag as long as it is not showing. put it in a sock who cares just keep it hidden and it is perfectly legal

Not sure that is exactly the truth. Because I can holster a gun with an IWB and you won't know its their but that is definitely 100% illegal whether it's loaded or not. I actually think I could have a trigger guard on the gun and if it's still holstered its still illegal without a CCW permit.

only long guns. "TECHNICALLY" you can walk around with a shotgun or rifle unloaded in plain sight but since this is jersey they will try to find something to arrest you with it was in a different thread i cant remember the title we went over all of this

Call me crazy, but I don't think it matters if it is locked up or not. When the law states firearm dealer or gun range, I take that to mean not just the physical dwelling or range, but the property as a whole. So since the gun range and gun store own or at least have rights to the parking area, the walk to your car is no different than the walk from the counter to the door. That's my take on it anyway.

Call me crazy, but I don't think it matters if it is locked up or not. When the law states firearm dealer or gun range, I take that to mean not just the physical dwelling or range, but the property as a whole. So since the gun range and gun store own or at least have rights to the parking area, the walk to your car is no different than the walk from the counter to the door. That's my take on it anyway.

The gun shops near me are all on pretty high density city blocks so sometimes I have to park around the corner on the public street...