Frank Jack Fiamingo

*** Please Vote For Website URL Name ***

Yes RH, I think it would be a good idea to pick a name where we could snag all three. .com, .org, and .net.

Btw :-) (And here comes the PITCH... ) Since we are now expanding into ALL of NJ, why not join us. We could use a guy with your talent and knowledge. Consider it. Thx.

EXCELLENT! If you are interested, the next meeting is Monday August 9th at 7:00PM at Brick Armory. Milton and Jamie were kind enough to give us the use of a room to use for the meeting. I am expecting a pretty good showing. It would be great to meet you. When you get a chance, join the Ocean County Gun Club user group. Maksim has agreed to change it for me to New Jersey Second Amendment Society - our new name. That should happen pretty soon. We have a bunch of polls going on for members of the group to choose a website name (as you know). There are also some possible logos that have been submitted. Also.... we are looking for people who would like to be officers. There are currently four positions to be filled - Pesident, VP, Secretary and Treasurer. We may actually want to have more than one VP and Treasurer. So, if you are interested, please let me know and I will put you on the list of candidates. Also, if you know anyone else who would make a good officer, as a member of the group, you are welcome to make nominations. OK, I have talked too long (again). thx.

As much as I'd like to be a full-fledged member, I won't be able to make very many trips to BA. I understand you're not exclusively an ocean county club, but I'm still quite the distance away :(

However, I'll provide my technical backing wherever necessary. If there is someday a chapter of sorts further up north, I'd be able to do the sit-down much more often.

Fair enough RH. We appreciate whatever you can do. I do have a question. Since I don't think it matters WHERE you register domain names, if we wanted to register all three (.com, .org, and .net), *AND* have them all forwarded to the .com site, how and where is the best/least expensive (aka cheapest) place to do this. :-)

I check at Network solutions, and I can get all three NJSASOC.CO, .ORG and .NET, and have them all forwarded for one year for like $141.00. I am tempted to go ahead and grab this., but I have no clue if this is a fair price. How does it sound to you?

This got posted out of order, but you get the idea. .oO( too many open windows :-( )

Hi guys,

So far, NJSASOC.COM is winning. If it comes out on top, we can register .org and .net as well since they are all three available, and have them all forwarded to NJSASOC.COM. Obviously, this costs a little more, but I think it is worth it. If anyone knows of the cheapest way to achieve this, please let either me or wraenking know (he may already know - I don't). Once we have the names registered, we can go ahead and decide on the hosting. We will have to keep in mind, if we are going to use hosting for email, and how much space we think we will need, as well as limits on attachments and mailbox quotas. There is a lot to consider. So, one step at a time.

Mainly, if you haven't voted yet, and you have a preference, now is the time to do it. We will be making a decision on this tomorrow. Thanks.

Fair enough RH. We appreciate whatever you can do. I do have a question. Since I don't think it matters WHERE you register domain names, if we wanted to register all three (.com, .org, and .net), *AND* have them all forwarded to the .com site, how and where is the best/least expensive (aka cheapest) place to do this. :-)

That's done on the hosting side, as your host will provide the nameservers that you enter into the registrar (where you buy the domain). The forwards themselves won't cost money, just the domains. I recommend you stay away from Network Solutions, it's a ripoff. Godaddy or 1and1 are both excellent choices :)

i like the NJSASOC.COM just because its .com and more easily searched but .org on the other hand sounds more professional because it symbolizes an origination

Thanks RH. I wasn't sure about that. You are prolly right about Network Solutions. They charge to forward the other domains. As long as wherever we wind up hosting, can support the options we think we will need. I don't have a preference. I just know from experience that some don't provide consistent email service, or have very small quotas, or don't allow large attachments, etc. So, once we see what we need, we can decide on hosting. I think for now, we should just register the names. Unless I am missing something.

OK. I have used hostgator for a long time with no problems.

http://www.hostgator.com

You can compare it to 1and1 , but i think hostgator outdoes them. Terrific support also. And everything is pretty much unlimited.

I am emailing 1and1 about njsas.com , and i am emailing the owner of njsas.org about releasing those domains. Neither are being used.

I personally think we should get the .com addy because that is what most people use. The .US is nice but it will take people to remember that to get to the site.

Why not get both and just point one to the other?

OK folks - we have a winner. NJSAS.US it is. I am going to give wraenking the go ahead to register the name and setup a website with a host that will meet our initial and foreseeable needs. Once we have the basics established, we will be looking for contributors to add relevant content. For now, I would like everything to go through wraenking. We can decide at the August 9th meeting how we want the website to be administered. This is going to be a bit of a learning experience for all of us, but nothing we can't handle. I think the best course of action is to "keep it simple" and promote our mission. We can always "Jazz" things up later.

Wasn't going to post but I feel like you guys are making a huge mistake. I would not register anything that's not a .com website. No one uses anything but .com these days so just off the bat you are already going to have a non-memorable url.

Just my .02

I appreciate your concerns Matt. We did discuss this, but the majority did decide that they prefer the .US domain over the alternatives. Although I agree with your concerns to a certain extent, I also feel that for an organization that centers around Second Amendment issues, perhaps the .US domain WILL stand out in people's minds. Worse case scenario. If it turns out that we have made a mistake, we will have to take our lumps and make a change. We'll have to see. But I do appreciate your post. Why not consider joining us. We need every gun enthusiast interested in protecting our Second Amendment rights to get involved. We are trying to expand into all the counties of NJ.

Thanks Tim,

We have a lot accomplished. I hope to wrap up a lot of the structural issues at the August 9th meeting. Then we can get to work on our mission. I have received a LOT of support from staff and members of this forum, for which I am sincerely grateful. :-)

THANKS ALL!