Maksim

Trap & Skeet Shooting Fundamentals

Here is a great trap shooting booklet put together by Remington that I thought others would find of value.

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/ ... _2004.ashx

And one for skeet...

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/ ... _2004.ashx

I should still have a training dvd put together by maybe pachmyr anyway there is a trap dvd and a sleet dvd. I would say they helped me I will look for em and poss put them out there is the pass around section of forum or pm if interested

If anyone wants some 1 on 1 lessons I can work with you either at lehigh valley sporting clays or clinton WMA. I do shotgun instruction and enjoy sharing what I know.

Last time we were at Lehigh Valley, Glenn moved up on the couple in front of us, swept the young lady away from her clueless boyfriend, and showed her how to aim properly. She hit the next one!

If anyone wants some 1 on 1 lessons I can work with you either at lehigh valley sporting clays or clinton WMA. I do shotgun instruction and enjoy sharing what I know.

Will an HD 12 gauge work with an 18" barrel? I wanted to get to Clinton WMA for the Shotgun class.

Will an HD 12 gauge work with an 18" barrel? I wanted to get to Clinton WMA for the Shotgun class.

It isnt ideal. While it is allowed for the class, I'de recomend using one of the state guns for 3 reasons. You dont have to clean your gun after, you can learn easier on a ribbed barrel set up to shoot clays, and you save the funny looks from everybody.

As far as practical clay shooting you will be handicapped with cyl bore plus the lack of a rib. If you have ghost rings or rifle sights you are at an even further handicap

Glen,

I have never shot either of these disciplines but have always wanted to. I am tapped at this time with what I have bought this year already but what gun or line of guns would be best for someone new and on a budget. not getting anything right now but for my own research as a starting point.

I have seen and like the Extrema 2 but that's out of my price range and probably a lot more gun than I would need for a beginner.

Harry

Glen,

I have never shot either of these disciplines but have always wanted to. I am tapped at this time with what I have bought this year already but what gun or line of guns would be best for someone new and on a budget. not getting anything right now but for my own research as a starting point.

I have seen and like the Extrema 2 but that's out of my price range and probably a lot more gun than I would need for a beginner.

Harry

I'll jump in here as well, since I instruct with GlennP as well. Shotguns are great in that you can get in the game for $100 or less and be competitive(old single shot, break open guns). In reality shotguns are like just about every other type of gun, you need to shoot several different types to determine which fits you best. For instance, I like pump and semi-auto guns, and can't stand Glenn's expensive fancypants over/under. GP and I will probably make several trips to Clinton WMA over the summer to bust clays.

Jon hit the nail right on the head. It depends on how it feels to you. Over unders have an advantage because you can have two different chokes at the same time and select between them. Also, you have the second shot without having to pump or depend on a semi auto cycling. Plus they are downright gorgeous :wub:

For starters I'de reccomend coming out and trying some different shotguns. Between jon recessedfilter and I we could scrounge together overunder, auto, pump, single shot break open and bolt action shotguns and you can see what you like.

jOn:

Wow for around a hundred I could do it, but I have herd that before, I'll point you to my ammo supply of close to 10K in .380 and higher :) ..

I have learned GUNS ARE CHEAP, but shooting them isn't.

Glen:

Appreciate the offer and will take you both up on it over the summer, just a tad bit booked up for a little while.

I'll just keep reading for now and learning from you guys and wait until I actually shoot some different ones to see what I will like the best.

I can see it now:

jOn: get the semi

GP: O/U

jOn: Semi

GP: O/U

Me: alright already, I get them, ah honey you might not believe it but look what I just picked up from this little old lady's garage sale on the cheap.

Harry

Well, the wife and I took the Remington 1100 I bought from TBtrout (Tim) on here out for some Trap Shooting today. Neither of us had ever done this before. We had some help from a friend of ours who was with us.

Well, she hit 12 of 25 on her first round, I hit 11. :(

After some people gave me some instruction on how to do it I then hit 18 of 25. The first round I was waiting way too long to pull the trigger. I thought we had to let them get out away from us further, DUH!

We had fun, the gun worked great Tim, thanks! Went back to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought 4 more cases of shells (bought one this morning too). Good sale, $48.90 per case of 250!

Was a nice little place in West Windsor. Open to the public for Trap Shooting twice a week, $4 per round for non-members, $3 for members. Hit the odd-colored bird and you get a card for a free round for another day. People were very helpful and there were several Remington 1100's there, besides some really nice O/V's.