bulpup

Combos?

Plus, they don't make a left-handed version.

Ray, does handedness matter on a pump shotgun with a tang on the top of the receiver? Does the ejection side mess you up with a righty shotgun?

?????????????????

.... what? All I see is squares....

And Bulpup's combo is nice...

Yea, I am very happy with the M500 combo. I saved $150 for my first buy (over the 870) and got a bunch of toys to boot.

The combo I got is all hunter though, and not at all what I would want for HD, but that's ok...a new barrel is a thumbscrew away.

I got this M500 combo specifically because of an interst in hunting deer and fowl with it. If I were looking for an HD I would mostly likely have gone with an HD specific 870 and not a combo.

.... what? All I see is squares....

And Bulpup's combo is nice...

If I were looking for an HD I would mostly likely have gone with an HD specific 870 and not a combo.

:pray:

I have the Mossberg 500 Combo. It came with the 18" home defense barrel and the 28" vented rib barrel. The gun is well built and can take a beating. If you needed a gun that you didn't feel bad about getting mucked up while out hunting, I would take the Mossberg. Also, I like where the safety is positioned on the gun. It is a tang on the top of the receiver. It feels better placed and more natural to activate/deactivate than Remington's. Frankly, I don't think the base level Remmy shotgun is worth more, or better built than the Mossy (but that is just my opinion).

I also have a Remmy 1100 Trap shotgun. It is a step up in class, so there isn't really a comparison to the base level Mossberg. I will say that Remington Quality Control has been shitty for the last few years on all but their top-of-the-line rifles. Do an internet search on "Remington Quality Control". Of course the 1100 came with a cracked front handguard, which Remington replaced. And the first time I took the gun out, the front sight bead cracked in half. Remington replaced it too. I am hoping nothing else goes wrong with it. At least they have good customer service. But I just wanted to show that I am not a blind Mossy partisan or Remington basher. :)

+1, well put!

I have a mossy 500 shotty that I trust for SD and a Remy for trap and possibly HD (in the works) with a cut-off barrel.

Plus, they don't make a left-handed version.

Ray, does handedness matter on a pump shotgun with a tang on the top of the receiver? Does the ejection side mess you up with a righty shotgun?

IS that a porkroll egg and cheese in your avator

It most certainly is. I grew up with it in North Jersey as Taylor ham, but that doesn't have the same flair as Pork Roll. I am a convert. :)

pork roll or taylor ham? it depends on what part of jersey you're from. this photo shows the mason-dixon line of the best damn breakfast meat on the planet! (blue denotes taylor ham and red denotes pork roll)

http://isweatbutter.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -pork.html

I dont consider myself a piney

taylor+ham+pork+roll+map.jpg

I had the same dilemma back in 2008 when buying my first shotty. I asked everyone I knew and got the same answers you're getting here. In the end, I chalked up the extra cash for the 870. Since it was my first gun purchase, I figured if there was any difference in the long run, I wanted to make it worthwhile - something to pass down to my kids as Daddy's first gun. Of course, I wish I sprung for the Wingmaster, but then I'd never want to take it outside. I'm happy with the 870 - it really does take a beating and the synthetic stock is definitely durable. I ended up getting it in an OD green color, and it works nice for hunting. I really can't complain about the performance with either barrel and it's been very smooth all around. The only catch is that the plastic part of the stock by the rails seems to wear a bit - this is a concern long-term, but I can always replace it if need be.

I have no experience with the equivalent 500, so I really can't state whether I feel this purchase was better or worse than if I went with Mossberg. I can just state that overall I'm happy with the purchase. At the time I think I paid $375 or so for the 870 express combo. Best of luck and let us know what you end up getting (pics).

I agree. The 870 Wingmaster is in an entirely different class (in quality and price), without a Mossberg equal. After reading up on the 870Express, I am convinced that there is barely a difference between it and the Mossberg. Neither one is a finely crafted piece of precision workmanship. Both are durable as hell. For breaking clays I have a nice Remmy 1100. For home defense, the woods, etc, either of the two companies base models would have done equally well. I chose a Mossy 500 for the tang safety. Some will choose the Remmy for the steel receiver. YMMV