Blcklightning

The New Remington R1

Has anybody checked out the new 1911 from Remington?

http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firearms/Model-1911r1.aspx

Rem1911-34552-prod.ashx?w=500

Swung by my local FFL after stopping by Sarco on Thursday and saw that he had the new Remington R1. He told me that he has sold a couple of them and that people really like them. A couple months ago when I was telling Pizza Bob that I would like to get a 1911 he said I should check out the R1 when it became available. From handling the R1 in the shop it had a very nice fit and finish and felt great in my hands. If I had a permit and the cash, I probably would have walked out with it.

Does anyone own one or has anyone else shot one? Some quick googleing seems to bring up positive results and experiences so far.

As soon as I left the shop I went to the PD and put in for a new permit (Now only 1 permit every 30 days? :? ).

Two issues though: I'm low on spending money (Wife found out about the permit and was not happy. :( ) and I originally wanted a SS 1911. As far as the cash goes, I plan on putting in even more overtime at work. As far as the SS 1911, I think that the R1 would make a great first 1911 and I can buy a fancy SS one later. 8-)

As soon as I left the shop I went to the PD and put in for a new permit (Now only 1 permit every 30 days? :? ).

Andris:

Are you saying that your PD will only issue one permit at a time? That's bogus, as we've heard over and over again. Contact the NJSP Firearms Unit and tell them what is going on - they'll call your local PD and straighten them out. There is no limit as to how many permits you can apply for/get at one time - just how many you can use in a given time period.

I am impressed with the R1 - nice thing is that it's made right here in the good old U. S. of A.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Are you saying that your PD will only issue one permit at a time? That's bogus, as we've heard over and over again. Contact the NJSP Firearms Unit and tell them what is going on - they'll call your local PD and straighten them out. There is no limit as to how many permits you can apply for/get at one time - just how many you can use in a given time period.

I am impressed with the R1 - nice thing is that it's made right here in the good old U. S. of A.

When the secretary told me, I asked her 3 times to make sure I knew what she was saying and also asked if this was "new". She had said yes. I knew all along this was B.S., but she said that my new permit should be ready by next week, so I can't complain about that. If it's only going to take a few days to get new permits then I can live with that. It's amazing how much confusion there is when it comes to all the ridiculous gun laws in this state.

+1 for made in U.S.A.

My town is about 60 days on permits. If they could do them in a week or two, I wouldn't be put out nearly as much if I could only get one at a time but they don't have a limit.

It's all a bunch of BS. We're the most highly investigated people who have to pass check after check after check. We as shooters in NJ are not the problem.

PK90 posted important information here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7411&hilit=general

If anyone is having a problem getting multiple permits, tell your PD to review the Attorney General's letter dated March 30th, 2010 that was addressed to all Chiefs of Police and signed by Major Marshall Craddock. More specifically, the bottom of page 5 as shown below. They can address any questions to Lt. David Schlueter (NJSP Firearms Unit) @ 609-882-2000 ext #2555.

ogam_letter.jpg

ETA: Better clarification and more information.

When the secretary told me, I asked her 3 times to make sure I knew what she was saying and also asked if this was "new". She had said yes. I knew all along this was B.S., but she said that my new permit should be ready by next week, so I can't complain about that. If it's only going to take a few days to get new permits then I can live with that. It's amazing how much confusion there is when it comes to all the ridiculous gun laws in this state.

+1 for made in U.S.A.

Normally I would agree with Pizza Bob and say go straight to the Unit, but since your PD is doing everything else right, that probably means that they want to do it right and are just misinformed. I would give them a chance to solve the problem on their own as a matter of etiquette. I would call the Police Chief first. Tell him how his personnel are doing a terrific job and that you appreciate their professionalism, but that you were denied the ability to get multiple permits, which they do not have the authority to do, and that you would be grateful if he could fix the problem. Reiterate that his people are doing a great job otherwise. If he gives you the same line, then call the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit. This issue is a bit of a pet peeve for them. The last time I called them about this kind of issue, the guy got mad. He told me how they had sent a letter to every PD in NJ and that he was going to call them and tell them that they are in violation of the law. Definitely a sore spot!

It seems like a good pistol for the money. Expect to find some cast and MIM parts for that price though. Series-80 style setup as well. Still seems like a good price for what you're getting. A good detailed field-strip and close-up photography can be found at this link:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275331

It seems like a good pistol for the money. Expect to find some cast and MIM parts for that price though. Series-80 style setup as well. Still seems like a good price for what you're getting. A good detailed field-strip and close-up photography can be found at this link:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275331

Follow-up Range Report

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275568

Another Thread

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=281136

Has anybody shot one yet?

It really does seem to be a good gun for the money. I'm pretty sure that I will pick one up.

to me this is a good comparison for the Remington R-15 ... Slightly unique in its field ,got its own look..but seem to be rock solid and really good quality and they bought really caught my inner eye of interest.

Like the Remington R-15, I don't have a traditional AR-15 and I like that R-15, and like having the one that is and even LOOKS different than everyone elses.

Same with this 1911, I don't have one but would like the one that despite its class, it's obvious quality etc. it's not the standard expensive -insert brand-here... and I like it for that reason.

Well done, but I am a AR stupid n00b and a 1911 absolute novice.