http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0061225229479a.shtml?cmCat=perf&rid=0987654321&cm_mmc=Performics-_-CSE-_-GoogleBaseUSA-_-0061225229479a&mr:trackingCode=A9AC62CB-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

I use those..... but with the loud stuff, I tend to double up.... plugs and muffs.

I would look into a nice set of thin profile muffs to shoot with....

Those are the ones I use as well, along with these:

I have some surefire EP-4's and they work really well, but I can only wear them for like 45 min or so before they get uncomfortable,

The biggest problem I have with them is that after about 3-4 hours my ear canal gets itchy sometimes. Doesn't always happen tho

I generally use muffs when shooting, but its a real pain with rifle shooting. I am thinking about using plugs. I shoot an M1A and Remington 700, so I need something that works with a loud report...Of all you guys/gals that use plugs, what brand would you recommend for comfort and effectiveness ?

For rifle I use the folding muffs from Walmart which have a low profile and don't hit the stock. They cost $13 and work well. I prefer to use the regular $7 Walmart muffs when I can because they do work better due to their thicker insulation. The plugs in my opinion are only good for .22. If you shoot three times a week, like I often do, the plugs are not even good enough for .22 in my opinion. Remember, hearing damage is cumulative. You don't have to feel pain to be doing damage.

Protecting you ears is not just a matter of plugging the hole. The outer ear still funnels the sound in. Sound travels faster though liquids and fastest through solids.

Ohhh... the plugs are good for going out to loud clubs. I get ones that are flesh colored. I cut them in half and insert them. Since I cut them in half they can not be seen at all and I don't look like a dork at a concert.

I have the Peltor 6S, and they've held up OK. Just this past Sunday, with the rain coming down, they held up fine even though the microphones (for hearing) are far from waterproof. I even left one of the sides on by accident, and battery life is still good (though I imagine I should swap it out before my next trip out). I am considering upgrading though to Sordins... seem more accessible, durable, and efficient.

ETA: I shoot primarily outdoors now. If I were to shoot indoors, I too would run my ear muffs w/ plugs.

I used the Surefire EP-4 ear plugs last week and they worked OK outdoors. They didn't seal as well as some foam plugs from Walmart, but they did their job. I just got a set of Peltor 6S muffs, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Have heard great things about the Howard Leight units as well.

In all my years I've never met anyone who regretted using too much hearing protection. There are plenty, including myself, who wish we wore better protection before it got too late. My friends are sick of me constantly asking them "what?" and I'm sick of it too. Check out a slim profile electronic earmuff designed for hunting / rifle use. Indoors I double up with foam plugs under the muffs.