bbk

Where to get/purchase steel plates?

I want to ring the gong, but am not sure where to start.

I want a plate that can handle center-fire rifle shooting. I would use the plate at a range like Range 14 (where I would put it out at 200yd) for reference.

What kind of steel should I be looking for? What are some reputable names? Could I just go to a scrap yard or hardware store?

One of the names I've seen in passing is actiontarget.com. They sell plates and stands, etc... for Range 14, would I need to utilize a stand or could I just prop it up on the ground near the berm? I ask because I saw some options at Action Target that didn't seem too bad:

http://www.shopactio...ice-target.html and http://www.shopactio...heavy-duty.html

Also, I was thinking of using 'Caution' tape to mark it (last time out, I remember I could hardly see Lunker's plate out there in the overcast/rain). I have it in yellow lying around-- any better colors?

Thanks for any suggestions.

What are you chucking at the steel? Rimfire, centerfire pistol, centerfire rifle or some mix of these?

If you're going to be shooting CFP, I highly suggest a 3/8" (minimum thickness) AR400 grade steel. This target should handle everything up to .41/.44 mag without cratering. If you're going to be shooting centerfire rifle, you need AR500 steel. Anything less will crater and not last long at all. A critical aspect to look at is how as it cut? Plasma cutting, if done incorrectly, can screw up the temper near the edges of plate, making it less durable. I highly suggest something cut with a waterjet. That brings me to my recommendation. Contact Ryan at Big Dog Steel (he goes by osuarchitect on Snipers Hide) and talk to him. Great prices, shipping, and a good guy to support.

• Like 1

Just checked Big Dog Steel out (http://www.bigdogsteel.com/). I really like their targets (esp coming with mounting holes if need be), and the prices are very competitive (their prices include shipping). Thanks for sharing, Ty, pretty sure I found what I was looking for :)

+1 plus I really like the 12x12 skull target.

Ryan's targets are also waterjet cut so the temper is consistent, edge to edge. I've got four targets from him and couldn't be happier. My 155gr AMAX over 46.2gr of Win748 result in a muzzle velocity of 3000fps (on average) from my 5R and the steel targets I bought from him show 0 physical deformation.

From what it says, you can discuss/order custom targets with them-- which would be interesting... maybe get a NJGF themed steel plate :icon_e_wink:

And yea, Ty, I read more about the waterjet process, and I didn't realize the difference it could make. I'm pretty sure I'm going to inquire about the 12''x12'' square targets, and maybe get a stand for good measure (since its a pretty reasonable price).

Would weight lifting plates work? I got a whole mess of em left in the basememt when we bought our house. They are about 3,5, 7, and 12 inches across. Kinda heavy (duh), but are they made from pot metal or real steel? I figure I could hang em up from a cross bar. btw, shooting with .22, .38 and 9mm.

Would weight lifting plates work? I got a whole mess of em left in the basememt when we bought our house. They are about 3,5, 7, and 12 inches across. Kinda heavy (duh), but are they made from pot metal or real steel? I figure I could hang em up from a cross bar. btw, shooting with .22, .38 and 9mm.

I bet they would spin around a lot and prob ricochet but never tried it so cant't say for sure.

No, your weights are likely lead or other soft, cheap metal. Steel by comparison is expensive so not a good choice for weight lifting equipment. Being made of soft material, your weights will not hold up for very long against rounds of any time.

Ray, I will respond to the email they send with the cost for the Skull target with a quote for a possible group buy.

Okay, keep me (and us) posted. A group buy can really bring costs down. And i know the Fort Dix and Old Bridge range users will want in on this.

Here is the response from Ryan at www.bigdogsteel.com for the cost of the skull targets including folding stands, chains, mounting hardware, and stencil. I am waiting for Ryan's response about a group buy and have invited him to check out the forum. I also let Ryan know that it was Ty from Midwest PX that recommended his company.

I currently have both 3/8" and 1/2" thick 12" Skulls in stock. The stand and skull packages come with come with chains, mounting hardware and paper skull template for use as a stencil. The 3/8" thick skull and stand package would be $150 shipped and the 1/2" would be $165 shipped.

I can take paypal or money order/cashier's check. Please make checks out to Big Dog Steel. Paypal address is [email protected]. Please add 3% for the transaction fees.

Shipping address is:

PO Box 92

Saint Marys, OH 45885

Please include your mailing address, Sniper's Hide Alias and the items ordered in the envelope or paypal comments.

Thanks!

-Ryan

I got mine from wideners. They are 1/2" 500 Brinell.

I got the 16x9 shoulette, and (2) 5 inch squares. Pricey, but they hold up well. We keep shooting the **** out of the target stands.. I need to make up a new design.

Stationary with .30-06 HXP at 100 yards, just barely can see the mark. When I could keep it swinging, didn't leave a mark.

A bunch of us bought the wideners plates and have been using them regularly with no issue. I personally use mine at six at 200 yds with everything from 22 to 7.62x54, 8mm Mauser and 7.5 Swiss and the plate is still totally flat after hundreds of rounds. I have to repaint it with a visible color after a few dozen shots since the splatter scrapes the paint away but the steel doesn't so much as even dent. At the same yardage and same calibers, my old 1" mild steel target craters and dents with only 7.62x25 and the bigger calibers were tearing it to shreds.

A bunch of us bought the wideners plates and have been using them regularly with no issue. I personally use mine at six at 200 yds with everything from 22 to 7.62x54, 8mm Mauser and 7.5 Swiss and the plate is still totally flat after hundreds of rounds. I have to repaint it with a visible color after a few dozen shots since the splatter scrapes the paint away but the steel doesn't so much as even dent. At the same yardage and same calibers, my old 1" mild steel target craters and dents with only 7.62x25 and the bigger calibers were tearing it to shreds.

Can you post a pic of how you have it held up? I know i seen it before, but can't really search since the new system here. I've shot 2x4's in half, chain in half, rebar in half, tow straps shredded.. I need a target stand made of of the same steel the target is :-P

Redfish, was that a price for 1 target or a package of targets?

That was for 1 skull target and 1 folding stand with mounting hardware. One price was for a 3/8" skull target and the other was for a 1/2" skull target. The folding stands are $65.00 shipped so you can do the math for the price of the skull targets.