Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

Health Warning Shooting Lead

Spoke with a few people in person about it, however ran across the link and wanted to pass it on.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=307170

In only a few months of shooting lead bullets, the lead levels of a fellow shooters jumped to unsafe levels. Yet another reason why I choose to shoot FMJ, or better yet CMJ or JHP.

i was going to post something about this like a month ago. i had to take a lead paint training class for work. i asked the instructor about reloading making bullets and shooting them he told me that melt lead to form bullets is very dangerous as the lead starts to vaporize at melting temperature and that is when it is gets introduced into your blood stream. lead in your body goes to your brain and can make you mentally handicap. i will spend the extra $$$ and reload with fmj. i didnt wanna rain on everyone parade.

The last two years i have been replacing all my lead boolitz with lead safe boolitz as i use them up..this has been something i have brung up in the past and i was not so much worried about the reloading because you can wear gloves.. It was the shooting and vapors being inhaled i was concerned about..

Include in your reloading regimen the use of lead-free primers to cover all bases if this is a concern. Regular primers utilize lead styphnate in the priming compound, and is another factor that contributes to airborne lead. Lead free primers were developed some years ago but their availability is still sometimes limited. I stopped shooting indoors entirely a few years ago because of these concerns.

i was going to post something about this like a month ago. i had to take a lead paint training class for work. i asked the instructor about reloading making bullets and shooting them he told me that melt lead to form bullets is very dangerous as the lead starts to vaporize at melting temperature and that is when it is gets introduced into your blood stream. lead in your body goes to your brain and can make you mentally handicap. i will spend the extra $$$ and reload with fmj. i didnt wanna rain on everyone parade.

You ABSOLUTELY need to have good ventilation if you are casting Indoors. Although i havent casted in ages, when i did, i did it in front of a window, with a box fan blowing out the fumes. If i ever get to build the Shed/Workshop i want to, I plan on building a ventilated hood (Like in Chemistry Class in high School) to do my casting in.