Sign in to follow this  
Shane45

A couple works in progress

Getting close to finishing these two up. Still have a few parts to aquire for the STI. The Recon is coming out great! I really like how my ball mill cut came out. The STI was somewhat of a rescue. Got the frame from a guy that thought you could just assemble the items :icon_rolleyes: Unfortunately he started to file on it a bit. The slide is loose in the front were he went to town. I might have to peen the rails down.

wip1.jpg

wip2.jpg

alright, really dumb question - Shane, do you machine them yourself? build them from parts? I remember you mentioned somewhere you're building a 1911 from Damascus steel as one of your projects... you build them & sell them? nowhere near soon, but one day I'll own me a 1911 :)

Outside of the Damascus project, I guess its more accurately described as finish machining. Although I could fully machine one, there are too many companies putting out great frames and slides to go that route. So I buy gunsmith fit, oversize everything and machine and hand fit every part. NO part goes untouched. I also machine any changes. For example I like the rear to be flat as seen below. Or on the Recon, I did the ball mill cut on the slide. I also did a cut to remove a ridge Caspian leaves there. And now that the barrel is fit, I will match the BM cut on the frame. Never seen it done before so it will be a first(for me at least ;) ) . However, I am not an FFL so I only build for myself.

rear.jpg