J-Hawk

FN Herstal FNP-9 USG

I purchase a FNP-9 a couple months ago as my first handgun/firearm. I initially wanted to get a Walther P99 but the dealer didn't have any and I gravitated toward the FNP after handling in the store. My initial pre-range size up of this gun was that it looked awesome in the flat dark earth (FDE) and I really liked that since it was designed to compete in the military sidearm trials, it had a safety/decocker. I also liked the fact that it came with 3 magazines and a nice hard, lockable case.

I have put about 600 rounds through it so far at distances of 10 and 15 yards while standing unsupported and sitting, bench supported and I am impressed by its accuracy. It is also very quick to get back on target after firing. Initially the shells were ejected kind of sloppily and more than a few would hit me in the head but that problem has gone away with what I suspect was a break in period for the recoil spring. Changing the backstrap from the curved one to the straight one supplied with it also enabled me to improve my accuracy. The trigger pull is probably my favorite thing about shooting this gun; it is smooth all the way through in SA & DA and is really light in SA.

Maintenance is a breeze with the takedown lever. One thing to take note of is that since the frame is FDE blast residue becomes visible on the front part of the frame after shooting. It comes right off with a little bit of solvent and a Q-tip so no big deal.

The only big negative I have with this gun is the lack of aftermarket accessories. The only real accessories available for it are night sights and factory replacement barrels. I would give anything for a .22 conversion kit to be made available for it. Magazines are fairly expensive for it as well.

All in all, I really love this gun. The ergonomics are great and it handles quite nicely.

Pros:

-Hammer fired DA/SA

-Decocker

-Lightweight

-Accurate

-Tool-less takedown

-Great Price (I paid $410)

Cons:

-Lack of aftermarket parts

Sorry for the bad quality of pics, my camera isn't too hot:

img0758c.th.jpg

img0759k.th.jpg

Jeremy, tried PM'ing you but it said NO! I have a FDE FNP45 sitting at Tony's right now. Maybe you wanna talk me out of it :)

Funny, I tried PM'ing him too but no avail.

Thanks for the quick write-up on FN pistols, and I love 2 tone pistols.

Nice writeup and congrats on owning such a nice pistol. I held the FNP-9 last time I went out to Cabela's and I really liked how it felt in hand. The only thing that I felt was a rather large con is the lack of NJ compliant mags...I hate having to use neutered 10 rounders. Although it is pretty nice that FNH ships the pistol with 3 mags :) Have you found any good sources for FNP-9 parts at decent prices?

Haven't found anything for it outside of what a simple google search would bring up. I had the 16rd mags capped at 15 so I'll settle for having just 3 mags. I did buy a Hogue Handall grip sleeve for it, haven't tried it out yet though.

Haven't found anything for it outside of what a simple google search would bring up. I had the 16rd mags capped at 15 so I'll settle for having just 3 mags. I did buy a Hogue Handall grip sleeve for it, haven't tried it out yet though.

Who did the mag pinning? I'd love to pick one up if I can get a few 15 rounders with it!