Moose

IDPA This Sunday 11/21/10 @ Bridgewater

Who want to give it a try? Lots of fun and cheaper than going to any public range for an hour. I'll be at Somerset at 11:30am. $10 to participate and includes pizza. You'll need: A "Defensive handgun" with a minimum caliber of 9mm/.38 Special, a strong side belt holster, mag pouches to hold two spare mags, preferably four mags (minimum three), eye and ear protection, approx. 200 rounds of ammo.

More info here http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=NJ

Moose

Guest HuntingPaper

I'm almost sure I'll be there. I guess I'm going to need to find a "vest".

Guest HuntingPaper

Only if you've been classified, if not, no need.

Moose

How that works? But I need to cover the gun right?

using a vest is only requiered after you have done a classifier match. So if this is your first time, don't worry about bringing a vest. Once you get hooked, you will need one. I will check when they have classifiers and let you guys/gals know.

Moose

using a vest is only requiered after you have done a classifier match. So if this is your first time, don't worry about bringing a vest. Once you get hooked, you will need one. I will check when they have classifiers and let you guys/gals know.

Moose

What the heck is the vest for?

Guest HuntingPaper

To cover the gun. IDPA recreates defensive scenarios from a CCW situations.

What the heck is the vest for?

Steph:

IDPA is less "gamey" than USPSA (IPSC) and requires more "real-world" type equipment and actions. The vest is for concealment. With IDPA you always have to shoot from behind cover, if it's available, and you can't drop a partially loaded mag on the ground - you must do a tactical reload - remove and pocket the partial mag and insert a full one. Option is to shoot the gun dry (something that is avoided in IPSC) and drop the empty mag and replace with full, drop the slide and go. There are other differences, but I know about as much about IDPA as you do about rifles :icon_mrgreen:

Adios,

Pizza Bob<----still willing to show you where to insert it

Guest HuntingPaper

Dude... no can do. I don't have the equipment for it.

You do have the equipment. The only thing that you need to do is take your holster and mag pouches off the competition belt and wear them with a regular belt and since you are not classified you don't need vest or any cover.

You do have the equipment. The only thing that you need to do is take your holster and mag pouches off the competition belt and wear them with a regular belt and since you are not classified you don't need vest or any cover.

I have to check and see if my mag holders have enough resistance on them.

Guest HuntingPaper

I have to check and see if my mag holders have enough resistance on them.

Hope you can make it, if you need anything let me know. It will be my first too.

I think I will like this more than the uspsa. I will never be JJ Ricazza and have no want to be. I merely want to be able to be ready to rock if need be.

I like the idea of a more defensive take on things. Can't wait to get better and go from there. I bet you can use a pancake holster or even IWB for this.

I think I will like this more than the uspsa. I will never be JJ Ricazza and have no want to be. I merely want to be able to be ready to rock if need be.

I like the idea of a more defensive take on things. Can't wait to get better and go from there. I bet you can use a pancake holster or even IWB for this.

Yeah...you can. http://www.somersetidpa.com/uploads/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Hmm. Looks like my SERPA holster is legal. The Uncle Mike's double mag holder I have looks legal too.

Edit. NVM. Figured it out. Stock Service Pistol if you fire Double action on the first shot. Enhanced Service Pistol if it's cocked in single action for the first shot.

Hmm. Looks like my SERPA holster is legal. The Uncle Mike's double mag holder I have looks legal too.

Edit. NVM. Figured it out. Stock Service Pistol if you fire Double action on the first shot. Enhanced Service Pistol if it's cocked in single action for the first shot.

I have to see if my BladeTech DOH holster is legal. Doubt it. Looks like my Safariland is though so I may use the Beretta instead of the Glock.