Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Choke and shot for skeet...?

Improved Cylinder should be fine. It'll be a bit more open than a Mod, and at skeet ranges, there's still only a very small chance of the bird making it through the cloud unhit. As far as shot size, I'm pretty sure the Fudds at Sparta shoot #8 shot.

As noted above, SKEET or IC choke will suffice. These choke designations are most preferable. For a 12 ga. shooting 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. loads, you can use a CYL choke too. Best shot size to use is #9, but #8's work well. When I can find it, I split the difference and reload #8.5's. I think I am gaining an edge, even if it is only psychological. #8's are a good all-around size but as bore size shrinks, #8's are not always the best for pattern density. You're better off with #9's in the .410 and 28 ga. I shoot with a fellow who reloads #12 shot. He swears by it. It positively dusts targets.

Hope this helps clarify things. Enjoy.

Pull!

For sure! BTW barrel length has nothing to do with how a shotgun patterns. Your velocity is peaked by the time the shot exits, even on an 18" barrel because shotguns use pistol powders. Long shotgun barrels are for sight radius, weight (less recoil) and nicer swing/balance. Nothing to do with range or pattern

Hmm... So for skeet, I could have used cyl bore with my 24" barrel and probably would have had an easier time?

As glennp noted, barrel length has no effect on patterns. Forcing cone length, bore diameter, hardness of shot and choke constriction are all factors that affect patterning. Choke is the biggest factor; the others each all have an effect to a minor degree.

Here is a generalized chart for selecting a choke by choke constrictions and the range they are effective to, taking into account different target sizes found at clay events:

post-2303-098874800 1290009356_thumb.jpg

Ok well, I'm taking off that choke for the next time I go skeet shooting. Maybe put it on for Trap.

Don't shoot that gun without a choke in it. You'll screw up the choke threads. Get a Cylinder or Skeet choke.