henrym

One Gun a Month Exemption

I have done it, it's not hard. You fill out the sp-015 and some of the sp-016. Your part is relatively easy, but then the ffl needs to fill out all the info and serial #'s of the guns.

Remember, the exemption is good for taking more than one gun home at a time. You will need to wait 30 days inbetween purchases.

I have done it, it's not hard. You fill out the sp-015 and some of the sp-016. Your part is relatively easy, but then the ffl needs to fill out all the info and serial #'s of the guns.

Remember, the exemption is good for taking more than one gun home at a time. You will need to wait 30 days inbetween purchases.

Could you explain? How is taking a handgun home (i.e., possession, and use of a PP) related to time frame for purchasing a handgun? I think OGAM applies to how many handguns one may take home per 30 day period, am I missing something? What if several handguns are purchased in less than 30 days (or whatever) and sitting at a FFL?

I believe bry@n confused the issue with that statement. :icon_e_surprised::icon_e_biggrin:

The exemption allows you to acquire specific handguns regardless of the 30 day law. Any other handguns not stated on your request must follow the law.

I believe bry@n confused the issue with that statement. :icon_e_surprised::icon_e_biggrin:

The exemption allows you to acquire specific handguns regardless of the 30 day law. Any other handguns not stated on your request must follow the law.

I discussed this in length with Lt. Dave Sluetter (last name spelling, not sure of) at length and I believe I have it correct. Do not listen to Janet when you call the NJSP Firearms Unit, she is providing bad info.

I buy 4 guns on Jan 1, 2011. I have 4 PP to use. I may take gun # 1 home on jan 1, 2011. In the mean time, I get my exemption done/ approved for guns 2 & 3 . 31 days from (Jan 31, 2011) as long as guns 2 & 3 are on my sp-15/ sp16 form, I cant take them home on the exact same day. I then must wait 31 days from Jan 31, 2011 to take home my 4th gun.

I was told " the exemption allows more than one gun to come home on a single day, but you must wait 30 days between the use of permits."

how long does it take for one to be approved for the exemption.

Approx 30 days. Very simple and easier than going for PP or FID card.

Could you explain? How is taking a handgun home (i.e., possession, and use of a PP) related to time frame for purchasing a handgun? I think OGAM applies to how many handguns one may take home per 30 day period, am I missing something? What if several handguns are purchased in less than 30 days (or whatever) and sitting at a FFL?

read my above post.

If you ahve several guns at a ffl for you, your wife etc... you both should be filling out th exemption.

I'm not arguing with you because that is how I read it also. But I checked and was told that we have a law that only allows OGAM. That exemption is what allows that to change. meaning wait 30 days and use the form to it's fullest. Then wait 30 days to get anything else.

Yankess31 brought home 5-6 guns in one day with the exemption, so it is a decent deal.

I'm not arguing with you because that is how I read it also. But I checked and was told that we have a law that only allows OGAM. That exemption is what allows that to change. meaning wait 30 days and use the form to it's fullest. Then wait 30 days to get anything else.

Yankess31 brought home 5-6 guns in one day with the exemption, so it is a decent deal.

That's why I never call the NJSP and ask them their opinion. One would get 5 different answers. The law is available to see and it is up to the individual to interrupt it to the best of their ability.

I had a customer who waited 40 days for the exemption to be approved. I do believe that it was his local PD who sat on the forms.

• Like 1

I've done the exemption 3 times already and have also talked directly with Lt. Schleuter. I was told by him that any purchases (purchases meaning you are bring them home that day) made with an approved sealed exemption is completely exempt from all 30 day requirements.

That said, if you buy 3 guns on an exemption on Jan. 1, you can buy another gun on a regular permit(non exempt purchase) on Jan. 2, if you have another 5 guns on a different exemption you could buy them on Jan. 3 (or Jan. 1, or Jan. 2), You will however need to wait 31 days from from Jan. 2 to buy another non exempt gun.

I've done the exemption 3 times already and have also talked directly with Lt. Schleuter. I was told by him that any purchases (purchases meaning you are bring them home that day) made with an approved sealed exemption is completely exempt from all 30 day requirements.

That said, if you buy 3 guns on an exemption on Jan. 1, you can buy another gun on a regular permit(non exempt purchase) on Jan. 2, if you have another 5 guns on a different exemption you could buy them on Jan. 3 (or Jan. 1, or Jan. 2), You will however need to wait 31 days from from Jan. 2 to buy another non exempt gun.

I gave that exact example to him, just to be clear and he said NO!! He gave me the example I posted earlier. I will make it my business tomorrow to call and speak with him again.

I agree wit bry@n. I've read the statutes and it makes a distinction between "purchases" and "transactions". "purchases" refer to the execution of a single permit to obtain a handgun. "Transactions" refer to the business of executing one or more "purchases" at a time. With the OGAM law, you are limited to one purchase per transaction. the exemption then allows for more than one purchase within a single transaction with the prior approval, however, all transactions must still be spaced 30-days apart.

I understand you were told differently than me. The explanation that I got was that an exempt transaction/purchase is as though it never occurred as it pertains to non exempt transactions.

I copied the law below, but it is less than clear on whether non exempt sales can occur within 30 days of an exempt sale.

i.Restriction on number of firearms person may purchase. Only one handgun shall be purchased or delivered on each permit and no more than one handgun shall be purchased within any 30-day period, but this limitation shall not apply to:

(1)a federal, State or local law enforcement officer or agency purchasing handguns for use by officers in the actual performance of their law enforcement duties;

(2)a collector of handguns as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) who has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives;

(3)transfers of handguns among licensed retail dealers, registered wholesale dealers and registered manufacturers

(4)transfers of handguns from any person to a licensed retail dealer or a registered wholesale dealer or registered manufacturer.

(5)any transaction where the person has purchased a handgun from a licensed retail dealer and has returned that handgun to the dealer in exchange for another handgun within 30 days of the original transaction, provided the retail dealer reports the exchange transaction to the superintendent; or

8-3.4).[/b](6)any transaction where the superintendent issues an exemption from the prohibition in this subsection pursuant to the provisions of section 4 of P.L.2009, c.186 (C.2C:5

The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed to afford or authorize any other exemption from the regulatory provisions governing firearms set forth in chapter 39 and chapter 58 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes;

A person shall not be restricted as to the number of rifles or shotguns he may purchase, provided he possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card and provided further that he signs the certification required in subsection b. of this section for each transaction.