Sign in to follow this  
JackDaWack

Looking to join Cherry Ridge

Hey guys i want to join a range, and Cherry Ridge seems like the best one in the area. It's actually very close to me, and on the way to Mt. creek so it's like 35mins away...maybe 25 the way i drive up 287 and 23. I've never been there but i took a look on the web site and also a nice over view from google maps and the place looks amazing. I want to learn how to shoot at 300+ yards and nothing seems to offer that range wise like cherry ridge. Also will be using it for plinking .22lr and practice with 9mm I'm looking to join relatively soon as i know next Sunday is there join up day, but i may wait until January as i know i'm not going to have time this month with school and holidays. Is membership for a fiscal year? or from date acquired?

If i do join up, what would i need or be recommended for the range target wise since you need to provide your own. I was thinking like a nice metal plate that falls when hit and erects automatically, and a nice stand for paper. What are there rules for what you cant use? I'm sure they've seen it all at some point. people walking on with home made rigs... is that OK too?

I love the idea of an outdoor range, so much shooting diversity!

I also have no where to shoot my new AR, I know Bullet hole accommodates them, but i felt weird enough walking in there with my pistol from my car, plus 23yards with a rifle is kinda, no, really lame and im not just looking to fire off some rounds.

Hi Jack,

CR is a great range but you are limited to punching paper with rifles and pistols with the exception of rimfire firearms. At the rimfire range there are some knockdown targets and such but you can bring your own if you'd like.

At the shotgun range, you have to bring your own thrower to shoot clays, some NJGF members, like Me have an electric thrower.

The range membership is year over year, quarterly...or as far as I know it's still that way. If you join Oct-Dec, your membership expires Dec 31 the next year(Jan-Mar, exp Mar 31, etc.). They may have moved to Monthly year over year.

As for target stands, my suggestion, just buy the first one. They're $25. After that, you can make your own or buy more. I go through about 1 a year. Your call.

Any home made target stand needs to be made of wood and cardboard. No steel, no plastic.

If you would like to visit the range, feel free. You are not permitted up on the firing line without a sponsoring member but you can drive around the property and look at the ranges. I can give you a tour if you'd like and our schedules can cooperate, I live very close.

Also, if you do visit, and see a Range officer, go talk to them. Every one of them are nice guys and will answer any questions you may have.

and if you want to check out the place, just ask for someone to "guest you in"

you also get a nice newsletter and some discounts at various places. overall, my wife and I are very happy with our choice in joining. The rangemasters are all cool and nice. (they helped me get my first garand put back together)

Cherry Ridge is going to be your best bet in North Jersey. If you are any good at working with wood it would not be hard to build your own target frame, but it will have to be built to the specifications they provide to you. As Malsua said you can just buy one if that's easier for you.

Ps. watch yourself on 23, West Milford does sit out there often enough. Haven't seen Passaic county much since they laid off a number of guys a year or so ago. My office is on 23, so I watch the happenings everyday.

Cherry Ridge is going to be your best bet in North Jersey. If you are any good at working with wood it would not be hard to build your own target frame, but it will have to be built to the specifications they provide to you. As Malsua said you can just buy one if that's easier for you.

Ps. watch yourself on 23, West Milford does sit out there often enough. Haven't seen Passaic county much since they laid off a number of guys a year or so ago. My office is on 23, so I watch the happenings everyday.

I travel 23 to 287 every work day. During morning rush going south and evening rush going north, the cops never, ever pull anyone over. I've never seen it in 11 years in rush direction. The opposite directions and off peak are like the wildebeest at the watering hole. The cops are the giant crocs and someone is getting it somewhere on 23 at any given time. (I'm talking 23 north of Kinnelon RD, in Butler/Riverdale it can happen at any given time, any given direction)

Thanks Mark, I'm probably going to head up sometime in early January, most likely on the first Sunday. Maybe if your around after the holidays you can show me around.

Due to it being cold, we should watch the weather. If it looks nice, we'll post a note here and I'm sure we can get a couple guys to come shoot for a few hours.

im looking to join there, as well. can u just drive up and check it out? is there someone you can talk to onsite about joining?

Membership registration is on the first Sunday of each month. They don't accept memberships any other time. Get there around 8:30 or 9. The place fills up quick, no matter the time of year.If you want to just check the place out, just drive in and walk around. The ROs are all pretty nice, and if you have any questions about what's what or where, they'll gladly point you in the right direction.

im looking to join there, as well. can u just drive up and check it out? is there someone you can talk to onsite about joining?

Yes you can drive up there and check it out, but as Ken said, you have to do the range briefing on the first Sunday of the month to join.

I believe you can sign up online but you have to do the briefing before you can shoot.